Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #29
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I drove on my original run flats for 2 winters with no problem. It was fun. Easily controlled wheel spin. At least in a manual. Plus make sure trac. control and stab. is always on and all your spins straighten you right up keeping you in full control. I wore mine down to the safety bars then replace with Cooper RS3 tires. I'm happy with those.
Ahem. BS about being in control. Stability control is kicking the end straight, but you are not in "full control". Rolling the dice for sure. You are stopping on snow and ice with summers? Really? Or are you stopping, starting and driving on surfaces that are warmed by solar radiation and above freezing, even though the air temp may be below? I've driven a lot of RWD cars in the ice and snow and there are definitely places where you aren't really having to "do it" due to the environmental conditions, even though it snows, and in others, it's just lunacy to drive rear wheel drive with this little weight over the rear axle. I don't care how good you are at feathering the clutch, you'll just spin the wheels on impacted ice trying to start uphill and you'll look like an idiot at an intersection. On one occasion, my AWD BMW saved my ass when starting a L/H turn at lighted intersection, start the turn, and car runs the red from out of nowhere, hits another car, which goes spinning towards my car, no way to anticipate all of this, and hitting the gas and getting the heck clear fast was the only thing that kept car B from plowing into me. There's just no way in hell with RWD on that surface. Don't fool yourself.

In any case, this is exactly one of those posts that I was referring to above...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 03-31-2020 at 11:52 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 AM   #30
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Ahem. BS about being in control. Stability control is kicking the end straight, but you are not in "full control". Rolling the dice for sure. You are stopping on snow and ice with summers? Really? Or are you stopping, starting and driving on surfaces that are warmed by solar radiation and above freezing, even though the air temp may be below? I've driven a lot of RWD cars in the ice and snow and there are definitely places where you aren't really having to "do it" due to the environmental conditions, even though it snows, and in others, it's just lunacy to drive rear wheel drive with this little weight over the rear axle. I don't care how good you are at feathering the clutch, you'll just spin the wheels on impacted ice trying to start uphill and you'll look like an idiot at an intersection. On one occasion, my AWD BMW saved my ass when starting a L/H turn at lighted intersection, start the turn, and car runs the red from out of nowhere, hits another car, which goes spinning towards my car, no way to anticipate all of this, and hitting the gas and getting the heck clear fast was the only thing that kept car B from plowing into me. There's just no way in hell with RWD on that surface. Don't fool yourself.

In any case, this is exactly one of those posts that I was referring to above...

I had no problem driving my runflats in winter. I was in control and felt confident in cold weather on dry pavement. I had absolutely no issue. No problem in rain either just can't drive aggressively. Absolutely useless in snow even with less than an inch. Driving a stick gives more overall control. If you are driving an automatic perhaps it makes you less confident.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #31
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
I had no problem driving my runflats in winter. I was in control and felt confident in cold weather on dry pavement. I had absolutely no issue. No problem in rain either just can't drive aggressively. Absolutely useless in snow even with less than an inch. Driving a stick gives more overall control. If you are driving an automatic perhaps it makes you less confident.
Where in the SW do you live again?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #32
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:

I said Winter driving, that doesn't necessarily mean driving in snow or ice. The car is not going to move in snow. I am referring to cold weather dry pavement.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #33
orange blaze
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I made 1 long trip with my oem run flats but no rain. When i drove around home and during rain i darn near lost it as i hydroplaned on the freeway. I have since replaced the tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS and very happy with them. Have a slime tire kit in the car. No worries.
orange blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #34
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I said Winter driving, that doesn't necessarily mean driving in snow or ice. The car is not going to move in snow. I am referring to cold weather dry pavement.
Typically, winter driving means in either fairly extreme cold, or snow and ice.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #35
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
I think it depends on where you live, no?

I think that is why they give °F/°C ratings. This is a big country and it has weather that is all over the map.

But I would tend to agree I would "assume" winter to be freezing with a chance of snow.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #36
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
I've driven on summer tires the past few "winters" but that's here in NC, where the average high in the coldest month is 50F. There are a few days each year that don't get above freezing, and if it's an otherwise nice day, I've been fine with just keeping in mind that I can't stop and turn quite as fast as a 70F day. If you drive it like people in crossovers drive, you'll be alright. It's the wet and 35F days that are sketchy.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #37
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
My BFG's are now basically shot. The rears are really gone and slippery under hard acceleration. Need to get new tires and am going to try the Michelin AS3 if I can find them for decent price.... Tire Choice store quoted me 1400$ .... thats way to steep.

I am in Naples FL 34102....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #38
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I've driven on summer tires the past few "winters" but that's here in NC, where the average high in the coldest month is 50F. There are a few days each year that don't get above freezing, and if it's an otherwise nice day, I've been fine with just keeping in mind that I can't stop and turn quite as fast as a 70F day. If you drive it like people in crossovers drive, you'll be alright. It's the wet and 35F days that are sketchy.
Yeah North Carolina don’t know winter. Any state south of the Mason-Dixon Line and west really don’t have winter.

You shut down when there’s 2 inches of snow lol
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #39
avalonandl

JUst ordered Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 + from Costco- they have a sale saved over 149$ total price installed is less than $ 1000. Quote from a local shop was almost 1400....

Of course they are not installed yet.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #40
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
JUst ordered Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 + from Costco- they have a sale saved over 149$ total price installed is less than $ 1000. Quote from a local shop was almost 1400....

Of course they are not installed yet.
I had mine installed at a discount tire, and after rebates it was just under $1000. I think that's the best deal that can be found on them.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #41
avalonandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I had mine installed at a discount tire, and after rebates it was just under $1000. I think that's the best deal that can be found on them.
I like Discount Tires, its just that I am stuck in Naples FL for a while and NO Discount Tire is close. I thought the price was darn good considierng. I need new tires B4 I can take the Camaro back to Michigan.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #42
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I'm still liking my General GMax AS-05.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote