Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Catch can for Whipple

I am FINALLY (sorry Ted, it has taken way too long) ready to pull the trigger on my Whipple setup and I need to order a catch can. I realize that there are pros and cons to the various manufacturers but is there real difference in the ability to filter the blow by? In the past I would looked to Moroso but I haven’t seen a 6th gen specific can from them yet. Is the Mishimoto can priced lower for a reason? Also, have any of you with a Whipple found one product a better fit than another?
Jfmoore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
I am FINALLY (sorry Ted, it has taken way too long) ready to pull the trigger on my Whipple setup and I need to order a catch can. I realize that there are pros and cons to the various manufacturers but is there real difference in the ability to filter the blow by? In the past I would looked to Moroso but I haven’t seen a 6th gen specific can from them yet. Is the Mishimoto can priced lower for a reason? Also, have any of you with a Whipple found one product a better fit than another?
I have the Mishimoto one installed with my Whipple. I can not comment on how effective it is since I am getting my car back this week from the tuner. I ended up slotting the mounting bracket holes and made it fit in the stock location, swinging it towards the firewall. I did have it installed prior to the Whipple and it certainly was effective, it would catch a teaspoon or 2 between oil changes.

The mighty mouse can seems to be more robust and perhaps better suited for forced induction.

Stock: 416hp/427tq, 12.21 @ 116.80

Modified 02/2019: Whipple SC w/ 3.500 pulley, LT4 fueling, NW 103 TB, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Kooks 2" jet coated, full Borla ATAK exhaust, DSS axles, Gforce driveshaft.

Tuned by EFX Tuning 688hp/632tq

Best 1/4 to date: 10.705 @ 131.92
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Jfmoore79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhunsberger View Post
I have the Mishimoto one installed with my Whipple. I can not comment on how effective it is since I am getting my car back this week from the tuner. I ended up slotting the mounting bracket holes and made it fit in the stock location, swinging it towards the firewall. I did have it installed prior to the Whipple and it certainly was effective, it would catch a teaspoon or 2 between oil changes.

The mighty mouse can seems to be more robust and perhaps better suited for forced induction.
Thanks. I will look a little closer at their product as well.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhunsberger View Post

Do you have any pictures? I removed the Mishimoto when I installed the Whipple (just this past week) and would love to reinstall it.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Jhunsberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Do you have any pictures? I removed the Mishimoto when I installed the Whipple (just this past week) and would love to reinstall it.
Just this over all pic, same basic position, I slotted the original mounting holes in the bracket to allow it to fit behind the whipple coolant fill.
Attached Images

Modified 02/2019: Whipple SC w/ 3.500 pulley, LT4 fueling, NW 103 TB, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Kooks 2" jet coated, full Borla ATAK exhaust, DSS axles, Gforce driveshaft.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Jhunsberger

The hose that goes form the can to the PCV nipple in the valley under the whipple was a PITA to get on. i swapped out the mishimoto straight fitting for a 90 deg from the whipple kit, and i still had to loosen the SC up and lift the front up to sneak the fitting onto the straight nipple, then re-torque the SC bolts. I seen that the maggie moves that straight valley fitting to the plugged port so it point forward, but whipple does not.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We have the properly designed system for the Whipple and the Gen6 6.2 LT engine.

It is the most effective on the market period as far as trapping approximately 95% of what enters VS the others you mention trapping less than 1/2 of that. It is also made for forced induction and retains a closed emissions compliant system except in CA.

Depending on the amount of boost you want our E2-X or E2-X Ultra.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Jfmoore79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
We have the properly designed system for the Whipple and the Gen6 6.2 LT engine.

It is the most effective on the market period as far as trapping approximately 95% of what enters VS the others you mention trapping less than 1/2 of that. It is also made for forced induction and retains a closed emissions compliant system except in CA.

Depending on the amount of boost you want our E2-X or E2-X Ultra.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!
Boost will not exceed 9-10 lbs. How do the various systems handle increases in crankcase pressure? With several guys having seal failures I would think it would be worth considering.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro

The Elite E2-X system prevents seal failures by pulling suction/vacuum at all times on the crankcase never allowing pressure to build in the first place. This is how ALL Professional Motorsports do it. Not a SINGLE form use breathers/venting due to all the negatives of it.

You also want to retain the factory cleanside separator located on the passenger side cylinder head. It will allow pressure to back into the main intake air bridge if something would fail such as a pinched ringland or other breach in the piston/ring/cylinder wall seal.

If you choose the correct system it is impossible to have a pressure issue with our E2-X Ultra for boost over 10# or so, or E2-X under.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

The Elite E2-X system prevents seal failures by pulling suction/vacuum at all times on the crankcase never allowing pressure to build in the first place. This is how ALL Professional Motorsports do it. Not a SINGLE form use breathers/venting due to all the negatives of it.

You also want to retain the factory cleanside separator located on the passenger side cylinder head. It will allow pressure to back into the main intake air bridge if something would fail such as a pinched ringland or other breach in the piston/ring/cylinder wall seal.

If you choose the correct system it is impossible to have a pressure issue with our E2-X Ultra for boost over 10# or so, or E2-X under.
If I purchase the Ultra will the instructions be based off of my Whipple setup or will they just be general in nature?
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote