Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #15
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I would stick with what I have until the wheels fall off and either start on upgrades or save the money for a large down payment when you decide to upgrade cars...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:43 AM   #16

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
Some times, some TLC bring the enjoiment back. For the past couple of months I have been doing some TLC, to an old pick-up of mine and I feel I could put another 280K miles. You could do this until the mid-term 6th comes out with a redefined rear end. Hope this helps
Old 05-31-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
This one's a no brainer. It's really simple. Hold out until fall when the 17's go 20% off plus whatever GM throws at them to get 'em gone. Trade the Jeep in for a new Gen 6. It's a whole new car, lighter, tighter, faster. New car typically comes with lower interest rate if you're financing. You get the full warranty, maintenance, the works.

The best part of this is that you get to keep the old Camaro and with nothing but time on your hands, build it bit by bit into whatever you want. It's the best of both worlds really.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 AM   #18
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
I see only 2 options.
1 drive tell the wheels fall off and sell it as a parts car when its spent and save up for a newer gen 6 or a less miles gen 5

2 sell it and get a new toy and enjoy that

with 140,000 on the clock I would not really dump money in to horsepower mods you get a higher chance of pin pointing all the weak points and braking them. and the reliable DD is now a money pit.
but it is your money and life fallow what you want really want to do and in the end you will be happy. life is all about the simple pleasures
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #19
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
I see only 2 options.
1 drive tell the wheels fall off and sell it as a parts car when its spent and save up for a newer gen 6 or a less miles gen 5

2 sell it and get a new toy and enjoy that

with 140,000 on the clock I would not really dump money in to horsepower mods you get a higher chance of pin pointing all the weak points and braking them. and the reliable DD is now a money pit.
but it is your money and life fallow what you want really want to do and in the end you will be happy. life is all about the simple pleasures
And it's to damn short...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:00 AM   #20
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
If there are no dents, then just keep driving. You can detail out a lot of the paint issues. Its wise to not dump money into your car at this point, unless you have the parts or access to parts that are cost effective. If the body, suspension and components of the car are in good condition then you can still get good usage out of it.

140,000 miles is a lot, but if the car was well cared for then you can continue to get good and reliable service from it.

Weigh in all of your expenses (including anticipated cars in your horizon). If there is a car that you'd like to have one day then you should definitely save money and just focus on up-keeping your current car with necessary maintenance.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #21
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
I'd either keep the Camaro and mod it (leaning that way), or get the C7. Keep the hemi jeep either way.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
A lot of good insight.... and I do greatly appreciate it.

Seems like most people are on board with getting a '13.
On autotrader they are going for 21k-30k, averaging about 25k. Lets say I could get 10k out of mine, thats still 15k more out of pocket........ yeah, I would have the infotainment system... which would make me very happy....... but for 15k, I could fix my dents, repaint, add cosmetic mods and have quite the care........ then when the motor poops out, pull it apart and put a stroker kit on it.

I dont have the Hemi powered jeep anymore.... it died when a tree fell on it.
Now i have a 4 door wrangler that needs some work of its own.

Maybe i should sell the car and use some of the money to tweak the jeep a little, and then put the rest away and when the jeep is paid off (about 3 more years) take my savings and get one of the refreshed 6th Gen Camaros, ..... or maybe pick up a 3-4 year old C7 vette

It also doesnt help that I also have a harley that I would like to sell and upgrade to a different model harley.

I dont make enough money to have a custom jeep, custom bike, and custom car.
I gotta make a hard decision to either have all 3 but none very custom..... or consolidate down to just 2.
I cant get rid of the jeep, I need it because the dogs dont fit well in the car on trips and the car cant take me hunting and into my property in the woods.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #23
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
As a fellow IBM'er who also got my car in July '09, I would vote for keeping her. But you need to do what is best for your situation.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #24
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Drives: '89 IROC-Z
Unless you plan on keeping the car for decades, I would get rid of it now while it still has some value. Yeah you might only get $10-12k for it today, but you could find a nice low mileage '14-15 (or a '13 if you prefer) for $20-22k, and it would have 100k less miles on it. It's not like you're paying $10k "out of pocket" just to get some fancy options.

I would decide which toy means the most, and focus on that. For example, if you don't ride the Harley all the time, I wouldn't worry about upgrading yet. And if I were you, I would keep the Jeep stock and focus my attention on modding the "fun" car. But that's just me. It all depends on what you like.
2 Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #25
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Only $8-11k? That's ridiculous.

But honestly you're probably past the point of whats worth doing those major mods to. In my opinion anyway. I would sell the car and put it towards a new toy. Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth and memories out of it.
Why is that ridiculous? It sounds just about right to me. The car has over 140K miles on it. There are newer 2011 & 2012 2SS's with half as many miles for $18-19K all over Cars.com. I spent $22,500 for my 2SS/RS convertible with 6,000 miles on it with showroom new paint and interior.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #26
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Ok everybody..... I can't decide what I want to do, and I would truly appreciate some collective wisdom from you fine people.

I've got a 2010 IBM 2SS/RS that I've had since July '09 and.... well, she's getting old.

She has just under 140,000 miles, but will cross that mark before the end of June.
Almost bone stock, only mods are as follows:
2 12's in fiberglass enclosure, painted to match car.
Borla Stinger Catback exhaust.
LED footwell lighting.
blacked out blinkers, sidemarkers, and reverse lights.
Swapped the beige seats for a set of gray seats.
Tinted windows. 25% rear & brow strip, 30% sides.

That's it.

Still running strong, no mechanical troubles at all.

Paint has some scratches here and there and rock dings that would be expected for its age, and the paint is pealing off the wheels................ and then a deer jumped out and put a moderate dent into the passenger rear fender opening, just behind the gille slots.

SO here's the dilemma....

I love the car. It's still beautiful to me, and still gets compliments all the time.
I always wanted to put so much more into it. GFX, Heritage grille, new style SS emblems front and rear, painted stripes, aftermarket spoiler, rims, Hurst Shifter, and either headers, intake, and supercharger...... or twin turbo.
At this point though, for the price of all that, I could buy one used, already built..... and it would likely be newer, with HUD and other updates.

add to that, how impressive the technology is these days on the 6th gen.... the new tech is pretty tempting on its own.

I don't know what my car is worth...... KBB gives me $8,000 to $11,000 depending on condition.
That makes it seem like fixing the dent and repainting is already money I wont get back. . . much less to actually go and mod the car.

What should I do?

Say f*ck it, throw the money into it and build it up anyway? (it's my DD, so the paint will only get roughed up again over time)

Do I accept it as is, and ride it till the wheels fall off, then park it in a shed and break it back out when I'm old (only 30 right now) and build a hot rod

Do I turn my Jeep into my DD, and sell the car outright, put the money up and save towards a 6th gen, or used C7? (single, no kids, just 2 dogs).

Or do you have another suggestion?
If you love the car I'd spend the money to get it fixed up, maybe rebuild your motor with some high performance internals. Get a vehicle wrap for about a third of the price as a new paint job. There is a lot to be said for being the original owner of the car, you know how it's been treated and maintained, you know its true history. You could rebuild the motor to where it is easily making 550hp(or more), fix dents, wrap it, new suspension and tires for probably $10,000, it would be faster and nicer than a new Gen 6 SS and you would save yourself $30,000. That's what I would do.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
you are in luck! You have TIME! I would just casually look for an upgrade to a 13 and let your heart decide!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #28
Skirwin

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I am in the same boat. I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off and taking it off the road so I can rebuild it EXACTLY the way that I want. This is a car that I never plan to sell. Hopefully one day build a street car out of it. Mine is also my DD and same problems. Nothing mechanical (but much less miles - 2013 SS), my paint is SHOT, but a wrap one day will cover that up. I would go with accepting it the way it is. Save the money for now, if you truly are happy with it, and put it into a new DD when you need it, or save up for your hot rod build.

I love my car too much to ever get rid of it. It was my first real purchase when I got out of college and started a career. It means the world to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Ok everybody..... I can't decide what I want to do, and I would truly appreciate some collective wisdom from you fine people.

I've got a 2010 IBM 2SS/RS that I've had since July '09 and.... well, she's getting old.

She has just under 140,000 miles, but will cross that mark before the end of June.
Almost bone stock, only mods are as follows:
2 12's in fiberglass enclosure, painted to match car.
Borla Stinger Catback exhaust.
LED footwell lighting.
blacked out blinkers, sidemarkers, and reverse lights.
Swapped the beige seats for a set of gray seats.
Tinted windows. 25% rear & brow strip, 30% sides.

That's it.

Still running strong, no mechanical troubles at all.

Paint has some scratches here and there and rock dings that would be expected for its age, and the paint is pealing off the wheels................ and then a deer jumped out and put a moderate dent into the passenger rear fender opening, just behind the gille slots.

SO here's the dilemma....

I love the car. It's still beautiful to me, and still gets compliments all the time.
I always wanted to put so much more into it. GFX, Heritage grille, new style SS emblems front and rear, painted stripes, aftermarket spoiler, rims, Hurst Shifter, and either headers, intake, and supercharger...... or twin turbo.
At this point though, for the price of all that, I could buy one used, already built..... and it would likely be newer, with HUD and other updates.

add to that, how impressive the technology is these days on the 6th gen.... the new tech is pretty tempting on its own.

I don't know what my car is worth...... KBB gives me $8,000 to $11,000 depending on condition.
That makes it seem like fixing the dent and repainting is already money I wont get back. . . much less to actually go and mod the car.

What should I do?

Say f*ck it, throw the money into it and build it up anyway? (it's my DD, so the paint will only get roughed up again over time)

Do I accept it as is, and ride it till the wheels fall off, then park it in a shed and break it back out when I'm old (only 30 right now) and build a hot rod

Do I turn my Jeep into my DD, and sell the car outright, put the money up and save towards a 6th gen, or used C7? (single, no kids, just 2 dogs).

Or do you have another suggestion?

Skirwin is offline   Reply With Quote