Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
Johnnysflooring

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Gray M6
Is a tune needed for headers/green cats?

Is a tune needed if headers and green or hi flow cats are added to stock cat back? Had a Borla system on order and am tired of waiting. Any advice would be great!
Johnnysflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Yes, i have that setup on my SS. Will throw s p0174 code
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Yes, i have that setup on my SS. Will throw s p0174 code
You have the Kooks "green cat" option? Because there's a difference between these and Kooks' standard cats or the cats that come with other header systems.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Johnnysflooring

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Gray M6
What’s the difference in the various cats? Do some not require the tune?
Johnnysflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
In theory, you can add long tubes with "green cats" and leave the rear O2 sensors on without throwing a code. I would still recommend tuning, but technically, you shouldn't have to to keep a CEL from coming up.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysflooring View Post
What’s the difference in the various cats? Do some not require the tune?
The "green" cats are a high quality cat made by GESI. In addition to being designed to handle lots of power, I believe they have more cells than a regular high flow cat. This means that they shouldn't throw any catalyst efficiency codes, and should smell less. Both are benefits as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
The "green" cats are a high quality cat made by GESI. In addition to being designed to handle lots of power, I believe they have more cells than a regular high flow cat. This means that they shouldn't throw any catalyst efficiency codes, and should smell less. Both are benefits as far as I'm concerned.
Don't think they make as much power as regular high flow cats. Minimal but just saying.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
Don't think they make as much power as regular high flow cats. Minimal but just saying.
I was saying they should hold up better as they're rated to handle quite a bit of power. Many high flow cats don't hold up to 600+ hp.

There could be a slight power difference, but it wouldn't be anything I'd worry about. The difference between catless and a typical 200 cell high flow cat is almost negligible from the tests I've seen.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
A modified LT4/LS9/LSA will chew through high flow and green cats no problem. I've seen it done and it's not a matter of if, but when. Usually you can just say that "Well, I'll replace them every 500 miles" but if they melt and you keep driving it, especially if you track/drag race or just spirited driving, you'll send all the crap that's in the cats all through your exhaust...And now you're in it for new cats and a new cat back.

I originally didn't like the idea of catless, I thought it was too loud and unnecessary. I recommended high flows to a buddy with a ZR1 and used to be a proponent for them on the Vette/Camaro5 forum, but then slowly but surely, guys I knew who went with high flows because they wanted to quiet it down or avoid any smell, melted their cats and at minimum they caught it early and got to replace just a $300+/- set of cats, but a lot of them had to buy $1000-$2000 cat backs too.

And green cats are hardly tougher if they even are than Kooks already high quality high flows. Don't get marketed into thinking you're buying a bomb proof cat.

As far as tuning...Sure you may just be able to get away with no codes, however that doesn't mean your car is running its best or even safely for that matter. Headers are going to drop engine back pressure, you'll likely run lean, especially at WOT. It's not just about ducking an engine code here.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Blackdevil77

Quote:
I was saying they should hold up better as they're rated to handle quite a bit of power. Many high flow cats don't hold up to 600+ hp.

There could be a slight power difference, but it wouldn't be anything I'd worry about. The difference between catless and a typical 200 cell high flow cat is almost negligible from the tests I've seen.
Not sure what the difference would be on a 600+ horsepower car, but on my LS3 powered Chevy SS, I made exactly 400 rwhp with the green cats or "Gesi" cats. Another Chevy SS with identical mods, except with no cats at all, tuned by the same tuner on the same dyno made 408 rwhp.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
A modified LT4/LS9/LSA will chew through high flow and green cats no problem. I've seen it done and it's not a matter of if, but when. Usually you can just say that "Well, I'll replace them every 500 miles" but if they melt and you keep driving it, especially if you track/drag race or just spirited driving, you'll send all the crap that's in the cats all through your exhaust...And now you're in it for new cats and a new cat back.

I originally didn't like the idea of catless, I thought it was too loud and unnecessary. I recommended high flows to a buddy with a ZR1 and used to be a proponent for them on the Vette/Camaro5 forum, but then slowly but surely, guys I knew who went with high flows because they wanted to quiet it down or avoid any smell, melted their cats and at minimum they caught it early and got to replace just a $300+/- set of cats, but a lot of them had to buy $1000-$2000 cat backs too.

And green cats are hardly tougher if they even are than Kooks already high quality high flows. Don't get marketed into thinking you're buying a bomb proof cat.

As far as tuning...Sure you may just be able to get away with no codes, however that doesn't mean your car is running its best or even safely for that matter. Headers are going to drop engine back pressure, you'll likely run lean, especially at WOT. It's not just about ducking an engine code here.
Agreed. I think one of the reason the factory tunes on these cars are so rich is to preserve the catalytic converters. As soon as you tune the car, lean up the AFR, the cats are gonna be enduring a bit more abuse.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Supercharged cars are BRUTAL on cats. An NA LS (short of race engines of course) engine wouldn't come close to replicating the abuse a supercharger gives to cats.

Quote:

High flow cats/green cats don't hold up period to 600+ RWHP. The differences between a high flow and catless is not negligible and I don't care what a scientific lab discovered. Put green cats on your car, pulley it and maybe cam it down the road, and you'll be coming back asking for catback recommendations in a few hundred miles.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Supercharged cars are BRUTAL on cats. An NA LS (short of race engines of course) engine wouldn't come close to replicating the abuse a supercharger gives to cats.

High flow cats/green cats don't hold up period to 600+ RWHP. The differences between a high flow and catless is not negligible and I don't care what a scientific lab discovered. Put green cats on your car, pulley it and maybe cam it down the road, and you'll be coming back asking for catback recommendations in a few hundred miles.
What cats do the Hellcats use? They make over 600 rwhp from factory, are they just doomed out of the box?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
What cats do the Hellcats use? They make over 600 rwhp from factory, are they just doomed out of the box?
Funny you should bring that up because the reason Dodge stopped at the power they did is because they were melting the cats no matter what they tried. You can look it up. They ended up backing off the power and upped the fuel to save the cats. Every kid with a Hellcat out there immediately does a "Cat delete" on them for a reason, and it picks up a ton of power with a tune because of the pressure.

And I do believe Hellcats eat a lot of cats. No pun intended.