Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Tiger Woods

Looks like the sheriffs department investigating Tiger Woods crash has a search warrant for the Hyundai’s black box.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...h3I?li=BBnbfcL

One thing the article talks about is the lack of skid marks. Someone should let the author know that since the advent of ABS and traction control as standard equipment on most cars in the last 20 years, you’ll likely never see skid marks on an accident scene again. Just because there’s no tire marks doesn’t mean he didn’t slam on the brakes and try to steer. That’s what the black box computer will show.

Gone are the days of locked up skid marks 50 feet before an accident scene.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
https://www.cedtechnologies.com/are-...h-abs-systems/
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Looks like the sheriffs department investigating Tiger Woods crash has a search warrant for the Hyundai’s black box.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...h3I?li=BBnbfcL

One thing the article talks about is the lack of skid marks. Someone should let the author know that since the advent of ABS and traction control as standard equipment on most cars in the last 20 years, you’ll likely never see skid marks on an accident scene again. Just because there’s no tire marks doesn’t mean he didn’t slam on the brakes and try to steer. That’s what the black box computer will show.

Gone are the days of locked up skid marks 50 feet before an accident scene.
I thought he was driving a Lexus RX. Guess i need my eyes checked lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Yep a Hyundai. I keep hearing all about how safe they are now.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Sounds like a combination witch doctor/ambulance chasing attorney's office
Old 03-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I thought he was driving a Lexus RX. Guess i need my eyes checked lol
Apparently it was a sponsor vehicle, and he insisted on driving himself even though these events with sports/music/entertainment stars will certainly pick them up and drive them.

With Tiger being worth something around $900m, a $35,000 SUV is probably not in his garage. He loses that amount of money in the cushions of his sofa in loose change every week
Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Apparently it was a sponsor vehicle, and he insisted on driving himself even though these events with sports/music/entertainment stars will certainly pick them up and drive them.

With Tiger being worth something around $900m, a $35,000 SUV is probably not in his garage. He loses that amount of money in the cushions of his sofa in loose change every week
Maybe he pulled a Jeremy Clarkson - but followed through with it.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Thousands and thousands of drivers successfully negotiate that stretch of road daily. Is it dangerous? It can be, depending on how you drive. Can it be made safer? Yes, absolutely. To me the most glaring feature that is absent is the use of a center median and barrier to prevent traveling into the opposite direction of on-coming cars and head on collisions.

You must remember where this is. A very up-scale neighborhood where a functioning center median would look like the Berlin wall, and a pitchfork mob would spell the end of any councilman's career who promoted it's construction. Aesthetics and landscaping sometimes are more important than what can make something safe, depending on where you live.

There is a serious accident there on average once a month. But now that one involved Tiger Woods, perhaps the road will be made safer. My $.02.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Thousands and thousands of drivers successfully negotiate that stretch of road daily. Is it dangerous? It can be, depending on how you drive. Can it be made safer? Yes, absolutely. To me the most glaring feature that is absent is the use of a center median and barrier to prevent traveling into the opposite direction of on-coming cars and head on collisions.

You must remember where this is. A very up-scale neighborhood where a functioning center median would look like the Berlin wall, and a pitchfork mob would spell the end of any councilman's career who promoted it's construction. Aesthetics and landscaping sometimes are more important than what can make something safe, depending on where you live.

There is a serious accident there on average once a month. But now that one involved Tiger Woods, perhaps the road will be made safer. My $.02.
I'm not blaming anyone or anything other than questionable driving by Tiger. Unless and until the car's black box data proves what happened, it just seems like he either wasn't paying attention or was under some kind of influence (which I doubt). Like you say, thousands of drivers successfully negotiate that stretch of road daily. If you just slow down and pay attention, there's no need for a divider.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I'm not blaming anyone or anything other than questionable driving by Tiger. Unless and until the car's black box data proves what happened, it just seems like he either wasn't paying attention or was under some kind of influence (which I doubt). Like you say, thousands of drivers successfully negotiate that stretch of road daily. If you just slow down and pay attention, there's no need for a divider.
Yes. Had he collided with and injured another motorist, there would definitely be blame assigned. Part of that blame would be the lack of a center barrier. Just below where tiger came to a stop are the first of two runaway vehicle escape lanes. A road that needs two escape lanes could also use a good center divider.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

Looks like it wouldn't take much to get into trouble on that road. A little inattention due to a cell phone, not realizing the speed downhill, etc. I can't find it now, but I recall reading that there were 2 additional wrecks that day on that stretch of road and that the road has a couple of those runaway truck sand/gravel exits.

Quote:
Sounds like a combination witch doctor/ambulance chasing attorney's office

Looks legit to me, I'm sure they do a bunch of work for accident attorneys though. The customers they have doesn't make their forensic/accident reconstruction invalid. If you do a panic stop in a car with ABS, you'll likely still see tire marks, just not a solid thick stripe of rubber like the good ol' days.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #12
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
I heard someone was chasing him with a golf club!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
a $35,000 SUV is probably not in his garage.
They start at $49,000
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
I heard someone was chasing him with a golf club!
^^ now that's not even funny!!! He could have been killed in the crash!