Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The typical plastic drain pan is big enough in diameter so that when the flow from the drain plug hole has slowed down to a vertical stream, you can move it over far enough to catch the flow from the loosened filter at the same time.

However, some drain pans don't have enough volume, so be sure you know yours does.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The typical plastic drain pan is big enough in diameter so that when the flow from the drain plug hole has slowed down to a vertical stream, you can move it over far enough to catch the flow from the loosened filter at the same time.
Good to know. How far horizontally the hot oil shoots out of the drain hole will be interesting to find out. I will position the big pan so its edge is almost directly under the drain hole so that most of the pan is out to the side where I expect the oil to shoot. I'll be putting another small pan against the far edge of my big one just in case it goes far. I will have the car on ramps, so this may up the stream's enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
However, some drain pans don't have enough volume, so be sure you know yours does.
15 Quarts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMGYNA
Old 06-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
shoot out a foot or so, dont overthink it
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
You'll find there is only so much room for the pan....the ramp your tire is sitting on is less than 2 feet away.
No need for hot oil. Let the car sit an hour.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Sometimes it's better to do the filter first then drain the oil. Anyone who has changed oil more then a handful of times has dropped the filter into a full drain pan at least once. It makes a huge mess when it splashes.

Being a fleet mechanic it really sucks doing that with a peterbilt filter haha

This! I always do the filter first, and over an empty drain pan. Just unthread it a few turns to let the oil above the filter drain out, then unthread it the rest of the way.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
DirectTo

Drives: Sold!
I'm another guy in the "big zip-lock bag over the oil filter" camp. Works on my car, my wife's idiotic Jeep (where the filter is at an angle), and on our airplane (where the damn thing is horizontal).

Order a Stahlbus plug and you'll get the whole thing done without so much as a splash of oil on your garage floor. It really makes the process easy, borderline enjoyable.
DirectTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #21
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
I'm another guy in the "big zip-lock bag over the oil filter" camp. Works on my car, my wife's idiotic Jeep (where the filter is at an angle), and on our airplane (where the damn thing is horizontal).

Order a Stahlbus plug and you'll get the whole thing done without so much as a splash of oil on your garage floor. It really makes the process easy, borderline enjoyable.
Ditto, except I have the fumoto drain valve on my F350. Need to check out the stahlbus for the Camaro tho.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
A 5 gallon bucket fits under the drain pan when the car is on race ramps. There’s no worry about oil carry over / spillage and no need to pour into different containers.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #23
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
A 5 gallon bucket fits under the drain pan when the car is on race ramps. There’s no worry about oil carry over / spillage and no need to pour into different containers.
Pardon my ignorance, but what are "race ramps"?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #24
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what are "race ramps"?
Light, easy to use and store. They are expensive though...
Attached Images

Last edited by Chutzpah; 06-04-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Thanks, Chutzpah, those are VERY nice! I have a set of inexpensive ramps:
RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006EGAIII...roduct_details

They cost $40-50/pair depending on where you buy. They fit my budget, but what I think I will do is get a couple of lengths of 2x12 about a foot or so longer than my ramps and put my ramps down on those. That should work fine and hopefully I can then use my creeper under the car.

Other comments:

I could not loosen the oil filter by hand (and after almost 50 years of playing guitar, my hand is not weak). I had to use a cap wrench and a ratchet to break it loose, then I could unscrew it the rest of the way by hand.

The rest was routine, except that the drain bolt and oil filter were HOT, even through my nitrile gloves. I ended up grabbing the filter with blue shop towels as I unscrewed it. I may put nitrile over leather gloves next time.

Get a funnel with a long neck because, the oil fill is sort of sideways, so when you stick a regular funnel in there, unless you can bend it up, the wide part of the funnel is going to be too low. This sort of thing works: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0mi/11570917-P

Last edited by Emoto; 06-05-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote