Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Cheapest ramps for oil changes to clear splitter?

So I am coming up on my first oil change in a few hundred miles and I was wondering what ramps you guys were using? My Rhino ramps aren't even close to clearing my splitter, and I really don't want to rig anything up. Are Race Ramps my only choice? If so, what ones exactly? Best place to buy them from? I am far from cheap, but damn...$250 for plastic ramps lol?!

Thanks 1LE brothers.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I thought the same too, but I relented and got the 2 piece set of race ramps for my ZL1. I bought mine thru Amazon. There is a 1 piece RR-56 and 2 piece RR-56-2. The 2 piece is more expensive than the 1 piece. I used them last weekend and had no issues getting the ZL1 up to do the oil change.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I actually got my rhino ramps to work, but I cheated by using the slight incline on my driveway and the raised lip of my garage slab. You might could accomplish the same thing by laying a piece of wood in front of the ramp to get those first few inches of clearance.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
I ordered the 72" 2-piece Race Ramps for mine and like you, I wasn't keen on dropping that much cash on a set of ramps. At the end of the day I figured I've never heard of a set of Race Ramps failing (thus not killing my while I'm under the car), they work really well for what they are designed for, will clear the lip on a lowered car, and are light weight.

I figured as soon as I actually use them it will be money well spent.
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Thanks guys, are the one and two piece the same dimension wise, just one comes apart for easier storage?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I'm going to be "that" guy for a second, but it's really not hard to jack the car up. And you'd save all that money
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
^^ Yea, I just jack the car up on one side to get enough clearance.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Thanks guys, are the one and two piece the same dimension wise, just one comes apart for easier storage?
They are the same dimensions. They are two pieces so you can remove the rear section to gain more access from the side of the car.
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
davef

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Garnet Red
Either jack it up or do the 2 pieces of wood trick shown above. $250 is pretty salty.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Just go old school and jack the car up, place it on jack stands and get to work. Seems like the best option here if you want to save cash (assuming you already have a floor jack and jack stands).
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Rhino worked for my ss ok (are your cars lower?). I actually had the rear up on wood too - drove up at same time. Pretty easy... took a couple tries - sort of have to commit when going up! I recommend a spotter If your front ramps are sliding, put a rubber mat or thin carpet remnant under the ramps. I attached a piece of rubber floor treads under my wooden ones so they didnt slip - you can just see the little rubber strips in front of the wood ramps.

BTW, check your rhino ramps for stress cracks occasionally (I'm on my second set). I still use jack stands loosely placed under the frame rails in case they fail. A guy at my work had a lift failure and it messed him up pretty bad getting crushed! I dont take any risks under my car - horrible way to die.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Rhino worked for my ss ok (are your cars lower?). I actually had the rear up on wood too - drove up at same time. Pretty easy... took a couple tries - sort of have to commit when going up! I recommend a spotter If your front ramps are sliding, put a rubber mat or thin carpet remnant under the ramps. I attached a piece of rubber floor treads under my wooden ones so they didnt slip - you can just see the little rubber strips in front of the wood ramps.

BTW, check your rhino ramps for stress cracks occasionally (I'm on my second set). I still use jack stands loosely placed under the frame rails in case they fail. A guy at my work had a lift failure and it messed him up pretty bad getting crushed! I dont take any risks under my car - horrible way to die.
Do you have a front splitter like the 1LE?
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Rockmonstir

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
Just go old school and jack the car up, place it on jack stands and get to work. Seems like the best option here if you want to save cash (assuming you already have a floor jack and jack stands).
^^^This
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Thanks guys for all the input. I would rather go this route than use my jack and stands. Just fast and easy to drive up, and down. No worries about jacking points and such either...