Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #71
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
What do you mean by downforce? I was told it was only because of the all season tire ratings. I am not saying you are wrong I am just curious since the LT1 it has the same body code as the 1SS is it the front bumper cover?

As far as Drag racing goes I am fine with only having Brembos in the front the smaller brakes in the back will allow for more drag wheel choices. I am considering drag racing mine (not all the time but a few times a year) at the strip near me once I get medically better. That will be a few years down the road though.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #72
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
GM has already put it on paper and it’s not. You have to factor wheel / tire size, downforce / wind drag along with vehicle weight. It’s not as simple as this car is lighter with the same horse power. I will add GM probably limited the LT1 top end to 149 mph because it lacks high speed downforce along with the limitation of the tire ratings.

Let’s just agree the LT1 is a nice addition to the Camaro Family. Fun for the street or a good base for building your own track car.

Its limited to 149 mph because the crappy all season tires that are not Z rated. It has absolutely nothing to do with downforce. The speed limiter is easily disabled, but it would be wise to upgrade to a Z rated tire. The LT1 flies with some sticky rubber out back, even on the square 245 set up. Equal tires and equal transmission stock LT1 vs stock SS is a drivers race.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #73
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Its limited to 149 mph because the crappy all season tires that are not Z rated. It has absolutely nothing to do with downforce. The speed limiter is easily disabled, but it would be wise to upgrade to a Z rated tire. The LT1 flies with some sticky rubber out back, even on the square 245 set up. Equal tires and equal transmission stock LT1 vs stock SS is a drivers race.
I’ve been to a few events where features were discussed about the GEN6 SS and the frontend and rear wing were covered as providing down force which makes a car more stable at high speeds (180 mph) I’m not saying you can’t drive the LT1 at higher limits with z rated tires I think I covered tires in my last post. However, GM didn’t put additional aero features on the higher speed limited cars for looks. They are there for road course and top-end stability.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #74
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
What do you mean by downforce? I was told it was only because of the all season tire ratings. I am not saying you are wrong I am just curious since the LT1 it has the same body code as the 1SS is it the front bumper cover?

As far as Drag racing goes I am fine with only having Brembos in the front the smaller brakes in the back will allow for more drag wheel choices. I am considering drag racing mine (not all the time but a few times a year) at the strip near me once I get medically better. That will be a few years down the road though.
Downforce is created by air flowing over the car at higher speeds. Some is created by design alone and manufacturers sometimes will add a rear wing and front spoiler for additional downforce.The SS and ZL1 are designed with an additional wing and spoiler to optimize high end speed stability and traction on road courses. That is not the LT1 strong point. The LT1 really is a good street and track 1/4 mile car with a drag pack.. (tire package) So I think you will have fun with your car.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-18-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #75
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
Did you use launch control when drag racing? A lot of people forget that the car does have launch control. Manual is a lot harder to shift than an automatic.
I have not tried LC yet in the LT1, but from my previous experience with Camaros I was faster with all nannies off. But it might have helped with the 245s. I was running all nannies off. I think just leaving TC on would have helped. I have seen an LT1 video where an A10 I think was getting really loose just like me. 305 mickeys surely will help but maybe a smaller lighter DR might be a bit better on a stock LT1. I will run what I got. I do not have skinnies. And I have a Rotofab for the sweet sound and 5 HP.

Also, is it me or did Chevy make the 2019+ V8 Camaros louder/deeper? It is the best sounding stock car I have ever driven. Take that Mustangs.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #76
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
I’ve been to a few events where features were discussed about the GEN6 SS and the frontend and rear wing were covered as providing down force which makes a car more stable at high speeds (180 mph) I’m not saying you can’t drive the LT1 at higher limits with z rated tires I think I covered tires in my last post. However, GM didn’t put additional aero features on the higher speed limited cars for looks. They are there for road course and top-end stability.

I didn't know a SS or a LT1 hit 180 in the 1/4.

No offense, but you're always mixing up track cars and drag car requirements.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #77
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I didn't know a SS or a LT1 hit 180 in the 1/4.

No offense, but you're always mixing up track cars and drag car requirements.
Never said it would hit 180 mph in the 1/4 mile, not mixing up anything. The comment was about limitations on top speed of the LT1.. the post I responded to he stated it was 149 mph because of the tires...I was adding in about downforce...no offense to you but learn to read the threads before posting.

To help you keep up we talked about 1/4 mile, top speed, tires, and downforce..oh and by the way please show me were in 1LEornothing post I responded it had anything to do with 1/4 mile in that particular conversation...

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-18-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #78
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Quote:
Never said it would hit 180 mph in the 1/4 mile, not mixing up anything. The comment was about limitations on top speed of the LT1.. the post I responded to he stated it was 149 mph because of the tires...I was adding in about downforce...no offense to you but learn to read the threads before posting.

To help you keep up we talked about 1/4 mile, top speed, tires, and downforce..oh and by the way please show me were 1LEornothing post I responded to had anything to do with 1/4 mile in that particular conversation...

I feel like the main reason the LT1 is limited is solely based on the tires. Yes, downforce does apply to the LT1 model. However, the car should be entirely capable of going at much higher speeds once on a new set of performance tires and by changing the programming.

The 2016 SS and 2019 have different downforces, but both are capable of reaching 178 MPH.
ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #79
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
I feel like the main reason the LT1 is limited is solely based on the tires. Yes, downforce does apply to the LT1 model. However, the car should be entirely capable of going at much higher speeds once on a new set of performance tires and by changing the programming.

The 2016 SS and 2019 have different downforces, but both are capable of reaching 178 MPH.
I agree with you that it is mostly tires. The only reason I thought about bringing downforce up was Tom Peters (that was the design director on the Camaro) had a few YouTube interviews were he talked about how much time was spent in the wind tunnel and how the balance of the SS /ZL1 was achieved with the addition of the front and rear spoilers. Just a thought..

Old 07-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #80
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I wouldn't be surprised if the LT1 has a higher top speed than an SS due to the lower drag coefficient from less downforce.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #81
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:

To help you keep up we talked about 1/4 mile, top speed, tires, and downforce..oh and by the way please show me were in 1LEornothing post I responded it had anything to do with 1/4 mile in that particular conversation...

Go read post #70 and get back to me....
Old 07-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #82
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Go read post #70 and get back to me....
I read it .. you need to read it again.. I was responding to 95 imp stating it was the fastest on paper. I stated GM had already put it on paper (GM Information in post 57) if you have been keeping up with the posts you would have seen that info. I never said limited top speed was in the 1/4 mile. I said let me add that the LT1 has a limited top speed of 149 mph. Who assumes any car would hit a computer limited top speed in the quarter mile.

So you can understand I was stating GM specs showed the LT1 auto slower 0-60, Same 1/4 mile and limited to 149 mph top speed vs 180 mph compared to the SS. Stock it’s not faster on paper in any of the information from GM. Mod or put drag tires on it for 0-60 or 1/4 mile...sure, top end speed you would need again make changes by removing the limiter.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-19-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #83
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the LT1 has a higher top speed than an SS due to the lower drag coefficient from less downforce.
Good point.
I agree, if you removed the computer limiter. The LT1 being a bit lighter and lower drag coefficient I think it could be faster. I was just pointing out some information from Tom Peters has discussed about adding a spoiler and air dams to balance the SS and ZL1. Those come in to play dealing with stability at high speeds so maybe GM felt the less down force didn’t fall into their stability comfort level on the LT1. Or maybe not...Hard to tell just adding it into the discussion about the LT1
Old 07-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #84
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
I read it .. you need to read it again.. I was responding to 95 imp stating it was the fastest on paper.
You're still responding to me. And I thought I was the one that needed reading lessons...

Quote:
I started GM had already put it on paper (GM Information in post 57) if you have been keeping up with the posts you would have seen that info.
And the 1/4 mile times are EXACTLY the same.... but, all else being equal, the LT1 WILL be slightly faster.

Quote:
I never said limited top speed was in the 1/4 mile.
Then why bring it up if it is irrelevant information?

Quote:
I said let me add that the LT1 has a limited top speed of 149 mph. Who assumes any car would hit a computer limited top speed in the quarter mile.
Then why is it that you always talking about "180"?

Quote:
So you can understand I was stating GM specs showed the LT1 slower 0-60, Same 1/4 mile and limited to 149 mph top speed vs 180 mph compared to the SS. Stock it’s not faster on paper in any of the information from GM.
Strangely, the manual 0-60 is the same, but the auto shows a .2 sec difference. Not really a point that you should hang your whole argument on, is it?

Besides, I've never been to the "0-60 races" before, have you?

Further, we will take YOUR example of the automatic and ponder this question:

If the LT1 is slower from 0-60, but ends up the same in the 1/4, how is it making up that lost time (.2 seconds) if it isn't "faster"?

Quote:
Mod or put a drag tires on it for 0-60 or 1/4 mile...sure, top end you would need again make changes by removing the limiter.
Both cars (stock) with drag tires could not hit 149 quarter in a wet dream.