Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
zl1 vs ss + boost

Based on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
I find myself in the exact same position deciding which to go with and if it’s worth it. Shop offered these prices for the kits installed (would still have to pay for custom tuning).

Lt4 SC - $7500
Whipple or Maggie 2300 - $8959
Procharger d1 with stage 2 IC and upgraded valve - $8500.

Since I’m only looking for 550whp, I’m wondering if it is better to just use that money to eat some of the depreciation in my car and move to a ZL1.
You don't need a d1 a p1x can do it even a p1sc can do it. I would not consider any supercharger that did not have tuning built-in to the price.

I don't know about your finances, but my 1SS to a Zl1 was 28K... I figure I'm 12K into mods which I could sell for dunno 6k. Net I would be 6 K over 3 years... so far this has been one of my "cheaper" cars to build. Of course, labor would have been dollars but this is a hobby for me.

I would suggest blower of your choice, tune, and at least front cat deletes as the minimum that you should price. I would agree that base centri will need a converter if you intended to drag race and be competitive.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
oldman

I did want to make a comment on my current build. The car is 3.5 years old now and the C8 is coming out. I have to think about what my options are. I have a two car garage that actually fits two cars. Do I want to raise the roof and make it 3 or 4, or do I expand and raise it to take 5 to 6? Or I just live with 2 cars and park the daily drivers in the Texas sun. That said if I do something like a C8, I really probably don't need the Camaro and it will be taking up driveway space... hard decision as this will be the last manual I'll buy.

So now that it was time to put the engine together I figure I better build it so I can sell.
1) selected 11.5 forged as I can sell the car sans supercharger
2) selected a cam with slightly small LSA at 116 as it makes for a better NA cam
3) did NOT upgrade to my planned 2" headers
This way I could releativly quickly put the car to NA to sell:
Ported IM and TB
Tuned on E85
primary cat deletes stock headers
ported head
pretty big cam with "defined lope", good springs, lifters and push rods
11.5 CR

I can sell a bunch of stuff for good $$$$

How much more is my SS worth with a built engine??? Probably not much say $2000 for grins over a stock SS. Minus all the stuff I can sell: headers, cats, supercharger kit, MSD, 103mm TB. I figure I'm out 6K on the performance stuff give or take.

The SS I paid 32K out the door have the receipts thank god for the GM card and the faculty discount on the SS and $1000 for a come back buyer. I figure the car is worth dunno 25K. So all in 13K for 3.5 years.. not bad. I'm pretty sure I would have spend way more on a Zl1 - resale even if I could keep it stock. This is a WAY bigger loss than my supercharge Challenger BTW.

Needless to say, 25K as it sits, it is not a big deal for me to keep it, garage space notwithstanding.

If I could not do my own labor, I think the price factor changes dramatically. I would look at a tuned supercharger kit, LT4 fuel upgrade, E85, front cat deletes. When it was time to sell. I would sell it: tuned, E85, front cat deletes.

Thanks for listening.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Oldman I am in the same boat right now. The C8 is calling my name, I am gonna wait to see what the C8GS and the C8Z end up like pricing wise. Then decide to sell my 17 SS 1LE that is Procharged at that point.

At the minimum it will be 3 years before I make that jump depending on the market and prices.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
oldman

I never really was a vette guy, but with my now permanent traction issues, I think the writing is on the wall. Plus the m6 was never the performance trans (I had some small hope).
Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
oldman

As an update I decided to go with the top Manley proflow sever duty valves. I did not go for the inconel ex. At my lift and power levels I think i”m OK. I figUre the stock valves were a weak point. Now will the engine go 100k miles? Dunno

Makes for a good read.

http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/cat/valves.pdf

Last edited by oldman; 08-23-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Oldman I am in the same boat right now. The C8 is calling my name, I am gonna wait to see what the C8GS and the C8Z end up like pricing wise. Then decide to sell my 17 SS 1LE that is Procharged at that point.

At the minimum it will be 3 years before I make that jump depending on the market and prices.
The Vette is an entirely different type of car...I am pairing my my Wicked SS vert with the Wicked C7 stingray and waiting to add a C8. I want to think that the Camaro and C7 are modified (and bad ass), but the C8 will stay stock.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
but the C8 will stay stock.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
So on Friday I got out of the ss1LE and got into a zl1 spd.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
oldman

so I guess your username is correct then. Now can you resist modding the Zl1?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
So on Friday I got out of the ss1LE and got into a zl1 spd.
Congrats. Enjoy it. Now you can start modifying the Z to keep up with the SS cars...gotta get rid of the hideous cam, but the bottom end is already forged which is awesome.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
sal11585

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2ss Nightfall Gray
Good decision on trading for the zl1 instead of modding. Granted I love my car; I could have easily got a zl1 after all the mods. After supercharger, headers, install, tune, and wheels. You easily would have spent 15k on the ss and still not even have an upgraded fuel system. Then again if I bought a Zl1, I might have thrown that much money into it anyway lol
Full paint correction with cquartz finest ceramic coating
Whipple 2.9
ARH Long tube headers with High flow cats
1le sway bars F&R
BMR Upper and lower trailing arms
Hurst short throw shifter
sal11585 is offline   Reply With Quote