Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-20-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
ChevroletFan

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1
Will vinyl stripes stick to PPF?

I’m getting Suntek ceramic ppf installed tomorrow. I wanted to put hood spears on. Will they stick? The installer is concerned that they may not.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Here are my stripes over ppf, been on for 4 years.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 07:10 AM   #3
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletFan View Post
I’m getting Suntek ceramic ppf installed tomorrow. I wanted to put hood spears on. Will they stick? The installer is concerned that they may not.
Well silly question perhaps but why dont you put the hood spears on FIRST before the PPF so that it will protect the spears from damage as well???

DID you check out XPEL Ultimate PLUS PPF??? I have been testing that on my front spoiler under track conditions and it has held up VERY well. It is self healing. I am planning on putting some more on.

It also comes in a limited amount of colors and is 8 MIL thick. I will be using GLOSS black on mine.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-.../ultimate-plus
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
ChevroletFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Well silly question perhaps but why dont you put the hood spears on FIRST before the PPF so that it will protect the spears from damage as well???

DID you check out XPEL Ultimate PLUS PPF??? I have been testing that on my front spoiler under track conditions and it has held up VERY well. It is self healing. I am planning on putting some more on.

It also comes in a limited amount of colors and is 8 MIL thick. I will be using GLOSS black on mine.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-.../ultimate-plus
I thought of that. But there tends to be a thin line of air that gets trapped along vinyl under ppf. Plus I can change the stripes at will if they are on top. I’m getting Suntek Reaction - it is also self healing and has ceramic built in and a 12 year warranty.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #5
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
I thought of that. But there tends to be a thin line of air that gets trapped along vinyl under ppf. Plus I can change the stripes at will if they are on top. I’m getting Suntek Reaction - it is also self healing and has ceramic built in and a 12 year warranty.
Well good deal. I have heard of SUNTEK as well but I never used it myself.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
I’m getting Suntek Reaction - it is also self healing and has ceramic built in and a 12 year warranty.
Most self-healing films have a urethane base top layer. Urethanes have high surface energy (translation: they're "stickier" than clear coat) so vinyl adheres just fine.

The newer Suntek Reaction has a built-in hydrophobic topper, so worst case you could see some tucked-edge-peeling issues over time if the vinyl is stretched too much. Shouldn't be a big problem for just stripes, but I wouldn't try doing a full-car vinyl wrap an already PPF'd car.

So consider having Suntek Ultra installed on the panels where the stripes will be, and Reaction on the rest. Then you can DIY some Gtechniq EXO V4 on top ($100 bottle) and it will work just as well or better at beading water and shedding dust and dirt than the Reaction.

I have Suntek Ultra on my car (no stripes) with Gtechniq ceramic and hydrophobic coatings on top, installed when new. It's held up beautifully for 6 years. I still get "No way that's a 2017 it looks brand new!" comments! Totally worth the big $pend. I would do it again, without the ceramic but with the hydrophobic on top of the film (and vinyl in your case).

Make sure the PPF is cut over-size so edges are wrapped and tucked for minimum visible seams. Costs a bit more with the installer of course but the result is glorious.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
ChevroletFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Most self-healing films have a urethane base top layer. Urethanes have high surface energy (translation: they're "stickier" than clear coat) so vinyl adheres just fine.

The newer Suntek Reaction has a built-in hydrophobic topper, so worst case you could see some tucked-edge-peeling issues over time if the vinyl is stretched too much. Shouldn't be a big problem for just stripes, but I wouldn't try doing a full-car vinyl wrap an already PPF'd car.

So consider having Suntek Ultra installed on the panels where the stripes will be, and Reaction on the rest. Then you can DIY some Gtechniq EXO V4 on top ($100 bottle) and it will work just as well or better at beading water and shedding dust and dirt than the Reaction.

I have Suntek Ultra on my car (no stripes) with Gtechniq ceramic and hydrophobic coatings on top, installed when new. It's held up beautifully for 6 years. I still get "No way that's a 2017 it looks brand new!" comments! Totally worth the big $pend. I would do it again, without the ceramic but with the hydrophobic on top of the film (and vinyl in your case).

Make sure the PPF is cut over-size so edges are wrapped and tucked for minimum visible seams. Costs a bit more with the installer of course but the result is glorious.

Thanks for the input. He will be wrapping the edges on the hood. I considered getting ultra for the hood and reaction for the bumper and fenders. But he was out of ultra. But from the sounds of the replies up above, the stripes will stick fine. Even if they only last a year or two, they are only 75$