Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #43
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
To fully enjoy a 650 HP beast like this you have to either 1) go to the track or 2) break the law in ways that put others on streets in danger.

I know many can find empty roads late at night that minimize risk, but a ZL1 at full throttle is still dangerous on any road that isn't designed for this--and only race track surfaces and the Autobahn are.

Very wise comment, People ask me all the time how fast have I been in my ZL1, I say maybe 105-110 mph in Mexico, Roads used to be great in Mexico, but pot holes, wild hogs, and narrow roads are dangerous, There use to be smooth asphalt roads. I have high horsepower bikes, and I can accelerate 2-3 times faster then the ZL1 ! So it gives me the true rush/fix I need, But I travel 30-40 miles out in the middle of no man lands just to have a little fun. I hit the dragstrip every now and then on the bike/ roadrace. I think a trip to Tail of the Dragon (And Barbara motorcycle museum)is in order next year for the ZL1 !

Last edited by Revalot; 03-24-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #44
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisintheCountryLife View Post
I feel the same. Although I don't daily...I do drive every chance I get. I've driven 8-10 hours straight on a couple different trips and its never exhausting. The ZLE literally does it all, looks, speed and handling. The tires aren't great for daily or a lot of street driving but tires are tires. I plan to wear them out and just get a little more streetable ones.
I agree 100% on the tires. I did change mine to the PS4S because of a few reasons.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #45
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
ZL1 if you aren't going to be on the track, ZLE if you are. I don't see the point in getting a track car for the road, but that's just me. My car will never see a track, so I don't need a stiff ride, dive planes, and 200 tread wear tires. My guess is that most people that track their cars are probably not going to be good enough to really take advantage of the differences anyway. If I did somehow end up on the track, I feel confident that my regular ZL1 would be all I need.
I believe the ZLE rides on 100 tread wear tires. The ZL1 and SS 1LE ride on 220 rated tires in stock form.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #46
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Correct. They are 100 treadwear. I also changed my rims and tires. Tires i also went with PS4S.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #47
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Correct. They are 100 treadwear. I also changed my rims and tires. Tires i also went with PS4S.
While I understand this change, doesn't this bring the ZLE much closer or inside of the handling limits of the ZL1 on GYSC3 tires? I know that my experience with the PS4S tires was not at all favorable at the track in my 2016 Camaro SS. Squishy sidewalls, quick to get hot and very greasy.

Just to be clear, you spend ~$7K more on the 1LE package and then add another ~$3K-$4K in new tires and wheels just to bring the performance back to ZL1 parameters and still have the harsher ride?
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #48
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
With no doubt... I take a ZL1 because of tires and suspension better to drive it everyday and everywhere or nearly...

And that a what I did... even the choice was difficult cause I love thé aero wing...
I also think there are no so Many différence between both packages...
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #49
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
With no doubt... I take a ZL1 because of tires and suspension better to drive it everyday and everywhere or nearly...

And that a what I did... even the choice was difficult cause I love thé aero wing...
I also think there are no so Many différence between both packages...
Track Cooling Package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Satin Black hood with carbon-fiber air extractor Larger front splitter and integrated dive planes Exposed weave carbon-fiber rear wing adds up to 300 lbs. of downforce Multimatic™ DSSV dampers with adjustable front ride height
Adjustable front camber plates and rear stabilizer bar Lightweight 19-inch forged-aluminum wheels and thats just off the top of my head. I know there is more.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #50
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Track Cooling Package with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Satin Black hood with carbon-fiber air extractor Larger front splitter and integrated dive planes Exposed weave carbon-fiber rear wing adds up to 300 lbs. of downforce Multimatic™ DSSV dampers with adjustable front ride height
Adjustable front camber plates and rear stabilizer bar Lightweight 19-inch forged-aluminum wheels and thats just off the top of my head. I know there is more.
ZL1 (non 1LE) has the track cooling package.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #51
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
While I understand this change, doesn't this bring the ZLE much closer or inside of the handling limits of the ZL1 on GYSC3 tires? I know that my experience with the PS4S tires was not at all favorable at the track in my 2016 Camaro SS. Squishy sidewalls, quick to get hot and very greasy.

Just to be clear, you spend ~$7K more on the 1LE package and then add another ~$3K-$4K in new tires and wheels just to bring the performance back to ZL1 parameters and still have the harsher ride?
I really like the ride actually. I get what your saying about the tires. But I have the factory rims and 3Rs set aside for track days. If I was looking for all out handling on the street I would put the factory rims and tires back on. Don’t get me wrong I drive the car pretty hard on the street at times. Not in traffic obviously. But it nowhere near warrants mounting the factory rims and tires.
When I purchased the car I knew I was getting the Z28 rims with the PS4S tires.
I was more than willing to spend that money.
I get what your saying though. And I agree that for some people the wiser move is to buy the ZL1. But why would I buy the ZL1 if I want a ZLE?
That to me doesn’t make sense.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #52
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post

All true.

I had a second set of OE wheels with PS4s at my house before the car arrived. I hardly ever run them because the 3Rs are amazing but if I do plan on a bit of street driving I'll save tread and run the PS4s but never at the track.

But you're right about paying 1LE price and then more to back it down to regular standards.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #53
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

But again. Can you go wrong with either one. I don’t think so myself.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #54
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
It's undoubtedly win/win
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #55
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
ZL1 (non 1LE) has the track cooling package.
Almost the 1LE allows 106 cubic feet more air per minute than a regular ZL1.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #56
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Almost the 1LE allows 106 cubic feet more air per minute than a regular ZL1.
All semantics...

I think for each of us we know the outcome we’re after, but some need to rationalize our desired endgame to satisfy our “gut”.

To the OP: both the ZL1 and the ZLE are truly brilliant cars, but this is a truly personal and emotional purchase. Make the choice you know you’ll get the most pleasure and peace of mind from, and be damned with the rest of us!

Enjoy the process, and relish in the fact that you’re privileged to be making such a choice! Good luck!