Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Please Help. I need your wisdom.

Ok everybody..... I can't decide what I want to do, and I would truly appreciate some collective wisdom from you fine people.

I've got a 2010 IBM 2SS/RS that I've had since July '09 and.... well, she's getting old.

She has just under 140,000 miles, but will cross that mark before the end of June.
Almost bone stock, only mods are as follows:
2 12's in fiberglass enclosure, painted to match car.
Borla Stinger Catback exhaust.
LED footwell lighting.
blacked out blinkers, sidemarkers, and reverse lights.
Swapped the beige seats for a set of gray seats.
Tinted windows. 25% rear & brow strip, 30% sides.

That's it.

Still running strong, no mechanical troubles at all.

Paint has some scratches here and there and rock dings that would be expected for its age, and the paint is pealing off the wheels................ and then a deer jumped out and put a moderate dent into the passenger rear fender opening, just behind the gille slots.

SO here's the dilemma....

I love the car. It's still beautiful to me, and still gets compliments all the time.
I always wanted to put so much more into it. GFX, Heritage grille, new style SS emblems front and rear, painted stripes, aftermarket spoiler, rims, Hurst Shifter, and either headers, intake, and supercharger...... or twin turbo.
At this point though, for the price of all that, I could buy one used, already built..... and it would likely be newer, with HUD and other updates.

add to that, how impressive the technology is these days on the 6th gen.... the new tech is pretty tempting on its own.

I don't know what my car is worth...... KBB gives me $8,000 to $11,000 depending on condition.
That makes it seem like fixing the dent and repainting is already money I wont get back. . . much less to actually go and mod the car.

What should I do?

Say f*ck it, throw the money into it and build it up anyway? (it's my DD, so the paint will only get roughed up again over time)

Do I accept it as is, and ride it till the wheels fall off, then park it in a shed and break it back out when I'm old (only 30 right now) and build a hot rod

Do I turn my Jeep into my DD, and sell the car outright, put the money up and save towards a 6th gen, or used C7? (single, no kids, just 2 dogs).

Or do you have another suggestion?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Only $8-11k? That's ridiculous.

But honestly you're probably past the point of whats worth doing those major mods to. In my opinion anyway. I would sell the car and put it towards a new toy. Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth and memories out of it.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Sounds like YOU have a tuff decision. I own a two owner 07 F150 with 123 k. I bought it with 115k. It was well maintained and I treat my vehicles the same. I wouldn't trade it for the world! It runs like new. Times have changed. ..things are built better and last longer.
If I were in your shoes. ....I'd throw on a set of headers, get it tuned, paint my wheels, fix my dent, buff my paint and enjoy.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I'm about to hit 110k, and after all I've done to it, I could not bare to see it go. We've bonded something nice, and if (or better yet, when) this engine goes, it will see a new upgrade for sure. Mine will be a garage queen probably one day should I ever plan on getting something new.

If I were in your position, however, I would part with the 2010 and find yourself a nice 12 or 13 5th gen to build. Clean slate. You're right, less miles, more goodies, and you've hardly modded what you have now... makes sense to move on to a newer model.

I would not get a 6th gen, a nice 5th gen is the ticket... perhaps even a nice used ZL1 if you're willing to spend a bit more.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Tha Snowman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I agree, get a 13' and build upon that.
Tha Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
My vote is for the 13 also
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Snowman View Post
I agree, get a 13' and build upon that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
My vote is for the 13 also

I agree with these guys.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
My 2010 is going bye bye in 2019. I'm trading for a Gen 6 at that time.

By then, the hoses and belts will be toast and the electronics will be on borrowed time.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
2013 is the sweet spot for Camaro, last year for the cool tail lights & 1st yr for Infotainment system.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #10
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Sounds like YOU have a tuff decision. I own a two owner 07 F150 with 123 k. I bought it with 115k. It was well maintained and I treat my vehicles the same. I wouldn't trade it for the world! It runs like new. Times have changed. ..things are built better and last longer.
If I were in your shoes. ....I'd throw on a set of headers, get it tuned, paint my wheels, fix my dent, buff my paint and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I'm about to hit 110k, and after all I've done to it, I could not bare to see it go. We've bonded something nice, and if (or better yet, when) this engine goes, it will see a new upgrade for sure. Mine will be a garage queen probably one day should I ever plan on getting something new.

If I were in your position, however, I would part with the 2010 and find yourself a nice 12 or 13 5th gen to build. Clean slate. You're right, less miles, more goodies, and you've hardly modded what you have now... makes sense to move on to a newer model.

I would not get a 6th gen, a nice 5th gen is the ticket... perhaps even a nice used ZL1 if you're willing to spend a bit more.
^+1 I'm with these guys.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Go zl1 for the indestructible transmission, driveshaft and rear diff and axles. Then go all out on the motor to hit 650whp+ and let her eat

DO IT FOR DALE!!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #12
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Only $8-11k? That's ridiculous.

But honestly you're probably past the point of whats worth doing those major mods to. In my opinion anyway. I would sell the car and put it towards a new toy. Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth and memories out of it.
+1 and I will say the 2013 is a beautiful car if you're going to stick with 5th gen but at least go and test drive a 6th gen it's very nice as well
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Let your budget and your heart guide you. It's a car, they come and go. If you're being practical, keep it and continue to enjoy it. If you can afford another, newer ride, go for it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I'll double down on getting a '13
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote