Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
guccigrewal

Drives: Black 2018 ZL1 1LE
Help deciding between ZL1 or ZL1 1LE

Hey guys I just sold my 2018 Camaro 2SS after roughly 27,000 miles and two years of ownership. I dailyed it and loved the car to death. I’m looking now to upgrade to a ZL1 but I don’t know whether or not to get the 1LE. I want to know if even though the regular ZL1 doesn’t have the groundbreaking track times that the 1LE has, if the base ZL1 still handles well. This is because I have no intention of tracking it but I would find it worth it to get the 1LE still if it handles well. If the base ZL1 didn’t come in a 6 speed then I’d get the 1LE but now knowing that you can get both in a stick I’m torn between which to get. (The 1LE wing also makes me drool)
guccigrewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
BRM ZL1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
So I struggled with the same thing as you did as I love the look of the 1LE added aero parts. My friend has as 1LE so got to ride in it and drive it. Suspension was stiff but I did not think it was that bad I decided to just order a regular ZL1 6speed. I did not plan on tracking it and just use it as a weekend warrior for car shows and cruising on nice days. I had a sunroof in my 13ZL1 and enjoyed it so that did help in my decision to order a regular ZL1. Going to your handling question if you read any reviews on the 17 ZL1 you will see it does handle very well. Good luck in your decision you cant go wrong with either one both are amazing.
BRM ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
Shanekennett

Drives: 2022 Rivian R1T
If you do not plan on tracking it, go with the “regular” ZL1. I love my ZLE, but it is a track toy first and foremost. I don’t “mind” the rough ride but it is not my daily or anything close.
2015 Macan Turbo
Gone-2017 991.2 Turbo S
Gone-2018 Raptor, tuned, leveled, tires/wheels
Gone-2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE...track toy...
Gone-2010 Camaro SS, built NA monster...
Shanekennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
As a 1LE owner, don't get it. The regular ZL1 is perfect for your needs as a DD with no track time.

You'll get the magnetic suspension for daily driving and if you do track it, you'll be close to 1LE times.

The only reason I purchased the 1LE package was the insane discount, don't mind trailering it, and it's a street legal track car, which is punishing on anything but smooth roads.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanekennett View Post
If you do not plan on tracking it, go with the “regular” ZL1. I love my ZLE, but it is a track toy first and foremost. I don’t “mind” the rough ride but it is not my daily or anything close.
Same here... The OP made this answer very easy. Just as others have said.. get the ZL1.

I've had both and my ZLE is nothing but a track car that I trailer there. For daily driving you will have way more fun with mag ride versus DSSV and you have no need for adjustable camber. If you like the wing just put one on later.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
guccigrewal

Drives: Black 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM ZL1 View Post
So I struggled with the same thing as you did as I love the look of the 1LE added aero parts. My friend has as 1LE so got to ride in it and drive it. Suspension was stiff but I did not think it was that bad I decided to just order a regular ZL1 6speed. I did not plan on tracking it and just use it as a weekend warrior for car shows and cruising on nice days. I had a sunroof in my 13ZL1 and enjoyed it so that did help in my decision to order a regular ZL1. Going to your handling question if you read any reviews on the 17 ZL1 you will see it does handle very well. Good luck in your decision you cant go wrong with either one both are amazing.
First, thank you everyone for your help! And in response to the part about the handling from the reviews, that’s a big reason I came looking for help, because from all the reviews I’ve seen the base ZL1 is overlooked handling wise because everyone is talking about the handling of the 1LE. I just wanted to know if it’s at least somewhat sharp, will be good and fun for canyons on backroads, and not a ton of body roll like my non 1LE SS had. It wasn’t terrible but nothing special. Thanks.
guccigrewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:52 PM   #7
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
I bet less than 1% of ZL1 owners can push the car to its handling limits and be safe doing it. I base this entirely on my opinion.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Yes, it's sharp on the track settings.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccigrewal View Post
First, thank you everyone for your help! And in response to the part about the handling from the reviews, that’s a big reason I came looking for help, because from all the reviews I’ve seen the base ZL1 is overlooked handling wise because everyone is talking about the handling of the 1LE. I just wanted to know if it’s at least somewhat sharp, will be good and fun for canyons on backroads, and not a ton of body roll like my non 1LE SS had. It wasn’t terrible but nothing special. Thanks.
Bringing up body roll is probably the biggest difference between the two but still doesn't mean the non 1LE isn't sharp. Seems you're set on the manual but I'd give that auto a second look too. It's a complete game changer.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #10
flipnSara

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 1LE
When I first saw the M6 1LE in late 2017 I fell in love and knew that was my next daily driver. I didn't care if rode like the Flintstone's ride. I didn't want to have to "add the aero later". After borrowing one for a weekend I knew I could handle the stiffer suspension and was getting what I wanted. Will I track her, yes. Do I care if I track her, no, she's my daily and I am extremely happy I went with what I wanted instead of settling for a "better ride". A ZL1 will never have the look of a 1LE in my opinion. Drive both and get what you want.
flipnSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes to the Op, I think you would be better off getting a ZL1 instead of a ZLE! I really like mine and have no regrets getting it. Get a 6 speed too if you like to shift gears although there’s nothing wrong with the A10 automatic! Since you aren’t interested in doing track events then the ZL1 would be the best choice for you in my opinion! Good luck and either one would be a good choice!��
Old 03-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Also, you'll almost immediately need new tires with the ZLE.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:24 PM   #13
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
ZLE looks so much cooler... just have to do it for the looks alone IMO!
Old 03-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
For me this question is like deciding between a regular GT3 and a GT3RS. IMO, the only reason to get a regular GT3 is price, the RS costs a lot more and few people can afford one but many more can stretch to make payments on a new/used GT3. If I'm in the market for a super badass car like a Porsche GT and money no object, I'm getting the GT3 RS no doubt.

The great thing about the ZL1 is that the 1LE price is so close to the standard ZL1. I love the stiff suspension, it feels amazing and helps make every drive a unique experience. I bought a ZL1 to have a world class sports car and the closer I get to a street legal race car the better. If you're buying the ZL1 as a daily driver and never plan to track it that's a different story, but why would someone never track it? I wouldn't buy a ZL1 or any 500+ HP sports car if I planned to never track it.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote