Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hey RamAir, if you want a M6 then by all means buy one. I know the bog issue everyone is referring to as being a pain sometimes but you can get used to it. It kicks in when backing out of my driveway but I have adjusted to the releasing of the clutch. Didn’t have this issue with my ‘16 SS or any other Camaro I have owned but my ‘17 is a different animal and it has its quirks and characteristics that make it what it is, a factory hotrod! It kills me how some folks expect these cars to run like regular cars do but everyone is different! I say buy what you want and enjoy the hell out of it!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
sv340

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I actually think that is a fair price given the current rebates on '19's. There is only 500 off currently and as mentioned, the odd rebates that don't apply to everyone or should I say hardly anyone. I ordered a ZLE and the MSRP is 76,900. The Invoice is 73,500. So whatever rebates I can get will come off of that. However, your not going to save thousands on a '19 once your already down to Invoice. The days of 12-17% off are over. These dealers showing a ZLE for low to mid $60;s are click baiting by stacking rebates you will never get, hoping to bring you in and sell you the car for more than you thought you were going to pay. Obviously this bullshit tactic must work with some buyers.
sv340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Hey RamAir, if you want a M6 then by all means buy one. I know the bog issue everyone is referring to as being a pain sometimes but you can get used to it. It kicks in when backing out of my driveway but I have adjusted to the releasing of the clutch. Didn’t have this issue with my ‘16 SS or any other Camaro I have owned but my ‘17 is a different animal and it has its quirks and characteristics that make it what it is, a factory hotrod! It kills me how some folks expect these cars to run like regular cars do but everyone is different! I say buy what you want and enjoy the hell out of it!
Didn't want to scare him but just to give him a heads up...
I'll clarify a bit more, day to day NORMAL driving the clutch is quirky but you will get used to it and work around it for sure and you will be just fine.

If you happen to find yourself in Mexico at a stop light. Don't launch hard, you will embrace yourself, it NOT happening.

Heres a little video I made.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah Bobby that is the way it is for sure! BTW nice little video clip!
Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #19
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I'll clarify a bit more, day to day NORMAL driving the clutch is quirky but you will get used to it and work around it for sure and you will be just fine.

If you happen to find yourself in Mexico at a stop light. Don't launch hard, you will embrace yourself, it NOT happening.

WOW! Glad I bought a A10.
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #20
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post

Wow really appreciate all the thread links and the video. I definitely understand the bog now (and potentially why GM put these guardrails in place). Super helpful info; I had no idea.

Not sure it's enough to turn me off of the ZL1 1LE, but the heads up is very much appreciated. I'll probably live with it does a while, get some miles on her and then think about tuning or other solutions. I've really never been able to keep my cars stock (warranty or not)... I have a problem. So maybe down the line the tuners will figure out the nanny stuff and perhaps an aftermarket clutch will help.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #21
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv340 View Post
I actually think that is a fair price given the current rebates on '19's. There is only 500 off currently and as mentioned, the odd rebates that don't apply to everyone or should I say hardly anyone. I ordered a ZLE and the MSRP is 76,900. The Invoice is 73,500. So whatever rebates I can get will come off of that. However, your not going to save thousands on a '19 once your already down to Invoice. The days of 12-17% off are over. These dealers showing a ZLE for low to mid $60;s are click baiting by stacking rebates you will never get, hoping to bring you in and sell you the car for more than you thought you were going to pay. Obviously this bullshit tactic must work with some buyers.
This makes me feel a bit better. Since I walked yesterday, the sales manager from the dealer called me today and said he'd do $68k flat. I told him I still need to mull it over, so maybe on Monday he'll come down some more 😉

Yeah, the clickbait stuff bothers me a lot. I'll find what appear to be great deals on eBay or autotrader, I'll Google the VIN, find the dealer website and realize they've calculated their price with every incentive and the actual asking price is several grand more. Regardless of price / deal, I just don't want to work with a dealer that practices those tactics.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #22
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
Give Criswell Chevrolet of Thurmont a try. I picked up my '18 from them without any hassle or games like some of these other dealers. None of their ZL1s get test driven BTW. That was a big plus for my OCD ass.
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #23
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Gonna chime in on the header question...

The OEM tri-Y exhaust manifolds on these motors are actually very efficient and unless you plan on really increasing the amount of flow through the engine they are more than sufficient. To a lot of people this is heresy, and it’s likely their experiences with older LS or other setups where they were able to achieve decent gains with just improving the exhaust end of whatever they were running.

In the past couple of years I have read more than one article demonstrating that the gains from adding headers to an otherwise OEM motor in this day and age is somewhere in the neighborhood of ~10-20 horsepower. When you consider the cost of long tube headers, to me, it’s just not worth the expense. Having said that, I did go with a secondary cat delete with an X-pipe setup but, I did that because I wanted a deeper exhaust note. What I also got was more rasp and some drone than I didn’t want and ended up putting a resonator back into the equation- kind of an expensive way to get a deeper note BUT, I got what I wanted. But I digress.

Personally, IF I decide to open the motor up (port blower, heads, O/D pulley, larger bore TB) then it would be shortsighted not to increase the exhaust end of the motor as well. All of these mods work in concert with other mods. While we are able to gain a few ponies here or there with simple bolt-ons, you really don’t need to spend the coin for headers, UNLESS, you want to and then go for it. For the record, I’m not knocking the guys that swear by headers, I’m just not one of them anymore.

My .02

Last edited by kwav8r; 04-21-2019 at 09:52 AM.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #24
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900RFWN View Post
Give Criswell Chevrolet of Thurmont a try. I picked up my '18 from them without any hassle or games like some of these other dealers. None of their ZL1s get test driven BTW. That was a big plus for my OCD ass.
Great. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the referral.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #25
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Gonna chime in on the header question...

The OEM tri-Y exhaust manifolds on these motors are actually very efficient and unless you plan on really increasing the amount of flow through the engine they are more than sufficient. To a lot of people this is heresy, and it’s likely their experiences with older LS or other setups where they were able to achieve decent gains with just improving the exhaust end of whatever they were running.

In the past couple of years I have read more than one article demonstrating that the gains to an otherwise OEM motor in this day and age is somewhere in the neighborhood of ~10-20 horsepower. When you consider the cost of long tube headers, to me, it’s just not worth the expense. Having said that, I did go with a secondary cat delete with an X-pipe setup but, I did that because I wanted a deeper exhaust note. What I also got was more rasp and some drone than I didn’t want and ended up putting a resonator back into the equation- kind of an expensive way to get a deeper note BUT, I got what I wanted. But I digress.

Personally, IF I decide to open the motor up (port blower, heads, O/D pulley, larger bore TB) then it would be shortsighted not to increase the exhaust end of the motor as well. All of these mods work in concert with other mods. While we are able to gain a few ponies here or there with simple bolt-ons, you really don’t need to spend the coin for headers, UNLESS, you want to and then go for it. For the record, I’m not knocking the guys that swear by headers, I’m just not one of them anymore.

My .02
Excellent explanation. Thanks for the detailed information about headers on the ZL1. Makes perfect sense and I'll likely hold off on them until after some other performance mods which will increase the gains seen from opening up the exhaust.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #26
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Any reason the 1LE. I live in NJ and it will be a rougher ride if you are just street driving. Tr
F419sr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900RFWN View Post
Ditto for Criswell in Gaithersburg. No BS dealer and I've driven 1100 miles each way 2x in a year to trade with them.
What brought me there originally was their great deals on C7s.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #28
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
Any reason the 1LE. I live in NJ and it will be a rougher ride if you are just street driving. Tr
Partly cuz it's more badass But really I plan to autox the car and I'd like to get into road track as well eventually.

YouTube