Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #15
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Seems like a nice enough guy. I talked with him for awhile. He said he's only had it to the track a couple of times, but said he never really leaned into it, and that his buddy is Mark Stielow (personally I don't know who that is though). He didn't say anything about his buddy driving it to me, he just said he talked him into buying a Z/28.
He definitely didn't want to keep the tires around though; told him if I considered it, I wouldn't want the tires since they would just take up space. He said he has them wrapped, boxed, and foamed, and took them off with just over 100 miles on them...but I don't see those fitting into the car for a drive back to FL even if I did get it.
The chips in the wheels and paint though, along with the rotors, and it looks like perhaps some peeling on the hood vent, have me thinking a number much lower than he is listed for. He did offer to come off some if I was that concerned about the rotors, but I think he and I would be fairly far off still.
I got to thinking though, in regards to the rotors; when they are new, they are dark like that, so I assume mine on my last Z were really just silver from using them for 12.5k miles for street driving. Think its possible? The coloring is fairly similar to new/OEM, so maybe there really isn't anything wrong with those (in which case, if he has the parts that are currently removed, then it may still be worth shooting for):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-15-Che...EAAOSwtnpXm79~
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
Those rotors have deff seen hard track time. Lol.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
He can have his opinion... but to me, 2015 Trofeos don't add any value unless.... and this is still iffy.... they were 100% unmounted.

As for the brakes, my car has 14,000 miles and the rotors look significantly better (I stood at about the same distance and angle to see if maybe it was an angle/light issue). It STILL could be a lighting issue, but I'm less convinced, especially with a COTA day under its belt... that track I'd imagine is hard on brakes of a 4,000# car.

Rarer color, sure.... lower miles? yep.... but you'd be into it $51k-52k to replace the tires, fix the heads and do a good job on paint correction.
Not rarer, the rarest. I agree the tires provide zero value, but how often do you see an original owner SIM Z come available, with documentation?
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #18
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Seems like a nice enough guy. I talked with him for awhile. He said he's only had it to the track a couple of times, but said he never really leaned into it, and that his buddy is Mark Stielow (personally I don't know who that is though). He didn't say anything about his buddy driving it to me, he just said he talked him into buying a Z/28.
He definitely didn't want to keep the tires around though; told him if I considered it, I wouldn't want the tires since they would just take up space. He said he has them wrapped, boxed, and foamed, and took them off with just over 100 miles on them...but I don't see those fitting into the car for a drive back to FL even if I did get it.
The chips in the wheels and paint though, along with the rotors, and it looks like perhaps some peeling on the hood vent, have me thinking a number much lower than he is listed for. He did offer to come off some if I was that concerned about the rotors, but I think he and I would be fairly far off still.
I got to thinking though, in regards to the rotors; when they are new, they are dark like that, so I assume mine on my last Z were really just silver from using them for 12.5k miles for street driving. Think its possible? The coloring is fairly similar to new/OEM, so maybe there really isn't anything wrong with those (in which case, if he has the parts that are currently removed, then it may still be worth shooting for):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-15-Che...EAAOSwtnpXm79~
With how much rotors cost and if your serious, you could always discuss having the rotors weighed to determine the status. I’m sure some have the experience to tell if they are good by color alone. Don’t forget about brake pads, another grand, at best. There are steel rotor options as well.
You’ve had one before and you know what your getting into. If SIM is flavor just talk price vs what it’ll need.
Good luck, brother
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #19
HoodCheck

Ive been talking with him and his daughter for hours now. Theyve done walkarounds for me, sent me video, etc...
I might just be putting a deposit and flying out sunday for her...standby. You guys don't steal her from under me damnit! lol (that has happened with the last 3 Z/28s I was inquiring to buy!)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #20
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
This is Mark stielow, program engineer for the z/28. Invented protouring cars essentially

https://youtu.be/Jx_3BWNOrDE

https://youtu.be/QNj8C458zsc

https://youtu.be/nnAgBQrDDDw

The chips and rotors put that car in low $40s all day. Nothing was mentioned of track time with the car. I brought it up due to the rotor pics. Then it was shared. For sure seen good track time. The chips and look of those rotors scream track use. Not to mention the owner has numerous Lola track cars, it's to be expected. Don't forget the wear and tear you can't see
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #21
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
This is Mark stielow, program engineer for the z/28. Invented protouring cars essentially

https://youtu.be/Jx_3BWNOrDE

https://youtu.be/QNj8C458zsc

https://youtu.be/nnAgBQrDDDw

The chips and rotors put that car in low $40s all day
Let's just say that after lengthy conversation with both he and his daughter, I'm not quite as concerned about that factor If I was I wouldnt be considering it
Old 07-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #22
j o n

Quote:
Let's just say that after lengthy conversation with both he and his daughter, I'm not quite as concerned about that factor If I was I wouldnt be considering it
Cool man. Best wishes. Exciting times ahead! Sim z!
Sold:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #23
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Cool man. Best wishes. Exciting times ahead! Sim z!
Maybe so; I have a line on another in Houston too, but with higher mileage (but impeccably taken care of and not a warehouse sitter).
If I get her, its me and a 20 hr drive back home with her!
Old 07-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #24
j o n

Quote:
Maybe so; I have a line on another in Houston too, but with higher mileage (but impeccably taken care of and not a warehouse sitter).
If I get her, its me and a 20 hr drive back home with her!
Well worth it 👌
Sold:
Old 07-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #25
SIM GhostrdrZ

Go get it and save it!! Another hard 4K miles and it may not be worth saving.

I need a cool Z28 rotisserie like in the video so I can scrub the undercarriage with a toothbrush while standing.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #26
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Go get it and save it!! Another hard 4K miles and it may not be worth saving.

I need a cool Z28 rotisserie like in the video so I can scrub the undercarriage with a toothbrush while standing.
I LIKE those videos

I have made a fairly official offer which has been accepted. We are simply trying to work out whether or not funds will be good to go given the pandemic. In my area of florida, banks are still closed down (with a few locations being appt only), and I cant exactly fly with that much cash without being searched for coke or meth lol....and even then, they'll probably say "no". Oddly, my bank has zero branches in his area; closest is more than a 5 hr drive :/

I'm fighting a pandemic and lack of bank locations here lol.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #27
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
I LIKE those videos

I have made a fairly official offer which has been accepted. We are simply trying to work out whether or not funds will be good to go given the pandemic. In my area of florida, banks are still closed down (with a few locations being appt only), and I cant exactly fly with that much cash without being searched for coke or meth lol....and even then, they'll probably say "no". Oddly, my bank has zero branches in his area; closest is more than a 5 hr drive :/

I'm fighting a pandemic and lack of bank locations here lol.
Drive thru- cashiers check. I’ve had to do it twice during pandemic for similar amounts. If it falls through, you can always return check or cancel it. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #28
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Glad to see you're jumping on the SIM Z. So it has a few items requiring attention. So what. In a couple of years you won't even miss the few thousand you could quibble over. It will be yours and that's that. I paid a bit more for mine, probably could have bargained a bit but as soon as I saw it I was under its spell and it was on the other side of the country. Everytime I enter the garage I laugh and congratulate myself. If a few K is going to ruin somebody they're looking at the wrong type of auto. Good luck with your financial logistics.