Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Turbo Flutter Mod good or bad?

Hey I was wondering if its a good idea to have a turbo flutter sound on my 2.0L turbo I've heard mixed reviews about it and I was wondering if its even possible to produce such a sound with the current turbo that we have??
Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
flutter generally means bypass/bov not working and not good. Unless you are talking about some other noise than what people normally mean with turbo flutter.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
flutter generally means bypass/bov not working and not good. Unless you are talking about some other noise than what people normally mean with turbo flutter.
Yes.The intentional sound sound u create

Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
DWS909

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS Turbo
Turbo flutter won't hurt the engine. But it can hurt performance and the turbo if you are pushing 15lbs or more which our cars are. When you let off the throttle, the built up pressure has nowhere to go so it goes in reverse and the turbo spins backwards. So it will take more time to regain boost and puts unneeded excess pressure on your turbo. That being said it sounds cool, but so does our bpv if you are running an open top intake. Personally I wouldn't do it because of the chance of wearing out your turbo faster
DWS909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #5
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS909 View Post
Turbo flutter won't hurt the engine. But it can hurt performance and the turbo if you are pushing 15lbs or more which our cars are. When you let off the throttle, the built up pressure has nowhere to go so it goes in reverse and the turbo spins backwards. So it will take more time to regain boost and puts unneeded excess pressure on your turbo. That being said it sounds cool, but so does our bpv if you are running an open top intake. Personally I wouldn't do it because of the chance of wearing out your turbo faster
You're kind of right. When the throttle closes without a bypass or BOV, the air has to go somewhere, and the sound is the air reverting backwards through the turbo. This is BAD for longevity. You will break your turbo. It's not a question of if, rather than WHEN. Best case being a ruined bearing cartridge, worst case being snapping fins off the compressor wheel. Modding for noise is ridiculous IMHO. Mod for PERFORMANCE!
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Best case being a ruined bearing cartridge, worst case being snapping fins off the compressor wheel. Modding for noise is ridiculous IMHO. Mod for PERFORMANCE!
Could always snap the main shaft as well, which I've seen happen.

I remember one of the lead/senior Audi racing engineers years back when they started running diesels at Le mans 24 saying that engine exhaust noise may sound great; though noise is energy and its going out the tailpipe instead of to the tires. Ideally the power train would/could scavenge so much energy from the exhaust it'd be nothing but a whisper out the tailpipe.
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Camaro View Post
Hey I was wondering if its a good idea to have a turbo flutter sound on my 2.0L turbo I've heard mixed reviews about it and I was wondering if its even possible to produce such a sound with the current turbo that we have??
Running at higher boost will likely get the desired effect. I don't know what turbo y'all have in the i4, but I used to drive a Nissan s13 with a garret t28 hybrid ball bearing turbo in it and it sounded awesome at 20psi. I was running a blow-off/dump valve, but if I let off the throttle just after the turbo started spooling I'd still get a nice flutter. If I let it spool up enough it would vent through the blow-off valve when I lifted off the throttle instead, which gives that "Psssssssht" noise. As much as I played with it, I never had any issues other than turbo gaskets blowing a couple of times from the higher-than-stock boost and larger turbo.

Blow-off/dump valves are about as controversial as catch-cans - some people will say it's a must have item, others will say don't bother. If a car has one as stock it's generally recirculating rather than atmospheric.

I *doubt* you'll see a negative impact on your turbo by making it flutter. It won't spin in reverse, and it won't stall, but it may be slowed slightly by the reverse pressure on it. Think blowing compressed air into the face of a spinning fan and that's basically all that's happening.

Damage to turbos is mostly going to happen by spinning them up before the car is properly warmed up (the oil needs to be flowing smoothly) or by shutting the car off too soon after having spooled the turbo. The oil stops flowing when you shut the engine off - you don't want the turbo to still be spinning when there is no oil being fed to it. Bad/old oil is also not good, as it's too viscous, so oil changes are more urgent - turbos are not kind to oil.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I dont even think we have a external bov/bypass, i think its built in turbo so pretty hard to do. But would not recommend it, even the description and every comment of the video is against it. Just get a nice air intake and enjoy the bypass woosh
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote