Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
altjx

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Anyone here came from a GT350?

Hey guys. Really new to the forum and hoping to not get trolled or flamed for asking this here, but I'm genuinely interested to know if anyone of you have or had a GT350 before getting in the ZL1.

I've personally never really been a camaro fan except for the ZL1, but after experiencing a ton of issues with my GT350 over the year I've had it, I've started watching a ton of '18 ZL1 1LE and '17 ZL1 videos, seeing how there's rev matching on the standards, the shifter is mounted on the transmission (and not remote mounted like on the GT350s), carbon ceramic brakes that don't squeal "normally" (according to Ford our brake squeal is normal), etc.

So I'm genuinely curious to know what some of you may think if you've been in a GT350. My buddy with just an SS says his car feels a lot better than my GT350 when he drove it, so it's really got me curious now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!
altjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Hey. Welcome to the forum. I'm probably the biggest GT350 hater here, lol! But I'm trying to tone it down a bit. Anyway, sorry to hear that your car has had issues. I know what it's like when a car you enjoy have issues. It sucks. I hope you get it resolved and get back to driving your pride and joy. The GT350 is a nice car. But I don't think it can compare to the 6th Gen ZL1. I'd recommend finding a dealership and giving it a test drive to see for yourself. The ZL1 is a phenomenal car for sure. So good luck in your shopping. And maybe you can find a way to own both cars! That would be pretty cool!!

And I'll add this, don't let what someone else say about your GT350 (referring to your friend who you let drive it) make you feel insecure about your car or appreciate it less. I I had to choose between the SS and GT350 and if I were staying stock or with just bolt-ons then I'd probably pick a GT350 over the SS. Whatever you do tho, enjoy your car.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
At this point, I would just wait. The GT350 is on its way out and something else may be coming soon. Or maybe not. But a camaro refresh is coming soon too, so it would pay to just wait it out 6 months or so to see. I think you would know if you really REALLY wanted a current ZL1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #4
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
At this point, I would just wait. The GT350 is on its way out and something else may be coming soon. Or maybe not. But a camaro refresh is coming soon too, so it would pay to just wait it out 6 months or so to see. I think you would know if you really REALLY wanted a current ZL1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This^^

The GT500 is knocking on the door and most of us assume some small tweaks to the mid cycle refresh of the ZL1. I favor Chevy and think the ZL1 looks substantially better but I’m admittedly waiting to see how crazy the 500 will be. We should know something about both in the next 2-3 months
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 AM   #5
Race Car

Drives: 997 2S, 991.2 GT3, ZLE 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by altjx View Post
Hey guys. Really new to the forum and hoping to not get trolled or flamed for asking this here, but I'm genuinely interested to know if anyone of you have or had a GT350 before getting in the ZL1.

I've personally never really been a camaro fan except for the ZL1, but after experiencing a ton of issues with my GT350 over the year I've had it, I've started watching a ton of '18 ZL1 1LE and '17 ZL1 videos, seeing how there's rev matching on the standards, the shifter is mounted on the transmission (and not remote mounted like on the GT350s), carbon ceramic brakes that don't squeal "normally" (according to Ford our brake squeal is normal), etc.

So I'm genuinely curious to know what some of you may think if you've been in a GT350. My buddy with just an SS says his car feels a lot better than my GT350 when he drove it, so it's really got me curious now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!
i don't have my 1LE yet, but I can tell you quality issues plague everyone. Even my GT3 has them. All 2014 GT3s had their engines replaced by Porsche and a large number of 2015s. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it for you to deal with the problems. I'm keeping my love affair with my GT3 alive, but retiring it from track duty. The 1LE will replace it primarily due to cheaper parts costs.

Squeeling brakes are normal for track pads and learn to heel toe 🏎
Race Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
topfinadv

Drives: Shelby GT350
Well for what its worth I came from a GT350. I am not going to bash the car it really was quite good. The exhaust note on the Shelby was much better than the ZL1. Interior much better on the ZL1, Looks wise I like the ZL1 better. I wanted a convertible so I made the switch. But u can't go wrong with either.
topfinadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
I sold my GT350 to get the ZL1. I liked the car and the exhaust note, but the engine and cooling problems on the Tech Pack I had made me get rid of it. The ZL1 is the only Camaro that I would have gotten, because I wanted more power better quality and it wasn't Ford.

I liked the M3 better than the GT350 but it had more problems. The engine in the M3 was way smoother than the GT350 and went to redline faster.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I refused delivery on a GT350R and ended up purchasing a ZL1 1LE. The Chevrolet experience was so much better than the Ford experience. No regrets at all. I would never buy a Ford product in the future based on my experience with their dealerships and customer service.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
I refused delivery on a GT350R and ended up purchasing a ZL1 1LE. The Chevrolet experience was so much better than the Ford experience. No regrets at all. I would never buy a Ford product in the future based on my experience with their dealerships and customer service.
Same here, Ford Corporation, not the dealers, screwed me 3 times. The GT350 was the 3rd and final strike.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Same here, Ford Corporation, not the dealers, screwed me 3 times. The GT350 was the 3rd and final strike.
Just to be clear, I was referring to Ford Corporation's lack of customer service in addition to the dealership level of poor customer service. It's institutionalized as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
altjx

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Wow. Thanks a ton for all of the feedback guys. The ZL1 1LE looks really intimidating and I'd probably be staring at it if I saw it on the roads too, as much as I haven't been a Camaro fan in the past. I know the GT500 will be extremely nice, but I'm sure the ADMs are going to be through the roof.

Let ask you guys this -- does the ZL1 go through the ridiculous ADMs like the GT350s do? I wouldn't think so because the GT350s are a little bit more limited production right? One thing that would be cool is if I could pay sticker for a ZL1 1LE, but I'm not too sure that's going to be possible for awhile, lol.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. If I can, I might just end up sticking it out with the GT350 unless I can actually get a buyer to pay off the car, or close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Car View Post
i don't have my 1LE yet, but I can tell you quality issues plague everyone. Even my GT3 has them. All 2014 GT3s had their engines replaced by Porsche and a large number of 2015s. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it for you to deal with the problems. I'm keeping my love affair with my GT3 alive, but retiring it from track duty. The 1LE will replace it primarily due to cheaper parts costs.

Squeeling brakes are normal for track pads and learn to heel toe 🏎
Yeah that's one of the things that bother me the most. I had a '15 boosted mustang GT that I dumped about $32k into it within the first 6-7 months in mods and never had a single issue. Sold it and got a GT350 mostly because I wanted to experience having fun around the track and not have to worry about heavily modding it. I've put 28k miles on the car just the first year, about half of those experiencing issues though.

I wasn't really anticipating on having the car sit at the dealership given the lack of mods (just have full exhaust and a tune), but damn! Here I am with a one year old car sitting in the shop. 28k miles is a lot for one year, but for 4 warranty claims going on 5 in just a year and a month or two seems pretty excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfinadv View Post
Well for what its worth I came from a GT350. I am not going to bash the car it really was quite good. The exhaust note on the Shelby was much better than the ZL1. Interior much better on the ZL1, Looks wise I like the ZL1 better. I wanted a convertible so I made the switch. But u can't go wrong with either.
Gotcha. Thanks for the input man. Sounds like you would have kept the GT350 if there was a convertible option for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I sold my GT350 to get the ZL1. I liked the car and the exhaust note, but the engine and cooling problems on the Tech Pack I had made me get rid of it. The ZL1 is the only Camaro that I would have gotten, because I wanted more power better quality and it wasn't Ford.

I liked the M3 better than the GT350 but it had more problems. The engine in the M3 was way smoother than the GT350 and went to redline faster.
Yep, I've heard that a few times too around the forums. I kind of wish I could sell my GT350 and get a ZL1 at this point, but I may just take the advice here and just wait it out a little bit longer and see what goes on.

Quote:
Damn. How come you refused the delivery on the R? This is right as it got to you for delivery right?
altjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Damn. How come you refused the delivery on the R? This is right as it got to you for delivery right?
I refused delivery because of cracks in the tires from the cold. It was delivered on December 1st.

Yes, it was delivered and I refused to consummate the deal because of the cracked tires. I got my down payment back and walked.

I got my ZL1 1LE for more than $3k under MSRP.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #13
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Neither the GT350 nor ZL1 use carbon ceramic brakes. Rev-matching is pretty nice to have though.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Just to be clear, I was referring to Ford Corporation's lack of customer service in addition to the dealership level of poor customer service. It's institutionalized as far as I'm concerned.
I find that a lot of dealerships have an arrogant attitude when it comes to these cars. But some dealerships are really nice. The Ford dealership where I got my 15 GT from was a nice one. They were all polite and cordial. But it might be because my little brother was friends with the salesman and basically grew up with him.

Quote:
Wow. Thanks a ton for all of the feedback guys. The ZL1 1LE looks really intimidating and I'd probably be staring at it if I saw it on the roads too, as much as I haven't been a Camaro fan in the past. I know the GT500 will be extremely nice, but I'm sure the ADMs are going to be through the roof.

Let ask you guys this -- does the ZL1 go through the ridiculous ADMs like the GT350s do? I wouldn't think so because the GT350s are a little bit more limited production right? One thing that would be cool is if I could pay sticker for a ZL1 1LE, but I'm not too sure that's going to be possible for awhile, lol.
I would be surprised if anyone of us paid any ADMs on the ZL1. I think after the reports of the ADMs on the Hellcat and GT350 those of us who got ZL1s were not gonna follow suit. The first thing I asked my salesman when I got mine was if there were any dealership markups. I got mine at MSRP. And I got rebates as well. And I think some got theirs below MSRP too. So you shouldn't have an issue in that regard.

Quote:
Yeah that's one of the things that bother me the most. I had a '15 boosted mustang GT that I dumped about $32k into it within the first 6-7 months in mods and never had a single issue. Sold it and got a GT350 mostly because I wanted to experience having fun around the track and not have to worry about heavily modding it. I've put 28k miles on the car just the first year, about half of those experiencing issues though.

I wasn't really anticipating on having the car sit at the dealership given the lack of mods (just have full exhaust and a tune), but damn! Here I am with a one year old car sitting in the shop. 28k miles is a lot for one year, but for 4 warranty claims going on 5 in just a year and a month or two seems pretty excessive.

Yep, I've heard that a few times too around the forums. I kind of wish I could sell my GT350 and get a ZL1 at this point, but I may just take the advice here and just wait it out a little bit longer and see what goes on.
You should have kept the GT over getting the Shelby since you did all those mods to it. I would have kept it. And you must be having some really serious issues with your Shelby. I mean, if it's been in the shop this long then I wonder why they didn't lemon law it or just replace it. What exactly is going on with it?

And you can always just ditch the Shelby and get a ZL1. I think you'd really like it. It'll be like having the acceleration of your boosted GT along with better handling than your GT350 all in one trouble-free package that will look badass!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote