Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #15
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Here is an example that might make sense at least I thought it did at the time. 2017 I bought my SS with 900mi CPO for 31k. At the time a used ZL1 was 58-60k with more miles. I have put about 12k into my car since purchase and it makes about 130-140whp more then a stock ZL1. So 42-43k total investment is still 15-18k shy of what a ZL1 cost at the time.

Now you can find used ZL1's for a much lower price. I recently seen a 2017 Hyperblue A10 1 owner 4k miles sell for 49k locally. Had those kind of prices been around 3yrs ago I would of just spent the extra and went to the ZL1. I don't care about warranty. If I break it I can afford to fix it.

That being said, a tune only isn't really worth it on a LT1. You might see 9-10whp gain. If it's a auto then you will pick up a bit from a trans tune but that only applies to 2016-2019 cars because they 2020+ Automatic transmissions can not be tuned.
I was in the same boat with the SS. I looked cost effectiveness & from just an initial cost the SS would have been the less expensive route, engine wise.

I, however, love the looks of the ZL1 as well as the rarity factor. I spent another $30K more to go from a stripper 1SS, much like Chas’, to something IMO much more capable & refined & didn’t have to turn a wrench to get the initial power I wanted & a better trans.

To me the warranty aspect is important. Not that I can’t afford to fix stuff, or the capabilities to do so, I just don’t have the time like I used to working 6 days a week. That’s the main reason I got out of drag racing when I used to go every week.

Beyond the power factor is where additional cost comes in. Body pieces, paint, labor etc added a lot more to get it to look like what I would like it too & it’d still be a 1SS. That doesn’t even touch other amenities the ZL1 offers, which I like.

You’ve done a great job with your build & really enjoy & learn from your knowledge base.

It’s not the same for everyone & that’s why I respect everyone’s individual decisions & likes, just for me I had a different perspective.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #16
19 2SS

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Agree, never understood people that buy a new car and add a SC when you can buy one with a warranty and stronger drivetrain/engine for just a little more.
You also have to realize that not everyone plans to supercharge their car, I got too comfortable with the stock SS power and wanted more, when I bought the SS I would not have expected that I was going to supercharge it
19 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Agree, never understood people that buy a new car and add a SC when you can buy one with a warranty and stronger drivetrain/engine for just a little more.
That "just a little more", as King explained, was $15-20k back in the day.

Then, hindsight is always 20/20, how can one expect to know in advance what their experience with their car would be and what they would feel the perfect balance of drivability, power, handling, amenities etc. would be when making a decision.

Finally, there is the journey of always adding a new component or modding and experiencing some newfound power again and again, without trading in a car that one actually loves.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #18
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Don't know if i ever will go with F/I. A 50hp gain would be plenty for what little driving i do and never really get on the highway.
CHASLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #19
CHASLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I was in the same boat with the SS. I looked cost effectiveness & from just an initial cost the SS would have been the less expensive route, engine wise.

I, however, love the looks of the ZL1 as well as the rarity factor. I spent another $30K more to go from a stripper 1SS, much like Chas’, to something IMO much more capable & refined & didn’t have to turn a wrench to get the initial power I wanted & a better trans.

To me the warranty aspect is important. Not that I can’t afford to fix stuff, or the capabilities to do so, I just don’t have the time like I used to working 6 days a week. That’s the main reason I got out of drag racing when I used to go every week.

Beyond the power factor is where additional cost comes in. Body pieces, paint, labor etc added a lot more to get it to look like what I would like it too & it’d still be a 1SS. That doesn’t even touch other amenities the ZL1 offers, which I like.

You’ve done a great job with your build & really enjoy & learn from your knowledge base.

It’s not the same for everyone & that’s why I respect everyone’s individual decisions & likes, just for me I had a different perspective.
You did the smart thing from the start.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #20
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I guess the older I get, the more I like as it came from the factory. After dealing with cams and all those things that come from it, the maintenance, balancing performance with drivability, and of course reliability concerns, a fun from the factory drive is nice.

I have a real admiration for what the engineers have accomplished. If you were to go back in time to 1969, and tell those engineers that by 2020 the Camaro would produce 650hp that you could drive everywhere, everyday, and get over 15 mpg, they would laugh and lock you up for being crazy.

Even the SS is more than 90% of their owners can handle, the ZL1 is more like 98%. That said, I can fully relate to the "Built and not Bought" philosophy.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #21
CHASLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I guess the older I get, the more I like as it came from the factory. After dealing with cams and all those things that come from it, the maintenance, balancing performance with drivability, and of course reliability concerns, a fun from the factory drive is nice.

I have a real admiration for what the engineers have accomplished. If you were to go back in time to 1969, and tell those engineers that by 2020 the Camaro would produce 650hp that you could drive everywhere, everyday, and get over 15 mpg, they would laugh and lock you up for being crazy.

Even the SS is more than 90% of their owners can handle, the ZL1 is more like 98%. That said, I can fully relate to the "Built and not Bought" philosophy.
I have never been close to 650hp so i just can't see having that much power when i drive 50 miles a week in speed zones 45mph and under.

My modded 2013 C6 with headers and tune was plenty. I am sure 650hp would get me in trouble fast as the power is like a drug and i would be doing 120mph+ in a flash.

My Vette club stopped doing the breakfast cruise when this CV19 BS started. We would have 30 to 50 Vettes driving out in the country doing 120mph+ and then go somewhere to eat after the cruise.

My new 2021 LT1 drives very well so far and i have yet to really get on it until i break it in. Gone is the big time lag of my lemon lawed 2019 C7. It is just nite and day over the C7 stock tune for stock tune and the NPP is much better than the NPP that was on my C7.

Doing the test drive and i was thinking boy what a huge step up all the way around and you guys know the C7 should have killed it in everyway. I guess i had a dud.

I can live with the stock NPP but would like a tiny bit more loud out of it.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #23
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
I have never been close to 650hp so i just can't see having that much power when i drive 50 miles a week in speed zones 45mph and under.

My modded 2013 C6 with headers and tune was plenty. I am sure 650hp would get me in trouble fast as the power is like a drug and i would be doing 120mph+ in a flash.

My Vette club stopped doing the breakfast cruise when this CV19 BS started. We would have 30 to 50 Vettes driving out in the country doing 120mph+ and then go somewhere to eat after the cruise.

My new 2021 LT1 drives very well so far and i have yet to really get on it until i break it in. Gone is the big time lag of my lemon lawed 2019 C7. It is just nite and day over the C7 stock tune for stock tune and the NPP is much better than the NPP that was on my C7.

Doing the test drive and i was thinking boy what a huge step up all the way around and you guys know the C7 should have killed it in everyway. I guess i had a dud.

I can live with the stock NPP but would like a tiny bit more loud out of it.
You are relatively close to Brandenton raceway. Get out & drive it to break her in then hit the strip on one of their Friday night runs.

If I lived that close to a track that did night runs I’d still be drag racing.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote