The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
New C7 ZR1 engine spotted?

From Corvette Online:

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/b...ged-powerplant

Name:  blown-lt1-2.jpg
Views: 12840
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  blown-lt1-1.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  Corvette-C7-CAD-Engine-2.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  72.1 KB

"While there has been speculation about a C7 Corvette successor to the outgoing Z06 using a small-displacement twin turbo V8, as seen in the Cadillac Elmiraj concept, we haven’t heard much about what will power the Corvette that will eventually replace the 638 horsepower C6 ZR1 lately.

And then, one of our Power Automedia fans slipped the photos you see here over the transom (if you’re under 40, there’s pretty much no chance you’ll understand that reference, but we’re keeping it) and we’re ready to fire up the rumormill once again.

The engine in the photos is definitely an LT1-style, Gen V Chevy small block, as evidenced by the injector cover shape and the fact that the throttle body is consistent with the ones used on the C7′s LT1.

And it’s clearly a twin-rotor supercharged engine with the LSA/LS9 style pulley mounted high on the front, and intercooler plumbing also bearing a resemblance to previous heat exchanger setups. Our contact says this came from a “friend of a friend” inside GM’s prototype center, and that it’s a 6.2 liter engine. Don’t get too hung up on the fact it has a conventional engine-mounted transmission instead of a torque tube and transaxle – for testing purposes it’s a lot simpler to use a conventional transmission.

Could it be a clever fake? Possibly, but take a close look at the shape of the back of the top cover, and compare it to the CAD rendering leaked what seems a lifetime ago:..."

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Possible ZR1 engine spotted??

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...KyCch6pq5w&s=1

Can't wait until they release more info if this is real...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Oooohh!
And the starting price point easily climbs way north of 100K for this C7 ZR1 beast!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
This is the next Z06/Z07 motor!!! I met a guy a few weeks back that lives in Detroit who has a friend that is working on the C7-Z and he told me it was going to be supercharged I didn't believe him till now!!! After seeing this photo all the things he told me are starting to come together this will be one hell of a car!!!
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Corvette7Tuning

Drives: 2014 corvette stingray
mmm this will be good!

GTR killer in the making? I HOPE SO!

www.Corvette7Tuning.com
Corvette7Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Mike@HennesseyPerformance

Drives: 70 Camaro
The transmission bolted to the rear of that is a dead giveaway that this particular engine is not the C7 ZR1 engine you are looking for....

CAD drawing looks exciting though.

I think someone got you guys pretty good with the Vette engine cover and transmission bolted to the back of it, that's well played!
Mike@HennesseyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Interesting. I figured we would see a Z06 replacement motor now instead of a ZR1 replacement.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Yeah so did I.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
This very well could be for the z06. They could be moving away from ls7/ls9 options to something more akin to lsa/ls9. A very moderately boosted 6.2 with a proper cooling setup could make a great replacement for the ls7. It would also make co-development of z06 and zr1 easier.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
This very well could be for the z06. They could be moving away from ls7/ls9 options to something more akin to lsa/ls9. A very moderately boosted 6.2 with a proper cooling setup could make a great replacement for the ls7. It would also make co-development of z06 and zr1 easier.
Adds too much weight in a bad spot (up front & up high), not really what you want for a track focused car.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I agree with DGthe3. Weight in all the wrong places, complexity and heat soak. The Z06/Z07 needs to stay N/A.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Meh. The weight isn't all that significant if the IC heat exchanger and reservoir are mounted low. The supercharger and manifold assembly on the LS9 only weighs 5X pounds. The only things I feel are better with the ls7 are throttle response and the redline. The LS9 seems kind of choked around redline for some reason and the throttle response just seems kind of off, but I have only driven the '10 model, they may have fixed that. The low end on that thing is freaking awesome though.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
Meh. The weight isn't all that significant if the IC heat exchanger and reservoir are mounted low. The supercharger and manifold assembly on the LS9 only weighs 5X pounds. The only things I feel are better with the ls7 are throttle response and the redline. The LS9 seems kind of choked around redline for some reason and the throttle response just seems kind of off, but I have only driven the '10 model, they may have fixed that. The low end on that thing is freaking awesome though.
The LS9 and LSA are close to 100 lbs heavier than the LS3, I don't think it would be too different for their gen V equivalents. As for weight location, I was thinking more in terms of the supercharger & intercooler brick that have to sit on top of the engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems to me GM would be releasing Z06/7 before ZR1, unless they're changing the way they scale their perforance (i.e. instead of ZR1 being the KOTH, maybe they'll switch to Z06/7). I don't think that's likely.

I think this is either ZR1's heart, or maybe for another car altogether. I don't think they'll SC or even turbo' Z06/7. It does say Corvette though.

Maybe - ZL1's updated motor... or even a Gen VI ZL1...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote