Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #7407
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Good points. In some areas of the US, power companies do provide incentives to install Level 2 chargers (irrespective of income) and some provide assistance (based on income ) to upgrade electrical circuits to accept the Level 2 charger, but those are few and far between. Since there will be ICE products available, that will essentially be a non-issue. Can’t or don’t want to pay for a circuit upgrade? Don’t. Get an ICE vehicle.

There is no doubt that the current population of BEV owners is skewed heavily to the higher end of the income curve. That’s true simply because of the range of product available on the market. As more “affordable” BEVs come to market, the curve will bend more towards normal. The Mustang Mach E and the Volkswagen ID.4 will be the first in that category to come to market soon. The Chevrolet Bolt EV is already in market and reasonably priced, but it has two strikes against it. For one, GM vehicles no longer qualify for the $7,500 tax credit, and two, its form factor (small B-Segment hatchback) is one that has never played well in the US market. VW ID.4 is a compact utility and will qualify for the tax credit, as will the Mustang Mach E. Those are the ones to watch in terms of demographics.
I'm truly against subsidized vehicle sales...what a disgrace.

Either way, agreed with this post, even though EV won't work well in my scenario. I'm still on Gordon Murray's outlook that as time progresses, so will the switch to Hydrogen with EVs being a stepping stone. From there, it's plausible that petrol ICE will die, and only EV and Hydrogen fuel cell will remain.

The argument against Hydrogen delivery infrastructure seems silly to me. There are plenty of places to get propane across NA - while the tanks wouldn't be useful, the sites already exist, many among gas stations.

Here is some valuable reading for those who think hydrogen is a bomb:

https://hydrogen.wsu.edu/2017/03/17/...hydrogen-fuel/

EDIT: Level 1 charging also won't work in my scenario. It's 20 miles in a single direction to the nearest town. Yes I love the country, and no I won't ever move into a city, lol.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #7408
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post

Either way, agreed with this post, even though EV won't work well in my scenario. I'm still on Gordon Murray's outlook that as time progresses, so will the switch to Hydrogen with EVs being a stepping stone. From there, it's plausible that petrol ICE will die, and only EV and Hydrogen fuel cell will remain.

The argument against Hydrogen delivery infrastructure seems silly to me. There are plenty of places to get propane across NA - while the tanks wouldn't be useful, the sites already exist, many among gas stations.

Here is some valuable reading for those who think hydrogen is a bomb:

https://hydrogen.wsu.edu/2017/03/17/...hydrogen-fuel/

EDIT: Level 1 charging also won't work in my scenario. It's 20 miles in a single direction to the nearest town. Yes I love the country, and no I won't ever move into a city, lol.
One of my consulting projects now is on how to deliver hydrogen from where it is formulated to where it will be delivered to the vehicle. Leading prospects include diesel powered tankers. Wish I was joking...can’t say more without potentially violating NDA. Nowhere near as simple as transporting propane. Cost for a distribution location (equivalent to a gas station or Tesla Supercharger location) is in the $2M range per location. Nothing simple about this. That’s why it ain’t here yet.

Hydrogen fuel cells have two advantages over BEV, and one of them is going away fast. Refuel time is on par with gasoline. That’s an advantage for now, but time required to recharge BEVs is getting lower and lower with each generation of battery tech development. The Mustang Mach E can deliver 60 miles of range in 10 minutes. Compared to a Level 1 charger that needs 10 hours to fully charge from empty. Now keep in mind that a typical BEV owner will rarely use a publicly available DC Fast Charger because they will start each morning with a full charge with more than 200 miles range. That will get most drivers through entire week, let alone a day. And for those for whom that is insufficient, there’s still ICE.

The other advantage is fuel cell vehicles tend to be less load sensitive than BEVs. Which makes it great for freight hauling and highway driving, while BEVs are better for light loads and urban / suburban duty cycles. In effect, FCEV is the “diesel” to BEV “gas”.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #7409

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It almost seems self-defeating for EVs to have it be common knowledge that the longer you wait, the EVs technology, charge-time, power, affordability, range distance and infrastructure will all be substantially improved. With ICE still being status quo, I would find it hard to justify jumping into the EV game anytime soon.

The longer you can wait, it seems, the more bang you will get for your buck. Early EV adodpters will likely have buyer's remorse in the not too distant future.

Even though you could say the same has always been true for ICE vehicles, it seems much more pronounced and obvious with EVs. Just sayin'...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #7410
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Exactly. Winners and losers should be chosen by the free market. Why does the government need to make EVs more attractive to the consumer? Line up your best offerings, compete against the rest, and win our business with a superior product.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #7411
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/202...cing-confirmed

GMSV plans providing speculation for 6th gen Camaro production to continue through 2026.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #7412
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
then there better be another face - and -butt lift factored in
Old 12-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #7413
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Some power upgrades too. They can’t keep it going with the ZL1 1LE still being the newest performance variant.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #7414
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Some power upgrades too. They can’t keep it going with the ZL1 1LE still being the newest performance variant.
World class performance and 650HP not enough?

They'll shuffle colors in and out, a few appearance packages, and it'll limp along in 3rd place until they're ready to introduce the EV. Extending the current car is the best we could hope for honestly. I hope it's true. And I hope i'm wrong and we get an ICE VSS-R Camaro.

In the meantime, buy 'em up folks.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost

Last edited by snizzle; 12-28-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #7415
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
then there better be another face - and -butt lift factored in
A real shame people aren't buying the 16 and up camaro. Absolutely insane performance cars. They definitely aren't lookers though. Mustangs are also ugly but sell for some reason.

It's stunning to me a relatively unchanged, mostly straight-line performer like the Chally sells like it does.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #7416
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
World class performance and 650HP not enough?

They'll shuffle colors in and out, a few appearance packages, and it'll limp along in 3rd place until they're ready to introduce the EV. Extending the current car is the best we could hope for honestly. I hope it's true. And I hope i'm wrong and we get an ICE VSS-R Camaro.

In the meantime, buy 'em up folks.
Obviously it’s not. People aren’t buying Camaros, no matter what lap times they put down.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #7417
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Obviously it’s not. People aren’t buying Camaros, no matter what lap times they put down.
So why would power upgrades improve the situation as you suggested?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 12-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #7418
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
The latest incarnation of modern Camaros, 5th Gen up, don`t look that good. Until the look is changed, people are not going to be accepting of this car, especially for new to the genre buyers.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #7419
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
The latest incarnation of modern Camaros, 5th Gen up, don`t look that good. Until the look is changed, people are not going to be accepting of this car, especially for new to the genre buyers.

I'm not sure the looks are as much an issue as practicality, visibility, daily driveability.

Visibility is terrible compared to competition.

Practicality is terrible compared to competition.

Competition here would be similar coupes - Audi A5/S5, BMW 2/4, Mercedes C/E coupes, Mustang, Challenger.

I love my camaro and the feel but you are sacrificing compared to almost any competition that is similarly affordable.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #7420
snizzle
Recalled user

Do people really care about practicality or visibility on a car in this segment? I don't. The 5th gen wasn't practical in any way. But if performance isn't the problem (it's not) relative to the competition, and it looks the part (subjective), then I guess you could be onto something. This car does what it was built to do, in many cases better than the competition, but it's not enough. When Chevy is doing the autopsy in the next few years, they'll have to figure it out for the Camaro EV because they're likely going to lose the traditional muscle car guy/gal.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost