Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #71
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Thank you for the reply Can'tHave2MuchHP! You provide a very unique perspective and I very much value your input. Please don't think I've taken anything you've said personally.

I'm happy to hear that you treat your customers with much greater care than I'm receiving and hearing this and hopefully not too many others will help improve your business as well as mine.

I am dealing with the "Corvette" or "Red Team" service writer.

I do have no question the best technician is fixing the car, that I have always been grateful for. He seems like a really good guy and I'm sorry he's caught in the middle of this, probably being pulled in 1,000 different directions.

I do understand what you're saying about having to sell the car and no one wants miles on a new car, particularly this breed of car.

What can I say, I wish you guys were the ones fixing the car. It sounds like you run a tight ship!
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #72
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Simply not how it works. For any customer with an open RO that is being given a loaner, the vehicle must be in the GM DRAC pool to qualify for protection, reimbursement, etc.

Also, you cannot just get in and drive one of the managers demos. Those are a different class of vehicles. GM doesn't reimburse for demos, that's a pure loss for dealers. You cannot drive with their dealer plate on, you aren't insured as you're not a "significant employee of the establishment" (this is with the typical insurance most dealer plates carry, at least here in MI).

Long and short of it is, what you said isn't possible. I wish it was.

If you have had a dealer do this for you, they were taking a risk, and in some cases it wasn't even legal.
True, if the dealer wants to play by GM rules and not conduct themselves as an independent business. We have 12 dealerships in the PNW in our extended family (across several brands), so I know very well there are many ways around this gentleman's transportation snafu. Loyalty is for the customers benefit, not the nameplate.

If their insurance policies don't extend to his use of one of their units, his comprehensive policy most certainly does.

Notwithstanding, they can easily put him into some extended test drives on various vehicles, especially used ones. Even a few 48-hour test drives would cover his gap (we hope his car is done soon).

Ultimately they could even work with him on a sales order for something from their used lot and side/backup-contract a two paragraph tear-up agreement for when his vehicle work is completed (5 minutes max with the right F&I guy and their used sales manager).

Many ways around the red tape you describe...and I'm sure you can think of a few I'm not even mentioning. It's about doing what is right. They won't lose money AND they get to do what is right by someone. It would be pretty easy for him to demonstrate his auto policy covers loaners/rentals under his operation.

A week or two with creative solutions would equate to a lifetime customer + some serious referrals & word-of-mouth...far less expensive (and much more effective) than commercials and direct mail.

All good though, all dealerships have different strokes/businesses/cultures/goals. Just knowing the dealer can do things, and won't, is very annoying for those who know all of the ways they could help, and don't.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #73
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
Thank you for this explanation!

I too was thinking the oil as an issue in this case. I would imagine GM would hang their hats on if the letter of manual on this particular issue and issues like it. Its very clear that the car needs to be tracked with specific oil and maintenance schedules etc followed. At least to me it is.

(One of the reasons I let dealerships, with mine the one I bought it from, maintain my car for the duration of the warranty period. No question about who did what and when.)

Its honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw the pics and read you tracked the car before reading any further.

I hope that's not the case and you the OP, get your car back repaired and you can move on from this.

BOOM couldn't agree more with Snakebt6 ...I also have a solid relationship with my dealer. All work is done by them while under warranty. Should something happen on the street or track because of the service history, it makes it a lot easier for them to work on your behalf.

As others have suggested I would take the money and run...
Old 08-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #74
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kraut View Post
Thank you for the reply Can'tHave2MuchHP! You provide a very unique perspective and I very much value your input. Please don't think I've taken anything you've said personally.

I'm happy to hear that you treat your customers with much greater care than I'm receiving and hearing this and hopefully not too many others will help improve your business as well as mine.

I am dealing with the "Corvette" or "Red Team" service writer.

I do have no question the best technician is fixing the car, that I have always been grateful for. He seems like a really good guy and I'm sorry he's caught in the middle of this, probably being pulled in 1,000 different directions.

I do understand what you're saying about having to sell the car and no one wants miles on a new car, particularly this breed of car.

What can I say, I wish you guys were the ones fixing the car. It sounds like you run a tight ship!
Keep us updated on how it's going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
True, if the dealer wants to play by GM rules and not conduct themselves as an independent business. We have 12 dealerships in the PNW in our extended family (across several brands), so I know very well there are many ways around this gentleman's transportation snafu. Loyalty is for the customers benefit, not the nameplate.

If their insurance policies don't extend to his use of one of their units, his comprehensive policy most certainly does.

Notwithstanding, they can easily put him into some extended test drives on various vehicles, especially used ones. Even a few 48-hour test drives would cover his gap (we hope his car is done soon).

Ultimately they could even work with him on a sales order for something from their used lot and side/backup-contract a two paragraph tear-up agreement for when his vehicle work is completed (5 minutes max with the right F&I guy and their used sales manager).

Many ways around the red tape you describe...and I'm sure you can think of a few I'm not even mentioning. It's about doing what is right. They won't lose money AND they get to do what is right by someone. It would be pretty easy for him to demonstrate his auto policy covers loaners/rentals under his operation.

A week or two with creative solutions would equate to a lifetime customer + some serious referrals & word-of-mouth...far less expensive (and much more effective) than commercials and direct mail.

All good though, all dealerships have different strokes/businesses/cultures/goals. Just knowing the dealer can do things, and won't, is very annoying for those who know all of the ways they could help, and don't.
Well, all true and fair points. Don't expect it often, but it's all based around who you know. No truer words could be spoken.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #75
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Dude, run! Out of NY and away from that miserable dealership! Take the lemon law money. Find yourself a deserving dealer that will respect you as human first, and then an customer.
I gotta tell you, I've have owned numerous BMWs and still do, but the Chevy dealer I had prior to relocating was the best service I've ever experienced with any brand vehicle. Just find one and stick with it.
And yes, sorry for your horrific experience, this kinda stuff should never happen to anyone.
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #76
441bertre

Drives: 1998 SS, 2018 1LE
I worked in a dealership for only a short time but I'm still shocked at some of the horror stories that get told through the forum. Many times I would turn in a "customer pay" repair order to the service writers only to have them give it back to me because they found it was now covered under warranty (manufacture's or aftermarket). We even had a customer that purchased a C7 (not even a Z06) when they first came out in 2014, flat out abused it every weekend at the track, would bring it to us the following Monday broken and no matter how much the technician was kicking and screaming that it shouldn't be repair under warranty, it was. I would definitely run from that dealership on the principal of their customer service alone.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it develops!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #77
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr View Post
I would save any correspondence from the douche you dealt with and forward them to GM Corporate. This is beyond unacceptable.
I'm sorry you had to go through this man.
Also paste his word for word response on yelp and and other sites that offer reviews.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #78
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I'd really want to know if the oil pump failed. It's a somewhat common issue on these early build LT4's, and they have gone through around 6 pump design revisions to where they seem to have gotten the issue resolved. Mine was built in April of 2017 so I know I may be on borrowed time and am holding out on modding the car until it fails.

Can you see if the tech still has the engine, and if he can inspect the oil pump? Usually the housing directly next to the pump gear cracks.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #79
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post

This is exactly what I had in mind! I guess I'm on the wrong coast for this one. I really didn't think it was a big deal and in my experience if you go out of your way even a little for a customer they never forget. This means referrals, more business, more money and this guy just has no clue I guess?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #80
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I'd really want to know if the oil pump failed. It's a somewhat common issue on these early build LT4's, and they have gone through around 6 pump design revisions to where they seem to have gotten the issue resolved. Mine was built in April of 2017 so I know I may be on borrowed time and am holding out on modding the car until it fails.

Can you see if the tech still has the engine, and if he can inspect the oil pump? Usually the housing directly next to the pump gear cracks.
I'm not sure as I'll ever find out, but I can certainly ask. I know they were a problem for sure in the pickups for a while with anything from 4.8's to 6.0's, but never saw an LT4 pump in person to see if they are similar or not.

I definitely plan on leaving reviews wherever I can. I'm still holding out some kind of hope that they will come to their senses and start kissing some serious ass to make the situation right, but it's unlikely based on how he blew up at me for no reason.

Again thanks for all of the advice. I will let you guys know how it all worked out for sure!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #81
ZL1Kraut

Update:

Car is still in pieces with no estimated time frame for the job to be completed. Apparently the parts are on backorder and the tech is on vacation this week. The car has now been out of service for 43 days.

They're half assing the entire thing and only putting a set of bearings and a crank in it. God only knows where various shards of metal made it throughout that engine and supercharger, but what do I know, I've only been doing this for 20 years. I was promised a long block and they're putting a band aid on the situation. SOMETHING caused those bearings to spin and simply putting a new crank in it isn't going to solve the problem long term.

At this point I've washed my hands of the situation and have hired an attorney. I feel sorry for the next person who will be getting this car, but I'm done. I couldn't be more disappointed. Thanks for the support, you guys have a great community here.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #82
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
I thought you said they had already approved a crate motor ?
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #83
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Your attorney is gonna have a field day with that mess! Sorry man, its a shame a bad dealer experience can ruin something so fun
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #84
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
You are not going to get a particular level of loaner car based on what type of vehicle you bring in. Dealers do not pull higher priced low volume cars off the lot to use as loaners. You are simply mistaken about that.
Agree. I wouldn't expect a Camaro and certainly not a Corvette as a loaner. Best case you MIGHT get one of those if one has been sitting on their used lot for awhile, but not one of the official loaner cars.

Having said that I did get a very loaded F150 ($60k or so) when I had my Focus RS in for warranty work... but that was a fluke and it wasn't one of their loaners, they just had a shitload of them laying around.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote