Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I don’t know. If that is a pic from the outside it looks like the metal is blown outward, not inward.
Right, that pic is the back side of the wheel. It looks like whatever he ran over went straight through the tire and pierced the wheel.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #16
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Right, that pic is the back side of the wheel. It looks like whatever he ran over went straight through the tire and pierced the wheel.
We are on the same page, everyone here. Some people refer to “inside” as toward the center of the rim. Others, like myself think of “Inside” as inside the tire or between the rim & tire.

Regardless, we see the contour of the rim & the outward/ inward spread of the metal as if something went from the outside of the tire through the rim.

I want to see the TIRE!!!

It had to have been massive damage.

I have never, in all my years, seen anything like this. It’s truly extraordinary. (Sorry OP) it looks like a m100 went off inside the tire.

This is really insane. I am trying to imagine how it would hit it with enough force to blow through the tire & then retain enough kinetic energy to pierce the rim with such velocity.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
A lot of guys (like me) have these stock wheels and sometimes sell as a single for a spare.
If none in Classified then make a "looking for" post and be specific.
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #18
VcrusaderV

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAtilidk View Post
I got off work at 2AM last night and on my drive in I hopped on the interstate as usual and could visibly see an accident off in the distance with one policemen responding, no EMT, and a few cars pulled off to the shoulder. I slowed down and merged to the fast lane. I was less than half a mile away from the accident when I hear what sounds like I ran over accident debris and a tire explosion. I pull over and inspect the rear passenger where I lost air pressure and see nothing out of the ordinary other than a flat. I did not have a spare so I drove it to the nearest Discount tire and parked it until 8AM this morning when they opened.

I went back to inspect the car and get the new tires ordered. Once they pulled the wheel off I was greeted with this bad boy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4uSPKHPLjEzVpke88

I proceeded to buy 4 tires to swap on a set of wheels I had been waiting to put on and also buy one more tire to put on the wheel once I get a replacement.

Does anyone know what my best option would be here to getting that wheel replaced? Can I contact a chevy dealer and would they be able to provide a replacement wheel at a discounted price? Could I contact my insurance and file a claim for any of this? So far, I've spent about $1200 roughly for tires + whatever I spend to find a replacement OEM wheel.

I forgot to mention that these are the stock '16 SS 5 spoke wheels.

EDIT: How do I post pictures on here?

Did you turn down the wheel insurance? Mines already paid for itself the first nail in my Goodyear.

2010 2SS Camaro (sold)
2010 ZL 427 Camaro (sold)
2012 ZL-1 Camaro (sold)
2018 ZL-1 Camaro
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #19
TBAtilidk

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS 6M HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VcrusaderV View Post
Did you turn down the wheel insurance? Mines already paid for itself the first nail in my Goodyear.
I had a certificate warranty that covered the Continental extreme that the wheel was wrapped in so I have a new tire, just no wheel until I'm able to get the car back within a day or two. Then I'll take the wheel + tire to Carl Black Chevrolet to let them take a look and talk about any following actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I want to see the TIRE!!!

It had to have been massive damage.

I have never, in all my years, seen anything like this. It’s truly extraordinary. (Sorry OP) it looks like a m100 went off inside the tire.

This is really insane. I am trying to imagine how it would hit it with enough force to blow through the tire & then retain enough kinetic energy to pierce the rim with such velocity.
For the tire, there was not extensive damage or anything that would leave your jaw dropped. Just show signs of a regular looking flat tire. It wasn't until we pulled the wheel off we could see what actually happened.

I instructed Discount Tire to leave the flat tire on the wheel so I could have a closer look at what happened and so could the dealership.
TBAtilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You can check car-part.com for a used OEM replacement wheel if there are no singles in the classifieds section here.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #21
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
A steel belted tire mau not show the damage but it transmitted the force to the wheel. Clearly the wheel was struck with force. It could have been a chunk of concrete.....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #22
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
A steel belted tire mau not show the damage but it transmitted the force to the wheel. Clearly the wheel was struck with force. It could have been a chunk of concrete.....
We’ll never know, but my years experience at Tires Plus back in the day I would lean towards a large chuck of metal. Maybe 4-6” long, 1-1.5” wide/diameter.

Had one that came in that had a 9/16” combo wrong jammed in a tire, entered from the box side of the wrench & only the open end was sticking out. In that instance if it was a very small cross section like ours, rather than a truck tire, it would have probably pierced the rim.

The fact it blew right through is crazy. If it hit longways during rotation & hitting the pavement jammed it up & through it would still be a magnificent thing to pierce clean through.

OP needs to contact his insurance agency for a replacement rim.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #23
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
have to have some cheap discount crap insurance for that not to be covered. you hit something that was in the road that damaged the car. its not normal wear and tear. just get a used take off wheel plenty around.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote