Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Elite Catch Can on 2016 Camaro V8 Instructions

First thing to understand is how the new 2016 Camaro LT1 GDI V8 PCV system works.

First, clean/fresh side air enters the engine crankcase from a hose connected to one of the oil sump wings on the drivers side of the air bridge assy. This is filtered, MAF metered and then enters a factory cleanside separation tank (no separation from the factory on the dirty/foul side of the PCV system where 90% plus of the oil and other contaminates enter the intake air charge.

From the factory separation tank, this fresh air then splits and travels to each valve cover.

(Ignore the “ Sound symposer” tube that brings acceleration sound to the cabin. It is the large diameter hose going down from the air intake bridge)

With the Elite E2 and E2-X dual valve systems (only proper system for the new GM GDI V8 engines) we replace the factory oil fill cap with the Elite billet CSS and then delete the factory line from the clean side oil sump and factory tank and cap the tank side with the enclosed 1/2” vacuum cap.

Then we connect the CSS barb (1/2” barb and hose) to the barb on the oil sump located on the drivers side of the air bridge assy. That completes the clean side of the system (ignore these steps if NOT running the CSS as the factory setup will work somewhat well IF you run the dual valve catch can, but we recommend installing the CSS as these GDI engines cannot tolerate ANY ingestion).

Now we move to the dirty or foul side. This is where most of the compounds enter that cause the intake valve coking and other issues ALL GDI engines experience.

This is a U shaped hose that connects the valley cover to the intake manifold vacuum barb. On the LT1, this is located underneath the throttle body and is accessed from the drivers side:

The lower barb is the Factory PCV connection. This is where the foul contaminate laden vapors exit the crankcase and are drawn into the intake manifold and contaminate the intake air charge from this point. Underneath this barb is a fixed orifice check valve (we have been using these for years, GM just recently added them) and that is how the flow is controlled. You connect the lower barb to the center of the can with no other valves inline. Then we take the top barb (vacuum source) and run a hose from this to one of the outer fittings on the Elite can. Make sure you install a checkvalve in this line flowing AWAY from the can. This will provide crankcase evacuation suction when at idle, cruise, and deceleration utilizing intake manifold vacuum for the suction source.

The second outer fitting on the can with checkvalve flowing AWAY from the can, will attach to a barb you install just in front of the throttle body (as close to the TB as possible). We supply the barb, and you simply drill with a 3/8” drill bit into the soft portion of the air bridge assy. Right on the top and then firmly push the thread portion of the 90* fitting into the hole. This will take over and provide suction to continue crankcase evacuation when intake manifold is not present, during acceleration and at WOT. This drastically improves the functions of the PCV system while still retaining emissions compliance. Note: This is CRITCAL with all GDI engines, as if left with a single outlet can any time your accelerating crankcase pressure is allowed to build and this not only pushes backwards out the clean side, it also is the period when the suspended contaminates entering as blow-by settle and mix with the engine oil instead of being removed via the PCV system.

To mount the can, with the air bridge assy and engine cover removed, you can access the driver side cylinder head in the front. Using the M8 bolt and split washer, mount the Medium L bracket to the front of the cylinder head using the unused bolt hole in the head.

The picture above is the C7 corvette, but mount location is the same from the driver side cylinder head. Fit is tight, but it mounts underneath the air bridge assy.

The drain valve can have a drain tube attached to it as well that allows you to drain underneath with a pan placed under the car in that location. You can simply open the ¼ turn drain valve and let the contents drain.

Now you have the most robust solution period available to prevent intake valve coking as well as the detonation and other issues the oil and other contaminants cause.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elite Engineering; 07-14-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Will a gen 5 Elite can work on a gen 6? I never had a chance to fully install mine and it's sitting in the box.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Ok. Was just on your website and don't see anything for the 2016 Camaro. When will it be available? Thanks

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Elite Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Ok. Was just on your website and don't see anything for the 2016 Camaro. When will it be available? Thanks

Sorry, we just updated our website to a newer "mobile" version. We'll get this vehicle added next (hopefully today).
Old 07-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Hyper1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Will a gen 5 Elite can work on a gen 6? I never had a chance to fully install mine and it's sitting in the box.
If you have the 3 port catch can like they are recommending I would say yes.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
im fairly sure mine is for a 5th gen. thats what my install directions were for. it even came with the hockey stick style bracket. I installed mine on the front, drivers side head, where there is a bracket for a connector. put it behind the connectors bracket and just a matter of cramming your hand in there to screw in the can. (I took my airbox out to do it)

If i could do it over i would have gotten the mishimoto only because it looks easier to service. I love the look of mine, but its gonna be a pain unless they come out with a bracket to put it somewhere where the mishimoto is.
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
Hyper1SS

@EliteEngineering what is the difference between E2 and E2-X?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchittd View Post
im fairly sure mine is for a 5th gen. thats what my install directions were for. it even came with the hockey stick style bracket. I installed mine on the front, drivers side head, where there is a bracket for a connector. put it behind the connectors bracket and just a matter of cramming your hand in there to screw in the can. (I took my airbox out to do it)

If i could do it over i would have gotten the mishimoto only because it looks easier to service. I love the look of mine, but its gonna be a pain unless they come out with a bracket to put it somewhere where the mishimoto is.
Hey Dubchittd,

Thank you for the post and kind words.

For anyone looking for additional information regarding our catch can feel free to visit the link below.

http://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-c...-can-2016.html

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us directly at Support@Mishimoto.com and one of customer service reps will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Mishimoto
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Elite Engineering

Quote:
@EliteEngineering what is the difference between E2 and E2-X?

Great question, and as we see some choose the wrong solution for their application this should help all in understanding how to match the "right" Elite solution for your vehicle/build.

Here is a guide in a nutshell:

The base Elite was designed years ago, and for years was one of the most effective units you could buy as far as port injection engines were concerned. As we have always invested in better, improved, and appropriate solutions for all engine applications, we then released the E2 with larger capacity and dual outlets for use on big power builds and forced induction needs.

As Direct injection engines became the standard, and they cannot tolerate even small amounts of oil ingestion, we redesigned our E2 Catch Can and introduced the E2-X. Both are designed to be the best solution for all GDI engines (the V6 is GDI as are all GM V8's from 2014 and up except Camaro 2016 and up). We developed these as the ultimate solution with no more effective solution on the market.

The E2-X Ultra is for the big power, big boost builds and is effective for well over 1000 WHP.

The Billet cleanside separator is a must with ANY catchcan system as well.

So, for the budget minded buyer with a port injection engine, the base Elite is still one of the best solutions for the money as it always has been.

The E2 was recently revised to utilize some of the features that make the E2-X so effective showing our constant commitment to providing the best solutions instead of the "same old" that most competitors offer.

Note: the E2-X has a ball valve drain on the bottom to empty, while the E2 Catch Can has a screw off removable base for emptying.

So for a GDI engine, the E2 and E2-X with dual valves and cleanside will provide the best possible solution available period. And we stand behind this claim with the "catchcan test" where you install our E2 or E2-X inline AFTER any other can, and run for 1000 miles or more. Our Catch Cans will trap as much or more than any of the other cans in most cases AFTER the first can did it's best. Then swap the order and almost nothing gets past our E2 or the E2-X Catch Can

So, the Base Elite. our original is still a great solution for the budget minded consumer with a port injection engine, but if you have a DI engine, look at the E2 or E2-X as your best solution.

Do it right, do it once, Elite Engineering USA
Old 07-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Hyper1SS

Thanks for the info Elite Engineering. So what kit do I need for my 2016 SS? Still don't see it listed on the website. Thanks

Old 07-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #11
Dubchitts

Update: Got the correct mount and absolutely love it now, the stainless steel line is a nice touch
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #12
Hyper1SS

I like the catch can mounts on the 5th Gen versus the Gen 6 so far. I do not want to stuff the can in a tight spot where I have to drain it from a hose on the bottom or have to unscrew bolts and lift to get to the can to drain. There has to be a better solution!!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:15 AM   #13
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
I like the catch can mounts on the 5th Gen versus the Gen 6 so far. I do not want to stuff the can in a tight spot where I have to drain it from a hose on the bottom or have to unscrew bolts and lift to get to the can to drain. There has to be a better solution!!
I've got mine in front on a custom bracket and it's very easy to unscrew and empty. I'm using the Mishi can but a bracket can be made for anything. Even my Forza bracket is attached in a better spot than they recommended by just using another bracket that was laying around.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #14
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I've got mine in front on a custom bracket and it's very easy to unscrew and empty. I'm using the Mishi can but a bracket can be made for anything. Even my Forza bracket is attached in a better spot than they recommended by just using another bracket that was laying around.
+1. With mine there it unscrews easily. I'm not sure about how the ones with 3 fittings are, maybe you can't unscrew the can? I don't see a reason to do that one yet. My can is catching oil, and upon pulling the line off at the intake, I see no oily residue in the hose yet