Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
7.22 in good weather, and me 4, Becky look your color.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Anything that creates downforce increases drag - including an airfoil/wing - by disrupting the airflow over and around a car plus it increases rolling friction (desirable for grip). It is always a trade off.

Are you comparing an airfoil vs a blade type spoiler on the rear of the car's body?
I agree... sorry Mr. W, I think your brain farted on that statement. No spoiler, higher speeds, less cornering ability. With spoiler, better cornering, slower top end speed.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #17

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Careful.....Careful.....That might not even be a ZL1 1LE....It could be a Z/28!!...Did anyone hear a supercharger whine??....lol....j/k!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, (if it is a ZL1), the older video with the crash must have happened before all the testing was done.....And yes I hope we get to know the lap times for this and the Vette soon....Perhaps the ZL1 1LE will even be the faster of the two!!....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Anything that creates downforce increases drag - including an airfoil/wing - by disrupting the airflow over and around a car plus it increases rolling friction (desirable for grip). It is always a trade off.

Are you comparing an airfoil vs a blade type spoiler on the rear of the car's body?
Yes. ^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I agree... sorry Mr. W, I think your brain farted on that statement. No spoiler, higher speeds, less cornering ability. With spoiler, better cornering, slower top end speed.
No, I didn't...I just didn't clarify...my apologies. In essence, what I was saying is that the airfloil/wing of the ZL1 1LE will generate downforce without resulting in as much drag as the blade spoilers on the Z/28, and Z06. They're about as efficient at creating drag as parachutes.

The TL/DR version:

"Spoilers", and "Wings" function differently from each other. They both can generate downforce, but they go about it differently.

A spoiler disrupts/redirects the airflow over the rear of the car to reduce lift, and in extreme cases, like NASCAR, increase air pressure to the point where it generates downforce. The C7 Z06/Z07 and Gen 5 Z/28 w/ wicker bill function this way.

A wing uses Bernoulli's principal to alter the flow of the air by using an airfoil and surface tension to create an area of high and low pressure on opposite sides of the structure. This differential in pressure creates a force known either as "lift", or "downforce", depending on the orientation of the airfoil/wing. (airplane vs. F1 car) The new ZL1 1LE and super-Vette will function this way.

Relative to each other, the wing is far more efficient at both creating downforce...and doing it without creating as much drag as a spoiler. That's what I meant to say.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #19
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
They were definitely pushing it at the first part of the video. So do the blinking hazards signal to other vehicles to "please get out of the way, this is a serious run" or something?
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yes. ^ This.

No, I didn't...I just didn't clarify...my apologies. In essence, what I was saying is that the airfloil/wing of the ZL1 1LE will generate downforce without resulting in as much drag as the blade spoilers on the Z/28, and Z06. They're about as efficient at creating drag as parachutes.

The TL/DR version:

"Spoilers", and "Wings" function differently from each other. They both can generate downforce, but they go about it differently.

A spoiler disrupts/redirects the airflow over the rear of the car to reduce lift, and in extreme cases, like NASCAR, increase air pressure to the point where it generates downforce. The C7 Z06/Z07 and Gen 5 Z/28 w/ wicker bill function this way.

A wing uses Bernoulli's principal to alter the flow of the air by using an airfoil and surface tension to create an area of high and low pressure on opposite sides of the structure. This differential in pressure creates a force known either as "lift", or "downforce", depending on the orientation of the airfoil/wing. (airplane vs. F1 car) The new ZL1 1LE and super-Vette will function this way.

Relative to each other, the wing is far more efficient at both creating downforce...and doing it without creating as much drag as a spoiler. That's what I meant to say.
Precisely. Airfoil vs Blade-type 'spoiler' are vastly different in disruptive airflow which will affect drag.

Thank you for clarifying your statement.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #21
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yes. ^ This.

The TL/DR version:

Ok, good. I feel better now.

FYI, I have a tendency to use the old word "spoiler" interchangeably with a wing. As you said, they do work differently. The "wing" has less drag.

Past Rides
Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
They were definitely pushing it at the first part of the video. So do the blinking hazards signal to other vehicles to "please get out of the way, this is a serious run" or something?
They don't go for timed runs when others are on track. There's a special closed-track session for manufacturer's to do that later in the day...

Quote:
Precisely. Airfoil vs Blade-type 'spoiler' are vastly different in disruptive airflow which will affect drag.

Thank you for clarifying your statement.
You bet. Sorry I didn't, originally. Typing too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Ok, good. I feel better now.

FYI, I have a tendency to use the old word "spoiler" interchangeably with a wing. As you said, they do work differently. The "wing" has less drag.
It's all good...as far as GM is concerned, they call it a "spoiler", too!

"T42: SPOILER DRAG, AIR FOIL"

Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Well that makes sense, it looks like other vehicles were on the track at one point and the hazards were on so just curious.

As much as I do really like the ZL1 1LE it sure does read as if it is going to be a very focused vehicle to be driving on the street for any length of time... Guess I'll wait until a few reviews are out first.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
As much as I do really like the ZL1 1LE it sure does read as if it is going to be a very focused vehicle to be driving on the street for any length of time... Guess I'll wait until a few reviews are out first.
I wonder if there will be reviews out before I take mine home...It'll be interesting if there are not.

The back seat doesn't fold down. The wing is enormous, as are the tires. The front splitter is low and protruding. And the suspension is rough as ever...

Besides that? It's a Camaro...that will have passed all the same internal validation tests as a Malibu...that's pretty amazing.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
So the Nurburgring is approx. x4.45 longer than the Milford proving grounds track (12.9 miles compared to 2.9 miles in length). The camaro team stated that the zl1 1le is 3 seconds a lap faster around Milford than the regular zl1. So if you assume that 3 second gap will multiply over the length of a racetrack, using the 4.45 multiplier, the zl1 1le would be 13.35 seconds faster than the zl1 at the 'ring. Meaning the zl1 1le lap time would be 7:16.25.

note: i know the track layout of the 'ring and milford are vastly different, so this probably isn't very accurate.... but i'm bored today =)
I do like your new math skills. I just use my old math skills, since I am an old fart.

Past Rides
Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #26
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0353 View Post
yea that's def snow
No, it's hail. You can hear it hitting the camera, and then you can see it bouncing off the track in the next shot.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #27
zipline

Drives: chevy
Is there anyone who would change their mind about a ZL1 purchase based on a reported "Ring Time"?
zipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #28
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipline View Post
Is there anyone who would change their mind about a ZL1 purchase based on a reported "Ring Time"?
Sure, if it ended up being a total slug. They built the hype with the 3 secs faster than... So, now it has to live up to that.