Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Tire Shine Voids Tire Warranty??

Call me stupid, but this is the first time I here of such thing. Purchased tires for one of my other vehicles from Goodyear a few months back. A couple days ago while driving at night I hit a pothole (crater not very wide but deep) going about 10-15mph that literally stopped the car. Sure enough my wheel was bent and the tire developed a large bubble on the side wall. Took the car in to Goodyear for replacement under warranty. When the manager took a look at the tire, the first thing he tells me is “tire shine just voided your warranty.” Then he tells me “but I won’t hold it against you though.” I didn’t inquire any further as they did cover the cost of the tire thank God. I sometimes use just a bit of McGuire’s tire shine when the tires start looking brownish. Has anyone else heard of this?
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
He’s full of it......Got to be just jerking you around

On another note that Browning is an algae, it’s got to come off. Use something like stoners tarminator. Google “tire bloom”
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
The guy is an ass hat and has no idea what he was talking about.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

On another note that Browning is an algae, it’s got to come off. Use something like stoners tarminator. Google “tire bloom”
Thanks for the suggestion Glen. Will do. Yeah I thought he was pulling my chain, except when I asked him if he was kidding he replied with “no I’m serious.” So I guess he was just playing around then. What an idiot or maybe I’m the idiot for believing him!! LOL
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Ask him to point out where in the warranty it states that.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I would think Tire shine helps protect the rubber from dry rot....he is full of shit.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Mule fritters What a load of rubbish!
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

Algae? Can you provide a source for that? Everything I've read indicates that's it's an anti-ozonant that's a baked-in compound that comes to the surface to protect the tire, but makes the tire appear brown. There are some types of tire shine that can interfere with that process and can lead to the rubber breaking down faster, which is why it could be considered a warranty issue. But I doubt it would happen fast enough or severe enough to be related to the OP's tire failure.

In any case, I haven't read anything that indicates that the browning is anything other than a cosmetic issue, and doesn't have to be removed.

A couple of references...

http://myshinycar.com/is-tire-shine-bad-for-tires/

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2013...y-tires-brown/

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
He seriously had to be joking......... Reminds me of the "Blinker fluid" scenario......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
+1 to the "if he was serious, he's a freakin' moron".

Most tire 'protectants' have UV blockers in them that will prolong tire life.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Just some more dealer BS to get you to spend some money or at least think about it. Whats next, The wax i used is so shiny that it blinded me while driving and got in accident. Guess i should have asked the dealer first if waxing my car myself is covered... LMAO!!!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
+1 to the "if he was serious, he's a freakin' moron".

Most tire 'protectants' have UV blockers in them that will prolong tire life.
And some do not. Some contain petroleum distillates, which can break down the rubber. It does happen and he's not a moron. Through a quick search, I found a reference in a Honda warranty for Michelin tires that states "the use of tire dressing containing petroleum distillates are excluded from (tire) warranty coverage."

Nigel
Old 11-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
And some do not. Some contain petroleum distillates, which can break down the rubber. It does happen and he's not a moron. Through a quick search, I found a reference in a Honda warranty for Michelin tires that states "the use of tire dressing containing petroleum distillates are excluded from (tire) warranty coverage."

Nigel
They must void the warranties on many used cars then that still have coverage being a large percent of them have tire dressing on the cars in the used car lots. I am also curious on to how many dealers out there detail the car and apply tire dressing, specially in the showrooms i see it very often. Also i do get what you are saying by the contaminants that may cause break down just don't understand why then the dealer doesn't provide a solution that is GM certified and covered that they produce themselves, or maybe they do and i just haven't looked into it LOL
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
They must void the warranties on many used cars then that still have coverage being a large percent of them have tire dressing on the cars in the used car lots. I am also curious on to how many dealers out there detail the car and apply tire dressing, specially in the showrooms i see it very often. Also i do get what you are saying by the contaminants that may cause break down just don't understand why then the dealer doesn't provide a solution that is GM certified and covered that they produce themselves, or maybe they do and i just haven't looked into it LOL
There are products out there that are safe to use, and presumably that's what the dealer would use, and most diligent car owners would use. But if you show up with a tire that has dried and cracked sidewalls and there's obvious evidence that some sort of dressing has been applied, they're understandably going to put up a fight about covering it under warranty. If they're jerks, they'll use that as an excuse to deny coverage for something completely unrelated.

A GM certified product wouldn't accomplish much. How would they ever know the customer even used it? Best bet is to do your due diligence and understand the type of product you're using and how to apply it properly and it's unlikely you'll ever have any problems.

Nigel