Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Zee_Ohh

Drives: truck
18” wheels?

Will the ZL1 and ZLE fit 18’s? I would be interested in running 18’s on the street as well as being able to use them on wet track days, then have ZLE wheels for dry track days.
Zee_Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
You have it backwards... Use 18's for the awesome selection of track rubber, and use the ZLE wheels for daily use
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
You have it backwards... Use 18's for the awesome selection of track rubber, and use the ZLE wheels for daily use
18" wheels with taller rubber would be perfect for some of the bad roads out there. Potholes, ruts, etc....
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Zee_Ohh

Drives: truck
I’d like to run 18’s for the ride quality. Also a little sidewall helps in the rain.
Zee_Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee_Ohh View Post
Will the ZL1 and ZLE fit 18’s? I would be interested in running 18’s on the street as well as being able to use them on wet track days, then have ZLE wheels for dry track days.
In short, forged options will fit. Flow formed/rotary formed options will be hit or miss because of the extra material required on the back of the wheel. That being said, there are still a few things to consider:

If you do not plan on running a ton of camber: 18x11 +11 and 18x12 +41 will work just fine
If you plan on running ~3.0 deg of camber: 18x11 +8 and 18x12 +41 (this is what I have and I have not had any issues with the front wheel rubbing on the strut, even under track loads)

In either case, the barrel of the front wheel is extremely close to the outside of the caliper. It is so tight that marbles from the track will get caught and smear around the inside of the barrel. I didn't see this as a deal breaker, just something to be mindful of.

EDIT: This is on a ZL1 1LE. I have not test fit on a ZL1 so I can't speak to any issues you might have there. The strut is quite a bit larger on the base ZL1.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Having gone down that road, I actually find the track tire selection to be LESS with 18's. I've since gone back to 19's.

Wheels will be slightly different specs for ZL1 and ZLE, which do you have? Because the strut is different, clearance plays a factor along with camber between the two cars.