Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
CEL Code p2101: throttle body and Roto-Fab CAI

So here is the story.

I installed the Soler Performance Mod. Throttle Body 95+MM with the Soler Performance Adapter (95mm to 87mm throttle body) and a Roto-Fab cai.

As instructed, I disconnected the battery before starting the installation and when I finished I reconnected it and followed the relearning instructions included with the throttle body:

- Ignition on, idle for 3 mins
- Ignition of for 1 min
- I repeated the steps above one more time
- Ignition on and I drove normally at 44mph or above and I allowed the car to decelerate to a stop and idle (I used the brakes at some point)

I then drove the car normally and 5-6 mins later I got a reduced power warning and a CEL and the engine went into limp mode. I stopped the car at the side of the road, switched it of, waited for a couple of minutes and then started it again. The CEL remained on, but the engine seemed to run normally. While returning home the same thing happened 4-5 times. When I finally arrived, I connected my HP Tuners and I detected a P2101 code (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance).

Does anyone know why I got this problem? Is it a bad throttle body, or is it something else that I can do to make the car run fine again. Can it be an issue of installing the throttle body and the adaptor along with a Roto Fab cai? I was told that I do not need a tune. Your input will be vary much appreciated. FYI, I now disconnected the battery and I am planning to follow the same relearning process as above.

I appreciate the input guys.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
MakCamaro
Makis

Reporting back.

Yesterday, after reconnecting the battery, I did the relearn procedure, exactly like before and according to the included instructions. This time the car seemed to run smoothly and it didn't get into reduced power mode immediately. However, after about 15-20 minutes the engine finally went into limp mode like before and I got an engine light...

Today I removed the new throttle body and the adapter and I put the OEM throttle body back on. I followed the same relearn procedure and then I drove the car. Everything seems to be back to normal: no limp mode and no CEL, after driving the car for a while in an more aggressive way in order to cover a wide range of rpm and speed. So the issue was definitely related to the new TB.

One observation that might be of interest: Yesterday, when I had the Soler TB on, the engine didn't sound as usual, it was running sort of rough and it was definitely louder than usual - but in an "unhealthy" way. It felt strange but I thought is was the TB in combination with the Roto-Fab cai. Also, when I returned home and I opened the hood, what attracted my attention was that the whole engine bay area seemed to be hotter that usual. When I touched the TB it definitely felt hotter.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #3
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
I detected a P2101 code (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance).
I got this code on Feb. 1, and mailed my TB back to NW, who replaced the electronics/motor.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
It seems like some cars are ok with TB/CAI combos and others aren't, at least that's my impression after reading many posts on this. My car for whatever reason does not. I tried multiple TB/CAI combos (Tony Mamo and Soler Performance with the Carbon Elite CAI) and it would run great for a while and then either pop a code or on one occasion go into limp mode. I don't know why some are fine and others are not. I gave up. I went back to a stock TB and Green filter. I know this doesn't help, just worthless two cents on my part.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
So here is the story.

I installed the Soler Performance Mod. Throttle Body 95+MM with the Soler Performance Adapter (95mm to 87mm throttle body) and a Roto-Fab cai.

As instructed, I disconnected the battery before starting the installation and when I finished I reconnected it and followed the relearning instructions included with the throttle body:

- Ignition on, idle for 3 mins
- Ignition of for 1 min
- I repeated the steps above one more time
- Ignition on and I drove normally at 44mph or above and I allowed the car to decelerate to a stop and idle (I used the brakes at some point)

I then drove the car normally and 5-6 mins later I got a reduced power warning and a CEL and the engine went into limp mode. I stopped the car at the side of the road, switched it of, waited for a couple of minutes and then started it again. The CEL remained on, but the engine seemed to run normally. While returning home the same thing happened 4-5 times. When I finally arrived, I connected my HP Tuners and I detected a P2101 code (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance).

Does anyone know why I got this problem? Is it a bad throttle body, or is it something else that I can do to make the car run fine again. Can it be an issue of installing the throttle body and the adaptor along with a Roto Fab cai? I was told that I do not need a tune. Your input will be vary much appreciated. FYI, I now disconnected the battery and I am planning to follow the same relearning process as above.

A new calibration is often necessary for a new/larger tb. I would have it retuned to eliminate that variable.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:

I suggest that you contact Soler. They’re normally pretty responsive to problems and questions.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
It seems like some cars are ok with TB/CAI combos and others aren't, at least that's my impression after reading many posts on this. My car for whatever reason does not. I tried multiple TB/CAI combos (Tony Mamo and Soler Performance with the Carbon Elite CAI) and it would run great for a while and then either pop a code or on one occasion go into limp mode. I don't know why some are fine and others are not. I gave up. I went back to a stock TB and Green filter. I know this doesn't help, just worthless two cents on my part.
The car never ran right even with just the CIA? I'm still completing my break in period but wanted to throw on a rotofab shortly after but not at the expense of operation quality.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
mRahmani

Drives: ‘23 SS 1LE
P2101 sets if there’s a mismatch between the predicted and actual throttle position. Is the Solus just bigger, or does it have a different range of motion as well? I would contact them, you may need a tune for the ECM to correctly read the throttle position. It may also be faulty.
mRahmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
The car never ran right even with just the CIA? I'm still completing my break in period but wanted to throw on a rotofab shortly after but not at the expense of operation quality.
So the car ran fine with the CAI only, no issues at all. But of course I wanted to do more stuff so I got the TB.......that's when things went south. I'm as guilty as anyone of posting the benefits of TBs when I first put it on. I wanted so badly to believe my $ was spent on something worthwhile that I raved about it. Then when I started having issues shortly after installing I took a step back. This is just me, but if I'm honest with myself I didn't hardly notice any difference. How could you notice 15hp on a 650hp car? Anyhow, I'm back to stock TB and a green filter and Throttle controller (now that is truly the best think I ever purchased for the car, hands down) and the car is absolutely flawless/runs perfect.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #10
jaybee924

Drives: R.I.P. 2021 ZL1 & 2019 Rd Garn 2SS
Quote:
Don't feel bad. I tried 3 different brands of Ported TB's and my car liked none with and/or without a Roto Fab Dry CAI. Went back to stocker and no issues. I have a 95mm LT5 unit to install when I get ready to cam, lower pulley, possible E85 and tune.
jaybee924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #11
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
So the car ran fine with the CAI only, no issues at all. But of course I wanted to do more stuff so I got the TB.......that's when things went south. I'm as guilty as anyone of posting the benefits of TBs when I first put it on. I wanted so badly to believe my $ was spent on something worthwhile that I raved about it. Then when I started having issues shortly after installing I took a step back. This is just me, but if I'm honest with myself I didn't hardly notice any difference. How could you notice 15hp on a 650hp car? Anyhow, I'm back to stock TB and a green filter and Throttle controller (now that is truly the best think I ever purchased for the car, hands down) and the car is absolutely flawless/runs perfect.
Thanks for the feedback.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:46 AM   #12
MakCamaro
Makis

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Actually Mike at Soler was extremely supportive and he even asked me to return it in exchange for a newer one since I first reported the issue. But I wanted to try one more time, that's why I repeated the relearning procedure, just in case. At the end I decided to return it and, after reading that this kind of issues are very common, I will only keep the Rot-Fab on with the stock TB. The car runs perfectly fine now - and it sounds great! If I ever decide to tune then I will consider a 95+ ported TB from Soler.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:09 AM   #13
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Actually Mike at Soler was extremely supportive and he even asked me to return it in exchange for a newer one since I first reported the issue. But I wanted to try one more time, that's why I repeated the relearning procedure, just in case. At the end I decided to return it and, after reading that this kind of issues are very common, I will only keep the Rot-Fab on with the stock TB. The car runs perfectly fine now - and it sounds great! If I ever decide to tune then I will consider a 95+ ported TB from Soler.
Seems to always be an issue with these soler units really.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #14
MakCamaro
Makis

It seems that it's not just an issue of the Soler throttle body. The same seems to happen with other throttle bodies as well, such as the ones from Tony Mamo and Katech.

Tags
engine light, p2101, roto fab, soler performance, throttle body