Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Opinions on the GM CAI

Was thinking about buying it. I can get it for just over $300 then I can apply those goofy Chevy rewards points for another $110 off.

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...gaAthJEALw_wcB
FarmerFran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
People don’t like it for their reasons but I haven’t had issues. Get the tune that’s included and you’re good to go. I like the look and sound so I kept it. I do have drivability issues with the optional black race only filter but the blue street filter runs fine. I had jlt and rotofab as well. They’re all good and have their differences. Rotofab is on all the fastest cars but I have been running the gm cai with good times

I have no whistle even without running the anti whistle spacer. I also run the 95mm Tb with the soler adapter to a pray ported stock intake manifold, as well as the velossa ram air. All seems to work well together. Good luck
Tune required?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
It comes with it. Take the sheet of paper to your local gm dealer and they will do it for you no charge. The dealer gets paid through GM via one time use token
Interesting. It does not mention that on any of the GM sites. I do believe you, just saying, why would they hide a piece of information like that.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
Supaa_ant

love mine, sounds good, looks good, bit better throttle response. went to dealer for free ECU flash. I recommend it .
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
Supaa_ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Interesting. It does not mention that on any of the GM sites. I do believe you, just saying, why would they hide a piece of information like that.
This is true on the instruction sheet there is a billing code .
Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaa_ant View Post
love mine, sounds good, looks good, bit better throttle response. went to dealer for free ECU flash. I recommend it .
That is a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
FarmerFran

One more question... no harm not foul to leave the tune out until this crap passes right?

Or should I just wait until after and get the tune soon after I install?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Was thinking about buying it. I can get it for just over $300 then I can apply those goofy Chevy rewards points for another $110 off.

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...gaAthJEALw_wcB

Id buy it. Looks attractive under the hood. GM gives you a free tune to set it up. If they made one for the ZL1 Id buy it.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes I would go ahead and get one too! It dresses up the engine bay and you would get a slight hp increase and intake sound. I installed a Cold Air Inductions CAI on my 2016 2SS which is the same company that makes the Chevy Performance Intake about a year after I bought my 2016 and it ran off the stock tune. GM had to include a tune with theirs to make it legal to sell and from what I read in threads on this forum you need to get the free tune for warranty coverage. I say go for it as it does make a slight difference in sound and hp.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
Supaa_ant

Quote:
One more question... no harm not foul to leave the tune out until this crap passes right?

Or should I just wait until after and get the tune soon after I install?
You can install it and get the tune later , the car will run fine and your not gonna get any check engine light or anything like that. Nothing to worry about , it’s just an intake. Just make sure you install it correctly. Take your time get a good seal on the intake and use the tq specs on the instruction sheet pretty simple. Should take 30-40 min
Old 04-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I love mine, looks great, sounds great, free tune from the dealer, better throttle response and the best part, 50 state legal!

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Will the dealer still do the flash tune if you install this your self? Anyone do their own install and then take it to the dealer for the flash?
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
Will the dealer still do the flash tune if you install this your self? Anyone do their own install and then take it to the dealer for the flash?
Yes, I installed mine myself, took it to the dealer with the paperwork from the CAI and they did the flash for free...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
And I believe, your warranty stays intact with the GM CAI. Correct?
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote