Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Clos.95

Drives: Black 1SS
Need alignment help

Hi guys I’m currently at my local alignment shop and this is my 3rd time coming this week, after their alignment my steering wheel is slightly crooked for me to go straight I have to tilt it to the right slightly
These are the specs of the second alignment I’m not familiar with this kind of stuff and would really appreciate if someone who knows can chime in and let me know how the specs look thanks
Attached Images

Clos.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Indy_62

Drives: 2017 2SS / 2003 S10 Crew Cab
The alignment looks ok except for the front toe setting. The left is -.10 and right is +.15 for a total toe of +.05..that means that when the car is going straight the steering wheel will be off to the right. If both front wheel settings are equal with the steering wheel aligned straight ahead and the total toe is within spec the steering should be close to center when driving. Note: it is not easy to get the steering wheel perfectly straight, there is a tolerance to have it a little off to either side when driving straight. Also the individual and total toe setting could in theory be within spec but the steering wheel still not straight if it is not perfectly aligned when making adjustments.

Indy_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Your front toe is 0.10* toe in on each side for a total of 0.20* toe in. Your Camber in the front is -0.95* on the left and -0.30* on the right. You have a 0.65* cross camber to the right. This will cause the vehicle to pull right. The vehicle will pull towards the most positive camber or most negative caster. Your caster is not adjustable. But the right side is more negative so that's the direction the vehicle will pull.
The rear toe and camber are the same measurement and you don't have any thrust issues so all is good.

As for the steering wheel being offset, how far? Usually there is a spec for the degrees of offset. If it's less than 3* most manufacturers call it good. But to fix it you need to adjust the tie rod ends. If it is offset to the right to need to shorten the left tie rod and lengthen the right tie rod. That's how you fix the offset.

After setting the alignment, the tech should have jounced the suspension and re done a caster sweep and check the settings. This is done to settle the suspension and make sure the settings are correct. BUT, most places wont do that. The get it in the green and send it.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Clos.95

Drives: Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Your front toe is 0.10* toe in on each side for a total of 0.20* toe in. Your Camber in the front is -0.95* on the left and -0.30* on the right. You have a 0.65* cross camber to the right. This will cause the vehicle to pull right. The vehicle will pull towards the most positive camber or most negative caster. Your caster is not adjustable. But the right side is more negative so that's the direction the vehicle will pull.
The rear toe and camber are the same measurement and you don't have any thrust issues so all is good.

As for the steering wheel being offset, how far? Usually there is a spec for the degrees of offset. If it's less than 3* most manufacturers call it good. But to fix it you need to adjust the tie rod ends. If it is offset to the right to need to shorten the left tie rod and lengthen the right tie rod. That's how you fix the offset.

After setting the alignment, the tech should have jounced the suspension and re done a caster sweep and check the settings. This is done to settle the suspension and make sure the settings are correct. BUT, most places wont do that. The get it in the green and send it.
This is my new “straight” position if I want to actually go straight.
They definitely improved it but this is the 3rd day of them adjusting it. When I actually hold the wheel straight it goes left slightly it’s better than before but still pulls slightly left when I hold the wheel straight. I’m becoming frustrated as the shop employees are starting to become rude because I keep going but I refuse to drive with a crooked wheel
Attached Images

Last edited by Clos.95; 10-19-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Clos.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:

"set the toe and let it go" the old Sears motto.

Find another shop that can align your car with the wheel straight.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clos.95 View Post
This is my new “straight” position if I want to actually go straight.
What it comes down to is that they would have to loosen the jam nuts and adjust each side 'one flat' in the proper direction until you get the steering wheel straight. Or go to another shop. It's a pain in the ass, but I make sure to tell the shop that does my alignments I wont accept anything put perfection. If they aren't ready to do exactly what I want, tell me so we don't waste each others time.

one flat refers to the hex on the tie rod that is used to adjust the toe setting.It equals 1/6th of a revolution.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
What it comes down to is that they would have to loosen the jam nuts and adjust each side 'one flat' in the proper direction until you get the steering wheel straight. Or go to another shop. It's a pain in the ass, but I make sure to tell the shop that does my alignments I wont accept anything put perfection. If they aren't ready to do exactly what I want, tell me so we don't waste each others time.

one flat refers to the hex on the tie rod that is used to adjust the toe setting.It equals 1/6th of a revolution.
Exactly. With the tires on our cars they are super sensitive to imperfect alignment. I have even felt a change after moving the tie rod a half a flat (1/12 of a revolution). I'm picky enough to do my own alignments and have devised my own setup/procedure. Yeah, it takes more time than having someone else do it, but I can play anytime I want, and I have a better understanding about it. These cars do very much require perfection in the alignments otherwise they are not going to drive with precision or confidence.