Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-14-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
?How to Make DRs Sticky Again?

Maybe I've missed this in our Forum, but I thought I'd post this anyways. Maybe others were in the same boat as me, and I know I could've found that what follows useful. I have to credit KingLT1 for making me realize I should try to look into this. I didn't know this was a thing until he said something. I didn't know this was a thing.

THE TRUNCATED VERSION:
My DRs (MT ET Street SSs) don't hook on the street anymore. WTH? Are they "balled-up"? If so - perhaps a nice burnout will help. Water, nice concrete, and a big burn-out could help "clean" the tires off. It worked for me, and my tires hook now (maybe not 100%, but it's CONSIDERABLY better). It might be helpful to you.

Context below, if you have the time, or care:

I purchased a typical 17" drag pack about a year ago. I've run DRs in the past, but I was literally at half the power I'm at now. I also used the car ('02 Z28, with some bolt-ons, 3.23s, Yank SS4000 stall, tune, [~320-360 WHP, depending on if I was on LTs or not] a few chassis mods') back then differently than now, so I'm using the DRs differently. I got a pair of MT ET Street SSs (I had their 1st-Gen ET Streets, if I recall, back then) that I intended to run on the street once-and-a-while and for when I go to the strip. I don't do rolls or anything like that, but I'll play a little when the situation/time is right. In the past, I'd really only have the DRs on the car when I was going to the strip, so not much street time like now.

I'd put the SSs on for some street driving last Spring, and by the end of Summer, and about 200-miles of street rips, I was getting REALLY bad swaying and wheel spin - even in 4th-gear, rolling into the throttle after 60-MPH (I datalog speed/drive wheels/non-drive wheels/etc.). I haven't had a car with this much power, and I didn't have a baseline for behavior, so I didn't know if this was normal or not. It seemed like the car was making more power, though, as positive adjustments were made over time, so I wouldn't really know any different. But 'King' posted a reply to a comment I made about my observation, and stated (something to the effect) that I was getting the wheel spin I was because the tire treads were "balling" up (maybe not his exact words, but at least very close). With the around the power I was at, that I shouldn't be spinning like I was. I didn't know any better, but I knew I HATED how the car reacted. It would sway uncontrollably after as little as 80-MPH, and was just SCARY for me to drive. There was still half the tire life yet, and I tried different pressures, but the way the car reacted to throttle didn't really change much - it would literally drive me off the road if I didn't let-out. So I thought I'd eliminate the rear suspension possibility (maybe the rubbery cradle bushings might contribute, or the tie rods squirming), so I upgraded to ZLE cradle bushings and all rod-end BMR rear control arms (and tie rods) with their front cradle chassis braces (I knew they wouldn't help much, but didn't want to think about them being any possibility of a point of question contributing to my issues). These did not help much at all (I still don't regret these mods' yet though - the rod ends are a little noisy [as expected]). I couldn't even be positive belts in the tires started separating or something - were they defective, or did I beat them-up too much?

Eventually - I found what seems to be the answer: a nice burnout to "clean" the tires off. The post actually suggested rolling into the water box, with lots of water, and ripping a really big burn-out. The poster, then, said that he seemed to hook like before.

So - I sprayed my driveway down, found the spots with the smoothest texture, and did a aggressive, but not too long (maybe 5-seconds and past about 60-MPH [the car shifted into 3rd) burnout. The following day, after it got warm enough, I went out and rolled into the throttle several times in 4th (where I'd usually start spinning) and the car just hooked, as it should have been.

In conclusion: spinning these particular tires on the street a lot could likely make it to where they start balling-up. I wasn't getting any better traction than my dang street tires it was so bad. I was suggested to different tires for the street, which I'll probably try (as I figure out exactly what my honest bias is: street use or strip use). I want to run as fast as possible at the strip, but I can't do that on ripped-up DRs, so I'm still evaluating. Anyways - I thought I'd try to help the next guy who might find themselves in this situation.

Cheers.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I'd run them thru some heat cycles doing a few water burn outs. I always do that before I go to the track the first time.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Yep...that is the problem with MT drag radials...the street tears up the tread surface and you start getting tread rolled up(balled up) whatever you want to call it on the surface of the tire. Then they lose a lot of traction capability. They are basically a tire to drive to and from the track. Overall I find the Nitto 555r2 to be a superior tire on the street. Much more stable and consistent traction. But the MT is probably the best tire there is for the a street legal tire at the track. Just do a water burnout to clean the balled up rubber off and get some heat in them...then they will grab.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Yep...that is the problem with MT drag radials...the street tears up the tread surface and you start getting tread rolled up(balled up) whatever you want to call it on the surface of the tire. Then they lose a lot of traction capability. They are basically a tire to drive to and from the track. Overall I find the Nitto 555r2 to be a superior tire on the street. Much more stable and consistent traction. But the MT is probably the best tire there is for the a street legal tire at the track. Just do a water burnout to clean the balled up rubber off and get some heat in them...then they will grab.
Not that I questioned you, but you are completely correct, so far as I can tell.

Now that I think I know what to look for, I think I'll be good to go. Leaving tire marks on the driveway won't make the wifey happy though, lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Lol
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote