Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
PS4S availability

Was going to buy new tires and my first choice is PS4S, but 285 30 20 is backordered...does anyone know when these might be available again?

I see that 295 30 20 is available. Does anyone run PS4S in this size up front, and if so, any issues? Any risk voiding warranty running the wrong size tire?
Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a 2753020 as i was lowered more in the front before 275 or 295 would fit fine
Old 03-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have a 2753020 as i was lowered more in the front before 275 or 295 would fit fine
Yeah, but OP has a ZL1 and this is the ZL1 section, so apples and oranges. But I was wondering the same thing.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
oh sorry i only have a peasant ss my bad lol its the same shit do it
Old 03-31-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I'm running into the same problem, no 285s to be found anywhere. Michelin says they are making them, but no one can get any. There are lots of 295s though, I just ordered two, it'll raise the front by .22", which is pretty nominal, but I'm not totally happy about it. You might be able to find some backstock by searching more, I couldn't find any with reasonable shipping, but they may have just been BSing the stock too.

I'm not sure what "warranty" you are referring to that you'd be voiding. Michelin says 10" is the minimum for that tire, so you'd be able to keep the tire warranty. Any car problems would have to be proven to be traced back to the tires by the manufacturer, to deny warranty.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I believe this back order is regional. They are available in the Midwest.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jb View Post
I enter zip codes from Midwest cities I’m familiar with in Tirerack’s system and I still get availability=Back order. Midwest is pretty big...can you narrow things down a bit please.
Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:45 PM   #8
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

They are backordered till early to mid May. I have a guy at TireRack that is working with Michelin and before the whole virus thing hit, their estimated get well date was 2 May.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 PM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
They are backordered till early to mid May. I have a guy at TireRack that is working with Michelin and before the whole virus thing hit, their estimated get well date was 2 May.
Which is funny, because I spoke directly with Michelin, and they claimed they were "entering production" and that I should keep checking. Well, I did, and they claimed then that they "were being produced", despite COVID, this was a few weeks back now. But I keep checking and no one can get any of them.

Something is up with this tire size I think, if this was truly something they were making for summer, you would figure that they'd be produced back in January or something, to be prepared and in stock for the summer demand, which starts in the spring. Likewise, I'd expect them to be making winter tires in July for the same reason. Talking with GM, which was just a few days ago, the parts guy called around to the regional distributors and GM HQ and his story was that this is a very rare tire size for Michelin and doesn't get produced in many numbers as a result, as opposed to 295 or 305. It really seemed like this guy was on the level with me and that he had called around. Whether the story he got is right is hard to verify, but there seem to be an excess amount of PSS in this size hanging out, which I learned is the old PS4s, before they improved it. For whatever reason, Michelin doesn't seem ready to move these tires for spring. Mid May is way too late, I'm ready to put my summers on in the next week or two. At this point, mid May might as well be forever, since no one knows what will happen now. Michelin said they were still producing, despite COVID, but I expect that everything will just take longer now.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Which is funny, because I spoke directly with Michelin, and they claimed they were "entering production" and that I should keep checking. Well, I did, and they claimed then that they "were being produced", despite COVID, this was a few weeks back now. But I keep checking and no one can get any of them.

Something is up with this tire size I think, if this was truly something they were making for summer, you would figure that they'd be produced back in January or something, to be prepared and in stock for the summer demand, which starts in the spring. Likewise, I'd expect them to be making winter tires in July for the same reason. Talking with GM, which was just a few days ago, the parts guy called around to the regional distributors and GM HQ and his story was that this is a very rare tire size for Michelin and doesn't get produced in many numbers as a result, as opposed to 295 or 305. It really seemed like this guy was on the level with me and that he had called around. Whether the story he got is right is hard to verify, but there seem to be an excess amount of PSS in this size hanging out, which I learned is the old PS4s, before they improved it. For whatever reason, Michelin doesn't seem ready to move these tires for spring. Mid May is way too late, I'm ready to put my summers on in the next week or two. At this point, mid May might as well be forever, since no one knows what will happen now. Michelin said they were still producing, despite COVID, but I expect that everything will just take longer now.
Talking with my insider, the 285 size and the 325 size got used up quicker then anticipated. There are a lot of new cars on the market that have gone to those sizes (Porsche, Ford, Chevy to name a few) that weren't using them before and they created a backlog. I try and run One Lap of America every year and the PS4S are the tire to go with for the event and all of us have been working with TireRack and Michelin since we were all in the same boat. Of course the Covid piece has added a new mix to the scenario now.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #11
~Jb

Well I was wrong and have no problem admitting it.

For my ZLE it turns out the fronts are available, rears are not. From what I am being told there was a decent sized 'phantom inventory' showing available in the midwest warehouses. I got a call today that the reality is 4-8 weeks from what Michelin is currently saying.

The Michelin rebate is good only if you buy before April 6th, so my tire shop offered me a deeper discount for the mistake and I I chose to leave my invoice open so I could get a set as soon as they available.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #12
jeffinstl

Drives: 17 ZL1 A10 vert, 20 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jb View Post
I live in St Louis and have unable to find 285/30/20 PS4S’s anywhere. DTD and TR both said availability would be late May. I just broke down and got MPSS’s instead.
jeffinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I priced several different sets of tires, Michelin, Continental and Goodyear yesterday for my ZL1 at the local dealership and all they could find was a complete set of F1 3s Supercar GY but had to be ordered and would be in sometime next week. I decided I would go back with the GYs for now since I need tires real bad as I don’t drive mine everyday!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Chevy dealership was actually cheaper on tires than 2 of the local tire shops here. Hard to believe but true in my case!