Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Tim Trempz

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro SS1LE
Front Main Seal Blown Out

Hello all, I'm coming to you today in need of an explanation or if anyone else has had this issue and what would cause it. This happened back in November was at PBIR tracking my 2019 SS1LE with 17.5k miles and on my 4th and final 20 minute session while coming down the straight away I look in my rearview mirror to see a trail of thick white smoke coming form behind my car. Was in 4th gear at 130mph, looked at the oil gauge and PSI was normal and no check engine light so I slow down and pull off the track and as you will see in the photos that's what I saw. At the time I didn't know what really happened and thought that my oil cooler might of gotten damaged. Fast forward to taking it to the dealership and was told my front crankshaft seal blew out and caused 3 quarts or so of oil to spew out all over the engine bay and onto the headers causing the smoke. Seal was replaced under warranty though the dealer wasn't happy with the mods which ill list down below. Anyways the techs really didn't have a clear answer as to why this would happen, from what i have seen on this forum it is known that these seals are weak and the only post I have found with this issue are cars who are boosted and replace the seals with LS3 ones, so I'm kind of in a state of well what the hell then because I want to track this car but this issue is keeping me from having that peace of mind of not blowing my motor up or having the oil go underneath my tires at well 130mph. So a few suspects that could of cause the issue, 1. Weak seal from factory and the constant tracking of the car finally made it give way, 2. One of the mods that is installed ie. catch can or LT2 manifold cause clearly it was to much back pressure that sent that seal out, 3. Tune related? Anyways I'm hoping to hear some feedback about this and appreciate it in advance. Thank you for coming to my TED TALK

MODS:
Speed Engineering 1 7/8ths Cat less Headers and Xpipe
LT2 intake Manifold
Rotofab Intake Dry filter
Solar 91mm Throttle body
JLT catch can
Tuned on 93 and 85, Car was on 93 when this happened
DSX Flex Fuel Kit
Attached Images

Tim Trempz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Show the LT2 and how you installed the PCV hose. If the hose gets kinked with the hood closed the blowby gases have nowhere to go but back through your intake (PCV in reverse, essentially). If pressure gets high enough, possibly past the rings and back into the cylinders that are in the intake or exhaust stroke.

There are two threads on this now. The gases evacuated by the PCV system are not a small matter.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
Tim Trempz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Show the LT2 and how you installed the PCV hose. If the hose gets kinked with the hood closed the blowby gases have nowhere to go but back through your intake (PCV in reverse, essentially). If pressure gets high enough, possibly past the rings and back into the cylinders that are in the intake or exhaust stroke.

There are two threads on this now. The gases evacuated by the PCV system are not a small matter.
Ya I saw your post on the other one, anyways here's the photo of the pcv hoses.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 PM   #4
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Or, you got a bad tune and killed a piston.

Generally, a blown front seal is a sign of massive blow by.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trempz View Post
Ya I saw your post on the other one, anyways here's the photo of the pcv hoses.
What does it look like on the oil separator side (right side)? The gases flow in different directions depending on engine vacuum. The right side parts evacuate the rocker covers when the blowby overwhelms what can go through the pcv valve orifice.

There is no question that pressure from blowby gases can blow through seals if it has nowhere else to go.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
Tim Trempz

Quote:
What does it look like on the oil separator side (right side)? The gases flow in different directions depending on engine vacuum. The right side parts evacuate the rocker covers when the blowby overwhelms what can go through the pcv valve orifice.

There is no question that pressure from blowby gases can blow through seals if it has nowhere else to go.
Here's the full photo good sir, appreciate the help.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #7
ctrlz

Your PCV system looks OK from the photos. The left side is the part that operates when vacuum is present. Gases get sucked up through the pcv valve, through the catch can, and then are drawn into the intake plenum. The right side fittings act as a vent when there is vacuum, letting fresh (metered) air into the crankcase.

The right side is the side which handles excess pressure in the crankcase. This is the part I would worry about if seals were blowing oil. At wide open throttle there is no vacuum, so the pcv valve is closed. In this situation pressure builds in the crankcase and gases exit through both valve covers, enter the oil separator, exit through the center fitting, and enter the intake tube between the MAF and the throttle body. It looks like you have that fitting installed. Any kinks or damage to the three tubes which connect to the oil separator could cause problems.

The coolant is low in the photo you posted. Top tank should be completely filled. Bottom tank has a fill line.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #8
Tim Trempz

Quote:
Your PCV system looks OK from the photos. The left side is the part that operates when vacuum is present. Gases get sucked up through the pcv valve, through the catch can, and then are drawn into the intake plenum. The right side fittings act as a vent when there is vacuum, letting fresh (metered) air into the crankcase.

The right side is the side which handles excess pressure in the crankcase. This is the part I would worry about if seals were blowing oil. At wide open throttle there is no vacuum, so the pcv valve is closed. In this situation pressure builds in the crankcase and gases exit through both valve covers, enter the oil separator, exit through the center fitting, and enter the intake tube between the MAF and the throttle body. It looks like you have that fitting installed. Any kinks or damage to the three tubes which connect to the oil separator could cause problems.

The coolant is low in the photo you posted. Top tank should be completely filled. Bottom tank has a fill line.
Ya it's an old photo from when I first installed the LT2 manifold so this was before the seal blew, you think it was just a freak accident? Other suspicion would be my catchcan got full of oil while running or oil sloshed around and got it clogged but when I went to check it the next day it was half full of oil. Currently I still have a small leak that I can't pin point but it's coming from behind the motor somewhere can't tell if it's the rear main or not but it's a very slo leak. Also I am having to top it off with oil every now and again but it's like a 1/4 to 1/2 a quart at a time which to me just seems like typical V8. Anyways again appreciate your help!
Old 05-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
ctrlz

If the catchcan side gets clogged you will have poor scavenging of crankcase gases at idle. This can give you rough idle and misfires at idle. Same symptoms as a clogged pcv valve.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
Tim Trempz

Quote:
If the catchcan side gets clogged you will have poor scavenging of crankcase gases at idle. This can give you rough idle and misfires at idle. Same symptoms as a clogged pcv valve.
Gotcha, I think when I go back to the track I'll take the catch can off and run the stock line