Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
My Gen5 to Gen6 Impressions

I recently upgraded from a 2013 2SS 1LE with NPP, NAV and sunroof to a 2016 2SS, with A8, MRC, NAV and NPP. Now that I have had a little seat time I thought I would provide a list of things I am truly appreciating on a day-to-day basis in my G6 vs. the G5 1LE that may help other potential buyers. You know, since GM may need some help based on the sales lately...

- Seat Comfort - The first thing I noticed is how much better the leather seats feel vs. my 2013. The leather is softer and the bolsters hug you much better now. In 2SS trim they are heated and ventilated. Being in Florida the ventilated option is pretty nice. It doesn't turn the seat into an ice cube but it provides a couple cool spots on my butt and middle of back.

- Improved Safety Tech - I didn't give it much consideration since I was already used to the Camaro visibility but the Blindspot monitor and Lane Watch tech is pretty nice to have as a security blanket. I have only had the Rear Traffic alert come on one time so far but it is pretty darn cool to hear the beeps and look at the camera and sure enough you get arrows pointing in the direction of the car that is coming. Speaking of the backup camera my 2013 did not have the gridlines or telemetry. I always have to squeeze by my wife's car in the morning and the sensors and dynamic gridlines just provide that extra bit of confirmation that I am not gonna hit anything when backing up while turning.

- MyLink/Bose Stereo - I had the Boston Acoustic system in my 2013. The Bose system in the 2016 is nice but I wouldn't say the audio quality is dramatically better. It is good but not Mark Levinson good if you know what I mean. However, the MyLink software and Touch screen performance is a huge upgrade. The Touch responsiveness of the unit is great, much faster than the prior gen. My Apple iPhone 6 paired up via Bluetooth with no issue. If I want to play a song from my iPhone I just stream it over Bluetooth and it works great. I have tried the Apple CarPlay system one time so far. It is pretty nice and probably what I would be using all the time if I didn't get NAV. Speaking of the NAV system, I didn't plan on getting it, I was gonna save a few bucks and just use the iPhone/Carplay but the car I bought already had it. I have to say I am really happy I got it. It works really well and integrates the turn by turn information on the dash and with the HUD. Another nice touch is it pulls the speed limits from the NAV database and posts a speed limit icon on the dash for the road your are currently traveling on. Furthermore, you get weather alerts, traffic alerts (like what WAZE provides), closest gas stations lists, etc.

- Sunroof - I don't miss it. I never really opened it when I had it since it doesn't really provide that open air feeling you get from a convertible. It just adds weight and cost ($900), reduces headroom plus you lose the reverse mohawk look of the roof.

- NPP Exhaust - The NPP in the G5 LS3 cars had valves that were vacuum controlled. Basically they were open at idle and then they would close at cruise/low rpm but then if you put your foot in it around 3500rpm they would open up. The NPP in the G6 is a lot more controllable with its electric valves. You have a Stealth/Tour/Sport/Track. These different modes either close the valves completely or open and close then at various rpm levels. That said, I didn't like the way the exhaust sounds at low rpm with the valves close. For me it makes a buzzing/rattle that many have commented about. My fix, pull fuse 51 and call it a day. It keeps the valves open all the time and it sounds better IMO. With the A8, we have AFM valves anyway, which close during cruise anyway so you will never get any drone. Overall, the GEN6 NPP seems louder to me at the higher RPMs. The combination of it and the LT1 creates a more raspy exhaust note than the GEN5 NPP did. Overall, definitely worth the $895 option. If you go with quality aftermarket you are going to spend much more that this.

Driving Impressions - the first thing you notice is how much more light and nimble the car feels compared to the Gen5. I test drove both the M6 and A8 multiple times. I was gonna go with the M6 again because I like to row my own gears but this A8 spoke to me. It is unlike any other auto I have ever driven. It is geared very nice and just rips through the gears so fast, it is really impressive when combined with the NPP exhaust note. The A10 in the ZL1 is going to take it to a whole other level as well. I drove a car with and without MRC. I am not gonna say you need MRC to enjoy the car because you don't but the technology and ride improvement that you get for $1695 msrp it definitely worth it. I describe it as having more "range" in your suspension dampening. If you just feel like cruising and letting it soak up the bumps then set it in Tour mode and have a nice ride. However, it you feel inspired to take to the twisties/track and get more feedback from the road you set it to Track and it firms everything up in an instant. If you study up on MRC I think you will agree that the tech is worth the money. It is always working even when you are not tracking your car, etc. It can alter the the suspension dampers so quickly that it if your front tires hit a crack in the pavement at 50mph it can signal the rear dampers to soften up and prepare for the bump before the rear tires even hits the bump.

- LT1 - The LS series are glorious motors and the LT1 just improves upon it even further. I feel that the LT1 is smoother and more free-revving than the LS3. I am not sure if it is the VVT but it definitely feels more refined. When combined with the A8, it switches into AFM V4 mode and I see 30-32mpg on my display when cruising at 70mph.

- Value - I grew up driving used Camaros and Trans-Ams so I never thought I would say Camaro and $45k in the same sentence. However, I honestly think it provides the best value if you are looking for a car like this. Of course, if you are not a car/driving enthusiast and just need basic transportation then just go get a Honda or Toyota, etc. and call it a day. I have a minivan for that purpose. However, if you are one of a dying breed of car enthusiasts then the new Camaro should be on your list of cars to evaluate. The reason why this car represents such a good value is because it is needs to be compared to cars costing much more than it. I have tried to explain to folks who have a tough time justifying 40-50k on a Camaro to consider this. What if the Camaro offered 95% of the Corvette Stingray driving experience for $20k less? Or what if the $45k Camaro SS is being compared to $70k BMW M4s or $70k Audi RS5s and is considered better by educated folks from Motortrend. Is it a good value then? I get that for some they need the status symbol that comes with the high-line brands but if you are like me you tend to seek out the best price/performance ratio when it comes to purchasing. I may have spent over $40k on a Camaro but I know that it outperforms cars costing way more than it. That is the best part. You get a $70k driving experience for $30k less, that is value in my mind. Also known as best bang for the buck.

To sum it up, the new SS is a huge improvement over the my 2013 Gen5. I would suggest to those who are on the fence that you just take it for a test drive to see how you like it. The Gen5 1LE was a great car and the new SS is even better. I can't wait to see what the 1LE, ZL1 and Z28 bring to the table.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6

Last edited by raptor5244; 07-03-2016 at 11:30 AM.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Hey GM, pay this man!
Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #3
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Great write up. I'll see if I can do one once I pick up my 17 today. I'll do a 4th/5th/6th gen comparison at some point.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #4
suzook

Drives: camaro
Great write up! Agree with all except the sound quality of the Bose. I think it sounds MUCH better than the pos Boston unit. Sure it could sound better, but IMO is definitely an improvement.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Software Guy View Post
Great write up. I'll see if I can do one once I pick up my 17 today. I'll do a 4th/5th/6th gen comparison at some point.
That would cool to hear. I skipped the 4th gen but I had a couple 3rd gens when I was younger and I drove around as a kid in my parents 2nd gen if that counts.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Great write up! Agree with all except the sound quality of the Bose. I think it sounds MUCH better than the pos Boston unit. Sure it could sound better, but IMO is definitely an improvement.
Yeah, I may have been a little harsh on the Bose. I am probably more critical than most since I used to be into car audio as a hobby and know how good a system can sound. The Bose system definitely sounds a lot better when you play a high fidelity source through it, like music from a direct connected iPhone. I kind of wish it had HD radio support. However, these days I find myself listening to the NPP exhaust more than anything.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #7
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
That would cool to hear. I skipped the 4th gen but I had a couple 3rd gens when I was younger and I drove around as a kid in my parents 2nd gen if that counts.
It counts to prove that you had cool parents with great taste
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsatisfied View Post
It counts to prove that you had cool parents with great taste
I think that is why I love the cars so much after 40 years. One of the best cars my mom ever owned was a gen 3 Z28 pace car edition. She says she still misses that car.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
raptor5244

I added a "value" section to share my thoughts. I am curious to hear from others.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I grew up driving used Camaros and Trans-Ams so I never thought I would say Camaro and $45k in the same sentence. However, I honestly think it provides the best value if you are looking for a car like this. Of course, if you are not a car/driving enthusiast and just need basic transportation then just go get a Honda or Toyota, etc. and call it a day. I have a minivan for that purpose. However, if you are one of a dying breed of car enthusiasts then the new Camaro should be on your list of cars to evaluate. The reason why this car represents such a good value is because it is needs to be compared to cars costing much more than it. I have tried to explain to folks who have a tough time justifying 40-50k on a Camaro to consider this.
I'm one of those folks who have a hard time justifying $50k for a Camaro. So, you know what I did? I purchased the less expensive model and it fullfills all of my needs plus a lot more than I could have ever imagined. Sure, mine's last year's model, a 5th gen 1LS. However, I'm having a lot of fun in this car especially with the 6-sp manual transmission.

You don't have buy the full tilt 2SS V8 to be a car enthusiast. I consider myself a car enthusiast and if I was in the same position this year that I was in last year, I probably would be driving a 6th gen 1LT with either the base turbo 4 cyl or the LGX V6. I have found that the LFX, predecessor to the LGX, offers a level of performance that the V8 offered just a few years ago. I'm sure the 455 hp LT1 is like a rocket ship. However, the V6 was right for my needs considering the value you get with that engine for the price. In fact, I would say it is fairly quick for what it is.

With the Alpha based platform saving up to 397 lbs on certain models, the performance of the 6th gen should be even better on the non V8 models. And, the newly available LTG 4 cyl turbo (with future aftermarket support) may turn out to be the performance bargain of the decade. So, there's no need to jump ship to Honda or Toyota for a cheap compact coupe. The Camaro offers a high level of performance, safety and technology for a good price. That is, unless you need a four door sedan or something which the Camaro and vehicles like it is something you should not even be considering when car shopping.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
I'm one of those folks who have a hard time justifying $50k for a Camaro. So, you know what I did? I purchased the less expensive model and it fullfills all of my needs plus a lot more than I could have ever imagined. Sure, mine's last year's model, a 5th gen 1LS. However, I'm having a lot of fun in this car especially with the 6-sp manual transmission.

You don't have buy the full tilt 2SS V8 to be a car enthusiast. I consider myself a car enthusiast and if I was in the same position this year that I was in last year, I probably would be driving a 6th gen 1LT with either the base turbo 4 cyl or the LGX V6. I have found that the LFX, predecessor to the LGX, offers a level of performance that the V8 offered just a few years ago. I'm sure the 455 hp LT1 is like a rocket ship. However, the V6 was right for my needs considering the value you get with that engine for the price. In fact, I would say it is fairly quick for what it is.

With the Alpha based platform saving up to 397 lbs on certain models, the performance of the 6th gen should be even better on the non V8 models. And, the newly available LTG 4 cyl turbo (with future aftermarket support) may turn out to be the performance bargain of the decade. So, there's no need to jump ship to Honda or Toyota for a cheap compact coupe. The Camaro offers a high level of performance, safety and technology for a good price. That is, unless you need a four door sedan or something which the Camaro and vehicles like it is something you should not even be considering when car shopping.

Good points. I didn't mean to leave out the non-SS members or potential buyers. My only perspective is from the SS Camaros. I think your points are the most necessary from a sales standpoint since the bulk of sales are usually for the Turbo 4 and V6 Camaros.

We should probably have a thread comparing the Camaro Turbo 4 and V6 vs. cars like the FRS/BRZ, WRX, Genesis Coupe, Mustang, etc. Even a 2LT with 335hp should be great competition for anything really at that price point.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
As a long time Fbody guy I had a few 3dgen T/A's, a 4thgen Z28 and most recently my '14 2SS which IMO was a gorgeous car after I was done with it....I never thought I'd spend as much as I did on a Camaro but GM employee discount and 0% financing sold me. This is my first brand new car and I couldn't be happier.

Raptor, your assessment is spot on, the chassis is just awesome. The build quality is much better.

My only real complaint and this is pretty minor....the lack of center console and glove compartment storage space...drives me nuts lol
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
Jamesgn

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Awaiting 2017 2SS

Raptor,
I have never been a Camaro owner, the closest I have come to that was a 79 10th aniv. TA. That's when I learned that driving their was more fun than getting their. We ordered a new 2017 because everything in TX didn't match up with what we wanted, like no damn sun roof!

Your post just validates everything I felt about the car and especially the ride and feel. This car is going to take us all over, we want to "see the USA in our Chevrolet". Starting with the Camaro Rally. Then it's anywhere my wife and I choose to go.

Thanks for your post, we will se you on the road.

Jamesgn
Jamesgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Nice write up, I look forward to getting my SS next year.
SDG23 is offline   Reply With Quote