Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The 8l90 is fine once properly tuned. The problem again is the stock tuning...now that most of the TCM tables have finally been unlocked via 3rd party software, the A8 should be trouble free. All gm needs to do is revise the tune. There is too much slip going on causing premature clutch wear and Converter shudder.
That "slip" tuning is there no doubt to disguise the AFM going in and out & I think its one of the reasons it seems the AFM is more seamless on the Gen 6 V8 than it ever was on my L99 with AFM. I'm sure there is more than that too of course. It was just awful no slip or anything but oh so noticeable. The engine would shudder too.

After tuning the car it improved greatly and I like it so much more. I came to a cross roads in that it was either tune the car or get rid of it. So i went tune and it was a good choice. It was a shame to void my warranty on a 2 year old car but I did it without regret. My PT warranty just ended officially a couple of days a go.

I will never get an A8 after reading so much on here.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
YaBoyJordy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
That "slip" tuning is there no doubt to disguise the AFM going in and out & I think its one of the reasons it seems the AFM is more seamless on the Gen 6 V8 than it ever was on my L99 with AFM. I'm sure there is more than that too of course. It was just awful no slip or anything but oh so noticeable. The engine would shudder too.

After tuning the car it improved greatly and I like it so much more. I came to a cross roads in that it was either tune the car or get rid of it. So i went tune and it was a good choice. It was a shame to void my warranty on a 2 year old car but I did it without regret. My PT warranty just ended officially a couple of days a go.

I will never get an A8 after reading so much on here.
I was wondering if it was worth it to tune the car or just get rid of it. If tuning really helps then that is the route I will be going. This car is too much fun to get rid of.
YaBoyJordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #17
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoyJordy View Post
I was wondering if it was worth it to tune the car or just get rid of it. If tuning really helps then that is the route I will be going. This car is too much fun to get rid of.
I feel your pain as I was there once too.... I can't answer that as I dont know how the new SS responds to a tune. The L99 went from being a lazy a$$ to an angry b$tch with just an engine and trans tune and nothing else.

I'm often finding myself pinned to the seatback due to my seatbelt locking on the 1-2 shifts and I love it... But its more fun seeing a passenger trying to get themself loose LOL.

I would do some solid research and get some honest feedback before taking the plunge that's what I did. It helps to keep our expectations realistic too. Your car is a monster with that lovely LT1 under the hood. No doubt its a blast to drive!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron27 View Post
The warranty > the tune. Keep that warranty.
I think this is mainly true but different folks have different priorities. I am not a risk taker by nature and the notion that I would tune my car and void my warranty was never a part of my mindset.

But I was not happy with the car as it was & if I ditched it and took the expected financial loss that would come with that it became a more viable option.

2.5 years later the car still runs great & I am still enjoying it so I made the right decision for me. Anytime I offer my thoughts on tuning the car I always say that the person considering it should be careful and consider the pitfalls if it goes bad. It could wind up on their dime...