Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 01-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #15
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
Nah. People get too hung up on names. The new Blazer is selling like hot cakes. Dealers can hardly keep them on the lot. With that said, my wife has one and loves it.

Rumor has it GMC was going to come out with the Jimmy (with some serious chops) in tandem with the next generation Colorado/Canyon, but ultimately got shelved.

It costs a lot of money to develop vehicles. Consider GM has to develop and produce ICE cars and EVs concurrently. It would be nice if GM offered a Bronco competitor that is powered by gas/diesel, but it doesn't make business sense with the Hummer EV in play.

GM has a firm foot in the EV game, and future sustainability.
Jeep is single handedly keeping FCA (now Stellantis) in business. If that company crumbles and Jeep is ever offered to the public for sale again there will be a mad rush by any company with an ounce of business sense to buy it.

Ford recognized how much money they're missing out on the serious SUV market and they went in on it. Yes the badge and nostalgia are all there on the side as part of the PR, but seriously from a business aspect Ford knew they needed to get into the serious off road capable SUV market with something like a Wrangler.

There is an entire aftermarket on fire that people are putting big V8s into Wranglers, so guess what? FCA/Stellantis realized this so now they're going as far as offering the 392 Hemi as a factory option for the Wrangler.

Ford was never going to offer a V8 at all on the Bronco. Word is now they are racking their brains over how to make the Coyote work in the Bronco chassis and drivetrain.

Meanwhile GM's in ignorant bliss over the success of their soccer mom mobile. Sure it's selling. But GM is still missing out on that market. There's money to be made there and GM's just giving it to Ford and Jeep.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:10 AM   #16
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I don't think the Blazer looks bad. I do think the Bronco is ugly. I could careless about either of them tough and I could careless about any suv being able to go off road. 99% of anyone buying a Blazer or Bronco will never drive them off road anyway. Most people who are serious into off road vehicles get a jeep and mod it. Look at the Range Rover. They are built for off road and many other things, but all you see those $70k vehicles is a soccer mom behind the wheel in town. If I ever downsize my Tahoe, I'd for sure get a blazer. RS
Of course, 90% of Jeep Wranglers never go off pavement and neither will the Broncos.

Yet Ford has already sold out of their max capacity allotment for 2021 and they haven't even started production yet.

They're both going to continue to be solid sellers into the future.

GM's missing out on the market.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #17
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Of course, 90% of Jeep Wranglers never go off pavement and neither will the Broncos.

Yet Ford has already sold out of their max capacity allotment for 2021 and they haven't even started production yet.

They're both going to continue to be solid sellers into the future.

GM's missing out on the market.
They are only missing out on that market if they wanted a part of that market to begin with. I'm not sure if they do or don't honestly. Nobody owns the full size SUV market like GM does.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #18
CHerna

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Jeep is single handedly keeping FCA (now Stellantis) in business. If that company crumbles and Jeep is ever offered to the public for sale again there will be a mad rush by any company with an ounce of business sense to buy it.

Ford recognized how much money they're missing out on the serious SUV market and they went in on it. Yes the badge and nostalgia are all there on the side as part of the PR, but seriously from a business aspect Ford knew they needed to get into the serious off road capable SUV market with something like a Wrangler.

There is an entire aftermarket on fire that people are putting big V8s into Wranglers, so guess what? FCA/Stellantis realized this so now they're going as far as offering the 392 Hemi as a factory option for the Wrangler.

Ford was never going to offer a V8 at all on the Bronco. Word is now they are racking their brains over how to make the Coyote work in the Bronco chassis and drivetrain.

Meanwhile GM's in ignorant bliss over the success of their soccer mom mobile. Sure it's selling. But GM is still missing out on that market. There's money to be made there and GM's just giving it to Ford and Jeep.
I agree with you. GM is definitely missing out on that market. GM could definitely put a good dent in that market. Especially with the engineering that has gone into the Colorado ZR2. Like I said, I would like to see that from GM, but it's likely not going to happen. Due to the fact that GM is dumping a lot of money into EV development.

One could argue that Ford and Stellantis are missing out on the EV market. Stellantis' true EV's are still a ways out. Sure, Ford has the Mustang Mach-E, but it is pretty laughable, IMO. In terms of the big 3, GM is in the lead when it comes to EV development.

Previous: Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:12 AM   #19
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe5163 View Post
I seen the new Colt raised by Goats Bronco commercial today, is it me or did Chevy drop the ball on the Blazer? Shouldn't it have been a dedicated off-road 4x4 instead of filling a slot in their SUV line-up.
dumbest commercial ever
Old 01-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You are all forgetting about the Hummer brand. GM had multiple models and was planning more. Was not profitable enough to keep.

As a singularity, having a single model for off road isn't worth the development cost. Ford is creating a brand around Bronco and they launched with 2 models (LOL one based on the Escape, I was asked to evaluate a Hummer based on the Equinox years ago). A pickup is on the way based on spy shots.

Now is you want to bring something back, how about the International Scout
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 AM   #21
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
One could argue that Ford and Stellantis are missing out on the EV market. Stellantis' true EV's are still a ways out. Sure, Ford has the Mustang Mach-E, but it is pretty laughable, IMO. In terms of the big 3, GM is in the lead when it comes to EV development.
The EV market isn't going to be as big as GM thinks it is. It's at 2% right now. Even if the government accelerates infrastructure to make a charger on every street corner and GM comes out with some magic battery that can go from 0% to complete 100% charge in 10 minutes and give you 350 miles of cruising range with a full charge WITH all the electrical load on (A/C, wipers, lights, cruise, stereo) running in stop and go traffic on a 110 degree day, it may go to 10% in 20 years.

GM is risking the future of the company if they are stupid enough to go all-in on electric and quit making V6 and V8 engines. Kiss the General goodbye in 50 years. Mark my words.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #22
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You are all forgetting about the Hummer brand. GM had multiple models and was planning more. Was not profitable enough to keep.

As a singularity, having a single model for off road isn't worth the development cost. Ford is creating a brand around Bronco and they launched with 2 models (LOL one based on the Escape, I was asked to evaluate a Hummer based on the Equinox years ago). A pickup is on the way based on spy shots.

The Hummer brand was a joke. In the serious off roading world it was laughed at because they weren't designed with ease of repair and modification like Wranglers and Broncos. I've been to Jeep week in Moab. My stepbrother has a fully custom'd 2005 Wrangler. Not once did I ever see a Hummer on those trails.

Plenty of old school K5 Blazers though
Old 01-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #23
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I don't think the Blazer looks bad. I do think the Bronco is ugly. I could careless about either of them tough and I could careless about any suv being able to go off road. 99% of anyone buying a Blazer or Bronco will never drive them off road anyway. Most people who are serious into off road vehicles get a jeep and mod it. Look at the Range Rover. They are built for off road and many other things, but all you see those $70k vehicles is a soccer mom behind the wheel in town. If I ever downsize my Tahoe, I'd for sure get a blazer. RS
I have mixed feelings on the new Blazer. There are are parts of the styling I like, and parts I don't. The overall presence of the Blazer, to me, is a cheaper subcompact that is labelled as an "SUV". I think it was a mistake to call that a Blazer, especially considering what the old Blazers were, or even the old Trailblazers for that matter. The Bronco has a funky look but I think I kind of like it .

I understand the point of not making it off-road because that is not what most people use them for, but that is really irrelevant. There are SO many products that people buy into that aren't used as "intended", BUT people still buy into the idea of them. I'm sorry to say, but the large majority of the Range Rover owners likely have no idea that their vehicle is even off-road capable, let alone being one of the best available. The same can be said for the Cayenne - those are ~phenomenal~ off-road machines. Range Rover, for years, has been a status symbol in the SUV market. In another sense, you're also preaching to the villagers below from the top of your hill. You said yourself that you have a Tahoe, which obviously has a big motor (V8) and a truck-based frame...THAT is an SUV, the new Blazer is not.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #24
zaimer

Quote:

I completely agree. I have honestly looking into purchasing a Wrangler Unlimited in the past, especially after the latest refresh of the interiors. It basically came down to the motor for me. The V6's have power to get by, but it is not enough IMO. If there was the option to get into some sort of V8, the chance of gaining my sale would've greatly increased.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #25
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I completely agree. I have honestly looking into purchasing a Wrangler Unlimited in the past, especially after the latest refresh of the interiors. It basically came down to the motor for me. The V6's have power to get by, but it is not enough IMO. If there was the option to get into some sort of V8, the chance of gaining my sale would've greatly increased.
I started saving $250/paycheck towards a new Wrangler the second they announced they were going to offer the 392. If Ford puts the Coyote in the Bronco I may go with the Bronco.

GM are you listening? I’m saving money for something you don’t make!
Old 01-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #26
zaimer

Quote:
I started saving $250/paycheck towards a new Wrangler the second they announced they were going to offer the 392. If Ford puts the Coyote in the Bronco I may go with the Bronco.

GM are you listening? I’m saving money for something you don’t make!
The Bronco has sparked my interest. I think I will have to touch/see/feel it in person to determine if I really like it or not. The design is too funky to get a true feel by photos or video. Yes, the Jeep with the 392 sounds like fun.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #27
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
The Bronco has sparked my interest. I think I will have to touch/see/feel it in person to determine if I really like it or not. The design is too funky to get a true feel by photos or video. Yes, the Jeep with the 392 sounds like fun.
I live in Cleveland, Ohio. The closest thing we have to serious off-roading is potholes.... which may give Hell’s Revenge in Moab a run for its money

But if I had either the Wrangler or Bronco Ud make the trek to southern Ohio where the Appalachians start and probably spend many weekends down there.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #28
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

How does Hummer even remotely compare to the Bronco?