Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Looking for recommendations - Camera & in-car mount

Loving the PDR, but I'd also like to capture in-car video for additional analysis. Looking to capture the steering wheel and view out of the windshield. Is there a particular mount most people are using? Is headrest mount the best location?

I've also read good things about the GoPros (obviously) and the Garmin Ultra 30. Any recommendations between the two or other options to consider?

Lastly, I've seen some videos of in-car video inset on the PDR video. What software is this done with and is it difficult to sync up the two videos? Given the wind noise from the PDR, is it preferred to use audio from the action cam? External mic or no? It so, what placement?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get my setup right for the next track event. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I had a similar issue a few years ago.

Discovered the Tackform products. They are awesome.

https://www.tackform.com/collections...-action-camera

I have the arm on my passenger headrest. Just get their GoPro mount instead of the phone mount.

It's really easy to get on/off (the base stays attached to the head rest).

As for mixing in the video, I use PowerDirector. There was a learning curve, but they have great tutorials and there are lots of YouTube videos showing you exactly how to sync up multiple video/audio streams.

https://youtu.be/3d5x5Mk3uqI

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I had a similar issue a few years ago.

Discovered the Tackform products. They are awesome.

https://www.tackform.com/collections...-action-camera

I have the arm on my passenger headrest. Just get their GoPro mount instead of the phone mount.

It's really easy to get on/off (the base stays attached to the head rest).

As for mixing in the video, I use PowerDirector. There was a learning curve, but they have great tutorials and there are lots of YouTube videos showing you exactly how to sync up multiple video/audio streams.

https://youtu.be/3d5x5Mk3uqI
+1 on the tackform headrest mount. It's great paired with a go pro. Run an external mic through the trunk and tape to your license plate and pick up the exhaust note as a bonus. Great track videos!
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a goprohero9 my gf got me for xmas i use it on the outside quarter window facing forward so i can see the track and see my hands on the wheel...once i get my cage in ill probably buy a cage mount to get a better view/angle
Old 05-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
I only drag race but have used both helmet mount and headrest mounts for my gopro 7 and prefer the headrest mount, allows me to see what I am doing as well as out the windshield
Old 05-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I second the Tackform, quality product. I’d stay away from GoPro if there are other options. Easily the most buggy $400 junk on the market. Batteries always dead, even if charged night before, no real software support (Quik only supports 30 second clips), constant freezes requiring you to pull battery. Also stabilization algorithm is useless for Autocross, the yaw axis ‘floats’ as if your camera mount is loose.

I’ve stopped using GP simply because it aggravates me too much and ruins my track days experience. FYI, I’m using a Hero 8 with latest firmware.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Mounts: Panavise.. the oroginal, still the best

Camera - too many options, I use Garmin Ultra 30 w OBD2 dongle for RPM, MPH, etc.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I have the Tackform seat headrest mount as well.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:12 PM   #9
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I second the Tackform, quality product. I’d stay away from GoPro if there are other options. Easily the most buggy $400 junk on the market. Batteries always dead, even if charged night before, no real software support (Quik only supports 30 second clips), constant freezes requiring you to pull battery. Also stabilization algorithm is useless for Autocross, the yaw axis ‘floats’ as if your camera mount is loose.

I’ve stopped using GP simply because it aggravates me too much and ruins my track days experience. FYI, I’m using a Hero 8 with latest firmware.

I'm so happy to hear you say that about GoPro. I have come to loathe mine for all of the reasons you state.

Not to mention that half the time it'll record part of a session and then suddenly, the audio will continue, but the video is frozen.

Missed video of my only session at Daytona under the lights due to that stupid thing.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:55 PM   #10
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sounds like the tackform headrest mount is most popular, so I'll pick that up.

If not GoPro for the action cam, what do you all recommend? While I think I'd love a SmartyCam, I'm not ready to spend that much.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:19 AM   #11
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I'm so happy to hear you say that about GoPro. I have come to loathe mine for all of the reasons you state.

Not to mention that half the time it'll record part of a session and then suddenly, the audio will continue, but the video is frozen.

Missed video of my only session at Daytona under the lights due to that stupid thing.

Mine just did the same thing withe freezing mid session. It's never done that before, I'm going to try formatting the SD card after each track day. Disappointing.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I am adding a Gopro looking at myself over my PDR footage so I can see how much I am flopping around in car
https://youtu.be/l_yvNAsZiPY
Old 05-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #13
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
I dislike the Tackform headrest solution. The product itself is fine. The Recaro headrest posts are just too floppy. So the camera moves around a lot. If anyone would like to buy my gently used Tackform mount, hit me up on PM.

Really happy with this mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K8Q0EU
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote