Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Tire Questions - Michelon Pilot Super Sport

I have a set of Forgestars on order from Tony:
20x9.5 deep concave front
20x10.5 deep concave rear

I want to run Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around and have a few questions on sizing. Now I know that Taylor is running 295/35s in the rear and 275/35s up front. Personally, I would like to go a bit wider. My question is...will it fit?

Here is what I am considering:
315/35 rear -- 28.7" overall diameter
285/35 front -- 27.9" overall diameter

I know that these Michelins run wide, so my question is will I run into issues with rubbing in the front or rear? Keep in mind I am on BC Racing coilovers.

If this setup will not work, I would also consider:
275/35 front -- 27.6" overall diameter

But I prefer the first option, as they are significantly closer in diameter.

I am open to other recommendations as well. Thanks in advance!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
For as wide as you're trying to go maybe you should look at another brand of tire because those Michelin's do run wide. Of course you already know this.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
I have a set of Forgestars on order from Tony:
20x9.5 deep concave front
20x10.5 deep concave rear

I want to run Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around and have a few questions on sizing. Now I know that Taylor is running 295/35s in the rear and 275/35s up front. Personally, I would like to go a bit wider. My question is...will it fit?

Here is what I am considering:
285/35 front -- 27.9" overall diameter

I know that these Michelins run wide, so my question is will I run into issues with rubbing in the front or rear? Keep in mind I am on BC Racing coilovers.

If this setup will not work, I would also consider:
275/35 front -- 27.6" overall diameter

But I prefer the first option, as they are significantly closer in diameter.

I am open to other recommendations as well. Thanks in advance!
Tony knows his offsets so you should have no problems running any of those tires. Hell, the BC coil overs give you MORE clearance up front, 10mm I think, so you could probably even run a 295. I was planning on running 295 all the way around on 10" wide Forgestars, but found a killer deal on some 285s.

BUT if you are after the best handling, a slight stretch will always handle better, so on the 9.5" the 275 will handle best.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Tony knows his offsets so you should have no problems running any of those tires. Hell, the BC coil overs give you MORE clearance up front, 10mm I think, so you could probably even run a 295. I was planning on running 295 all the way around on 10" wide Forgestars, but found a killer deal on some 285s.

BUT if you are after the best handling, a slight stretch will always handle better, so on the 9.5" the 275 will handle best.
Thanks for jumping in here. I'm going to go ahead and order the 315/35 & 285/35 setup and hope for the best! I will post pics when I get everything mounted up, but that won't be for a month or so. Forgestar is currently still out of deep cores.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Thanks for jumping in here. I'm going to go ahead and order the 315/35 & 285/35 setup and hope for the best! I will post pics when I get everything mounted up, but that won't be for a month or so. Forgestar is currently still out of deep cores.
It's going to be a lot more than a month if they don't even have any cores on stock. It's about a month and a half to two months if they do have the cores in stock.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
It's going to be a lot more than a month if they don't even have any cores on stock. It's about a month and a half to two months if they do have the cores in stock.
Yeah, whenever they show up is cool with me. I've got some meat left on my Pirellis and knew the wait would be decently long when I ordered. The sooner the better, though.

YouTube
Old 05-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
As I told you over pm. The 275/295 combo is the best setup we have found. Handles great/ good ride comfort/ and plenty of meat. 315 in a michelin is like a 325 in almost every other tire.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside Customs View Post
As I told you over pm. The 275/295 combo is the best setup we have found. Handles great/ good ride comfort/ and plenty of meat. 315 in a michelin is like a 325 in almost every other tire.
Yes I do understand this and your input is much appreciated. I am very intrigued by this setup, but prefer to have a wider tire out back for the street. I have a set of 18" wheels for the dragstrip and do not plan on making it to a race track anytime soon. This setup will be primarily (probably only) street driven.

YouTube
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes I do understand this and your input is much appreciated. I am very intrigued by this setup, but prefer to have a wider tire out back for the street. I have a set of 18" wheels for the dragstrip and do not plan on making it to a race track anytime soon. This setup will be primarily (probably only) street driven.
Which is exactly why you should run the smaller setup. The wider setup makes the car feel heavy and and steering is vague. Not to mention too wide for those wheel sizes. The smaller setup makes the car feel much more nimble and light.

My question is simply why do you feel you need the wider setup?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

There are plenty of people on this forum running a 315 on a 10.5" wheel and 275 on a 9.5" wheel. Straight from Michelin, here are the specs on the tires I am interested in:

315/35ZR20/XL - Rim Width Range: 10.5" - 12.5"
285/35ZR20/XL - Rim Width Range: 9.5" - 11"

I believe this is perfectly suitable for the wheels, but made this thread wondering if I would have issues with these tire sizes on the car, knowing that the Michelins run wider than your average tire.

As to why I feel I need a wider setup, I prefer to run the widest tire I can out back. I like a large contact patch and believe this setup will give the car a great stance. I also do not think it will hinder street performance much if at all.

YouTube
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

People do a lot of things that are incorrect. The tire specs you posted are minimum and maximum recommended specs. The optimized wheel for those tires would be 11.5 rear and 10.5 front. That's over an inch wider than what you have. Will it fit? Sure. Is it optimized or even correct? Nope. Better handling is achieved when the tire is stretched SLIGHTLY. As far as contact patch is concerned, putting a wider tire on a smaller rim does NOTHING for contact patch. Plenty of people put 315's on stock 9" wheels. Contact patch remains at 9". As you accelerate and the wheel plants the tire sidewall that is outside the rim width bulges and stops making contact with the pavement. Now if you like the look then that's fine, but it doesn't help your performance at all.

When we chose these widths we contacted Michelin directly. You can obviously take all this info and throw it out the window and get what you want but the 295/275 combo is truly the best setup for the widths you have. We run these on 20x10 front and 20x11 rear for a slight stretch to help handle better. At the end of the day do what you want.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
My setup handled great at the autocross event yesterday! I wanted to do 315 rears at first but I listened to Whiteside and went with the 295s. They are plenty wide in the back.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
There's more to tire traction than how wide it is.. Just because you have one car with a wider tire and one with a smaller tire doesn't mean the wider tired car has more traction. It simply means it has a wider tire. I believe there are more than a handful of people that have proven this concept with Drag tires that people didn't think were wide enough. You're simply going to get look and if you squeeze too wide a tire on too little wheel, you'll have performance issues all over the place. You want an optimum balance between wheel and tire to make sure it's suited for what you're going to do -- which is pretty much exactly the amount and type of tire you need for the application.. Anything more and you're just wasting money and creating more rolling resistance to overcome.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Does the Pilot Super Sport come in a 305 width in 20"? How does the section width and tread width on a 305 Michelin compare with the DWS 315?

I currently have Continental DWS's in 275 and 315 on my 9.5" and 11.0" Forgelines. They don't have the grip of the Zeros, but are lasting much longer, but I'd like to get more grip on my next tire change.

I don't get much opportunity to autocross or drag race, so I'm more interested in looking good. But I like to have my cake and eat it too, so if I can get performance and looks I'll take it. "Size Matters" is not just about Johnsons.

My choices with the Michelins would be 285 up front and either 305 or 315 in back. Is that possible with my wheels?