Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
THE METH INJECTION Q&A FROM AN OLD GUY

Let me start off by saying everything has a place in the performance world and I am not against WM injection but feel like I need to share the potential downsides so people are more informed.

Probably one of the most asked questions I hear and see, because they are advertised to add power with no details as to how that power was achieved.

I have been dealing with Water meth Injection since 1981 LOL showing my age.

Q1. How much power will I get form adding Meth injection?

The truth is this is a loaded question and the short answer is NO, and the long answer is Yes there is potential.

Take a fully tuned car on gasoline, whether it is supercharged or NA turn the system on and LOSE 30 RWHP. TRUTH.

Q2. Then how do I get more power from WM injection?

Through Tuning, it must be combined with less fuel through the injection and more timing and this is where it gets hairy, a pump, line, solenoid, nozzle failure or running out of WM, can take out the engine when the fuel stops flowing you will have too much timing and not enough fuel for the air flow entering the engine.

Q3. Why does everyone recommend it on the internet.

LOL because crap flows downhill and gains momentum.

Q4. What applications best utilize WM injection

Water Meth injection works best on NON intercooled supercharged applications at what we deem at normal boost levels 8-12 psi. or very high boost applications that are intercooled but unable to keep IAT in check.

Q5. I don't have enough fuel to support my Supercharger can I just add WM injection.

This is a bad Idea on so many levels, NEVER use WM injection to supplement an inadequate fuel system for target HP.

Q6. At What IAT should I consider WM injection

I feel like 150 IAT is Normal and if your IAT is consistently above that start looking at the intercooler system first, not put a bandaid on a broken leg.

Once you have exhausted all options to improve your intercooler system then we start to consider WM injection.

Example on my personal car 1300 HP 427 with 25 PSI boost on Race gas My IAT starts a 100 degrees and was 200 degrees at the Stripe in a 1/4 Mile so this is a case where the enormous intercooler is just being overwhelmed by the heat production of the supercharger and needs some Help so I added Meth injection for intercooling.

Q7. I only have 91 octane but want to run 15 psi boost on my intercooled supercharged engine.

This is a case where Octane is the limiter and we can use Meth injection to supplement Octane and provide some IAT reduction but again refer to Q2. answer.

The better option is to add Octane.

Q.7 How much timing must be added to take advantage of WM injection?

This will vary widely with combination but in most cases 4-6 degrees before you start to see more power than on pump gasoline alone, SEE THE DANGER HERE?

Q.8 how much fuel do I have to pull from the tune.

That will vary widely based on combination, nozzle size, and controller settings, so the more WM you inject the more Fuel you must take away from the tune, SEE THE DANGER HERE?

Q.9 is WM dependable?

In my experience of dealing with it since 1981 the short answer is no, and that gets worse with installation and maintenance techniques.

Yes systems have gotten better but not to the point where I feel comfortable installing on every car that comes in the door like many shops.

Opportunity to sell something good or bad, OH they work great you need one, SMH.

I am not looking for any chest puffers to dispute anything stated here with their 1 experience with 1 system, this is meant to be informative discussion that anyone is welcome to ask more questions and add to the discussion.

As questions are asked I will add them to this thread along with my answers.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Very well said and I agree with the whole post. Thanks for sharing your years of experience with it.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Well said Ted and when I got my new 2650 we really backed off the Meth/water and basically almost turned it off last fall since it cooled down so much. I really didn't need it since it was getting pretty rich thru the traps of 11.25 and we were pulling some fuel along the way to lean it some and then went from 146 to 149 mph on the next pass by getting it back to about 12.0. Then the crank broke. Enough said on that.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
I've come to appreciate "Old Guys" as I have become an older guy!! Thanks for the insight and advice.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
2018ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 NFG
I agree with Ted 100% on this one! If you want to make BIG HP make the necessary adjustments to the fuel system! I know it can be BIG $$$$ but a blown engines aint cheap to fix either! Nice write up Ted!
2018ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Words of wisdom and a LOT of experience raised here Ted.

I belong to that same generation, who has been experimenting with all possible "add on" fluids and gasses during the years. Started off a little later though - 1985 LOL

Today I would never wish to be dependent on any additional fluids (or gasses), than fuel blends from the energy/petroleum conglomerates and their supply chain - not even for cooling only (as Ted mentions correctly, for better cooling, the inter/charge-cooling measures should be improved.
The tune should be written up based on the petroleum coming from the tank - period!
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Good info
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Thanks for the write up. Not sure what prompted the timely public announcement, but I have a snow kit waiting for me to get to it for my 2T. I am sure I will find diminishing returns with it, unless I hang ten toes off the table to get that benefit with timing at my 22psi boost, but want to explore for track use anyways. I take it there is no fail-safe ever considered for some reason or another. I am very curious how well built-in protection will work knowing we can isolate IAT timing and also tighten down KR response in the E80A. Or the ecu is known to be unreliable or ineffective at that extreme? Or it just doesn't work like that? Maybe just convert it into a IC spray cooler?

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Thanks for the write up. Not sure what prompted the timely public announcement, but I have a snow kit waiting for me to get to it for my 2T. I am sure I will find diminishing returns with it, unless I hang ten toes off the table to get that benefit with timing at my 22psi boost, but want to explore for track use anyways. I take it there is no fail-safe ever considered for some reason or another. I am very curious how well built-in protection will work knowing we can isolate IAT timing and also tighten down KR response in the E80A. Or the ecu is known to be unreliable or ineffective at that extreme? Or it just doesn't work like that? Maybe just convert it into a IC spray cooler?
You will run out of turbo before you can take advantage of water meth.

There are not many failsafes that I trust other than 1 set up I developed for a project years ago.

We installed a pressure sensor in the meth feed line and used it to trigger the scramble option on the boost controller so it would only add boost when pressure was high enough in the line.

No flow no boost increase.

Tuned it on 15 psi pump gas then set the boost controller for 22 on the scramble wire powered by the pressure sensor so more boost with 100% meth and no timing changes.

Being that you are controlling boost via the ECU I don't think you have that option.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
wookwook

I just want to say thank you for taking interest in my project. The boost curve is exactly what is driving my project. My objective is marked in blue pencil. its not hard to connect the dots. The new controllers are progressive and one variable is how sensitive and repeatable the controller is actually. I made an X where a possible spray ramp in point would be. I think i would use diluted meth (wash fluid) and watch the behavior for a while before full 50/50 dosing. maybe even step down the nozzle too. just watching and logging for a good while. LTG is very sensitive to changes. My power objective is to retain factory low end.

I see your on CT and not to far from southern NH. There's a good market for 2T work too.

Name:  mw-chart.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  145.0 KB

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 01-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

We service all american performance vehicles yours included.

Your calibration needs some work you should schedule an appointment for a dyno tune.

Ted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I just want to say thank you for taking interest in my project. The boost curve is exactly what is driving my project. My objective is marked in blue pencil. its not hard to connect the dots. The new controllers are progressive and one variable is how sensitive and repeatable the controller is actually. I made an X where a possible spray ramp in point would be. I think i would use diluted meth (wash fluid) and watch the behavior for a while before full 50/50 dosing. maybe even step down the nozzle too. just watching and logging for a good while. LTG is very sensitive to changes. My power objective is to retain factory low end.

I see your on CT and not to far from southern NH. There's a good market for 2T work too.

Attachment 1017741
Old 01-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
Ted would you say that a 630cc single nozzle setup isn't really pushing much in terms of fueling?
i have a simple setup that CSP did for me and im just making sure i have my basis covered in case something happens to a pump or nozzle.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JEVmRsbU4zbWpR
103 TB
Lingenfelter Lower Pulley(9.17)
1 7/8 ARH headers and Exhaust
Meth injection(single nozzle)

733whp/788tq
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr View Post
Ted would you say that a 630cc single nozzle setup isn't really pushing much in terms of fueling?
i have a simple setup that CSP did for me and im just making sure i have my basis covered in case something happens to a pump or nozzle.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JEVmRsbU4zbWpR
The size of the nozzle is only part of the flow data, pressure at turn on, ramp rate, and finish pressure greatly alter the flow.

There is no way I can answer your question accurately.

To find answers to your question I would need your car here on my dyno to evaluate the tune and collect and evaluate data.

Ted.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
wookwook

The joys of living with the 2T. Ramp graphs are usually a good deal different than row graphs. Its always a work in progress. planned MW is blue pencil.

Name:  mw-chart-1.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  125.7 KB

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106