Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Headunit rebuild?

Hey guys

I need to have the head unit rebuilt as the bearings were run dry on the way home from work one day last season. Looking around, it seems Vortec is the only "authorized" rebuilder and have read they frequently just go with the standard "you need a new head unit". I'd rather not wait that long for nothing.

So the 2 questions I have are; 1). is there a reputable source to rebuild the unit and 2). is the task really that daunting in the first place. I've looked at a couple of write-ups and I'd need to pick up a press and I'm not sure how my 18v cordless impact will fair for tear-down. Thoughts anyone?

Then after all that, I'm considering just flipping the SC anyway since I had an issue on a roadtrip 900 miles out and developed a misfire that I couldn't get anyone to look at after doing the basics myself. I figure if this is going to get handed down to the wife and she runs into an issue when I'm away, it could be a bit of a problem if a repair shop or the dealer doesn't want to touch it. Still debating that one.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
928 Motorsports...maybe...carl faussett
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I had mine rebuilt after the bearings went out a month before the warranty expired (FWIW, I had the supercharger for 11 months at the time). I will say it took less time then I thought it would but cant specifically remember how long. I believe like two weeks with shipping time. However, I also had a daily driver.

As far as the head unit. I had mine rebuilt and it would've cost $400. New bearings and all. Hope this is insightful.