Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
TKoby

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
2019 Camaro i4 Tuning Questions

I have Injen Evolution cold air intake without box and ZZP catted downpipe.
I am looking for the best way to get my car tuned. I was thinking about buying the hp tuners MPVI2 and getting the ZZP tune.

Is there a better website for tuning?
Will my ECM need to be unlocked for the MPVI2?

Thank you.
TKoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Try and get a hold of cooper if you wanna get your car tuned. He's one of the most knowledgeable tuners on these forums. Jerry from BNR is another good option but he uses efi live.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKoby View Post
I have Injen Evolution cold air intake without box and ZZP catted downpipe.
I am looking for the best way to get my car tuned. I was thinking about buying the hp tuners MPVI2 and getting the ZZP tune.

Is there a better website for tuning?
Will my ECM need to be unlocked for the MPVI2?

Thank you.
If you purchase the email PCM tune through us you will have to purchase the credits to unlock your PCM. What year is your Camaro? If you've got an auto I would 100% recommend getting the TCM unlocked as well.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
TKoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler View Post
If you purchase the email PCM tune through us you will have to purchase the credits to unlock your PCM. What year is your Camaro? If you've got an auto I would 100% recommend getting the TCM unlocked as well.
My plan was ordering the unit which would give me 8 credits. Then just purchase the email PCM tune. I have a 2019 i4 auto.

How would I go about getting my TCM unlocked?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
this is the catch 22. most people usually come here to find out how to fix a DCE code after adding a CAI with throws the P102. Its all well documented here. It seems like you might have gone through enough posts to figure that all out.

I recommend the ZZP tune and that's how I went. Matt is very responsive and after spending a few months on it myself, now fine tuning, clearly he has thought everything out very well.

However - with remote tuning, you are assuming some responsibility to do the things that are unique to your car. Like MAF tuning. There are bits and pieces out there how to do your own street tuning do dial in your air with CAI and DP, but unless someone like me does a play by play and posts it, then your advised to see a dyno guy have have him dial it in for you.

Here is my post on getting started.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564007

PS- no you don't need to unlock the Engine ECM, just need to buy 4 credits, but if your a A8 and want to go further you'll 'want' to unlock the TCM from what I understand.

PSS The GenV Level 3 book has a complete guide on A-Z the steps to do your own MAF Tuning.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
TKoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
this is the catch 22. most people usually come here to find out how to fix a DCE code after adding a CAI with throws the P102. Its all well documented here. It seems like you might have gone through enough posts to figure that all out.

I recommend the ZZP tune and that's how I went. Matt is very responsive and after spending a few months on it myself, now fine tuning, clearly he has thought everything out very well.

However - with remote tuning, you are assuming some responsibility to do the things that are unique to your car. Like MAF tuning. There are bits and pieces out there how to do your own street tuning do dial in your air with CAI and DP, but unless someone like me does a play by play and posts it, then your advised to see a dyno guy have have him dial it in for you.

PS- no you don't need to unlock the Engine ECM, just need to buy 4 credits, but if your a A8 and want to go further you'll 'want' to unlock the TCM from what I understand.

PSS The GenV Level 3 book has a complete guide on A-Z the steps to do your own MAF Tuning.
Doesn't the purchase of the MPVI2 unit come with 8 credits?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
TKoby

Quote:

I am just trying to get the most bang for my buck. Plus my car is still new and still technically under warranty. 5k miles. I know I should not even be considering this until after warranty where I should have 30k miles.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #8
wookwook

I just wanted to iterate, please reach out to the tuners, as the others said and see what fits the bill for you. They are all seem like top notch shops. I am working with Cooper on a off-line project myself.

"Doesn't the purchase of the hptunes unit come with 8 credits?"

You do have some homework to do, spend some time on the websites and in here the answers will come.

probably just start with the MPIV2 to start learning to log by pouring into youtubes.
you'll answer a lot of questions on your own and have a good footing to get started.

W.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
TKoby

Quote:
I just wanted to iterate, please reach out to the tuners, as the others said and see what fits the bill for you. They are all seem like top notch shops. I am working with Cooper on a off-line project myself.

"Doesn't the purchase of the hptunes unit come with 8 credits?"

You do have some homework to do, spend some time on the websites and in here the answers will come.

probably just start with the MPIV2 to start learning to log by pouring into youtubes.
you'll answer a lot of questions on your own and have a good footing to get started.

W.
Yea, I messaged him. Thank you.
I'm just trying to get all costs up front. I hate making the mistake of getting something and not having a required item that was in fine print.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
wookwook

It will take a while, but we've been there too. I am just suggesting learn how to work the VCM suite logging. It will save you and your tuner lots of headaches by learning the basics up front/ he's gonna depend on you to make the right moves. Yes you can buy the needed 8 credits later. pull up some HP Academy and HP Tuners freebies on Youtube to get the idea. HP Academy will can give you a good look at road tuning. THis car has its own O2 Sensor built in, so that whole issue you can ignore, and go straight to work.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
TKoby

Quote:
It will take a while, but we've been there too. I am just suggesting learn how to work the VCM suite logging. It will save you and your tuner lots of headaches by learning the basics up front/ he's gonna depend on you to make the right moves. Yes you can buy the needed 8 credits later. pull up some HP Academy and HP Tuners freebies on Youtube to get the idea. HP Academy will can give you a good look at road tuning. THis car has its own O2 Sensor built in, so that whole issue you can ignore, and go straight to work.
With my modifications how much additional HP could I be expecting with the tune? ZZP says 60. Is that accurate or an under/over estimate?
Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
You don't need all that mpiv2 stuff. Save yourself a ton of money and headache on that crap. Contact Trifecta and have them do it all for you, engine & trans tune, done, end of story, enjoy your car. It doesn't need to be all complicated.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKoby View Post
With my modifications how much additional HP could I be expecting with the tune? ZZP says 60. Is that accurate or an under/over estimate?
Every car is different a solid local dyno tune is best period you can use ZZP they tune conservatively but safely. If you decide to go with Trifecta go with them through Phastek Performance 100% back in the 5th Gen days they left the community hanging having Phastek as your go between will prevent that type of shady crap.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
wookwook

if you want something done right do it yourself period.
different strokes for different folks I always say.

Like I said, it will take a while to figure it out. There is no wrong way. Yes it can become a personal investment of time and effort. Just depends on your goals.

Most don't start on in with goals cause they don't know what can be done and that is forgivable. Sounds like OP is on the right track though.

Will be nice to see where it goes.

W.

Tags
hptuners, tune