Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2021, 10:37 PM   #1
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Which dash cam???

I know this has been discussed, but there are new features on the ever-changing dash cam world. I'm looking at 2 cameras. They both have similar features, 4k front, 1080p UHD rear, separate back-up battery system....but that's where it ends. My camera choices are as follows, with the major difference:

Thinkware U1000
- motion radar detection - starts the camera as soon as motion is detected and stays on for up to 10 minutes, taking a shot every second (IMSMC)
- according to Vortex Radar, this system is the better system for picture quality and clear details in video

Blackvue 900X
- LTE connection with text alerts that alert you when a bump has been detected. This also allows for LIVE view of what the cameras see, and 2 way voice communication. You don't need a data plan, but it's strongly encouraged.

So why am I looking at dash cams? My car has been bumped at least twice in the 7 months I've owned it....maybe up to 4 times as I have found scratches on the bumpers that I wheel out. I would like to have something that starts recording BEFORE someone hits my car so that I can an least have a chance at getting a license plate, but I also like the ability to see a live stream from my car of what's happening. Let me know who's running which camera and your thoughts please!!

PS - also looking for a gps tracking device as a cop friend tells me that when a professional car theif steals a car, they disable Onstar within 30 seconds of starting the vehicle. So any recommendations there would be appreciated too. I was going to use a Samsung Smartthings LTE tag, but they have irratated me for 10 hours of trying to activate one, so that's a "no go".
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 AM   #2
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_White View Post
I would like to have something that starts recording BEFORE someone hits my car so that I can an least have a chance at getting a license plate,
That's called 'buffered parking mode'. Basically, while parked, it's recording (but not saving); when a bump is detected, the dvr will save from 5-10 seconds before til 15-20 seconds after the event.

Quote:
but I also like the ability to see a live stream from my car of what's happening.
PS - also looking for a gps tracking device
Both of the products you stated have live view and GPS.

Quote:
as a cop friend tells me that when a professional car theif steals a car, they disable Onstar within 30 seconds of starting the vehicle.
Did the cop mention how? I figure that you just have to know which wire to cut (power? antenna?)
Note that a pro car thief would probably know about car DVRs -- and would know to yank cables.

I have a Blackvue 750X & StreetGuardian 9663DR (Camaro), a Thinkware FA200 (Cougar), and a Viofo A139 (Equinox).
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
The one feature I'm sorely missing from these and all other dash cams is GPS based power-off—essentially, I want it to turn off with the car when I'm parked in my garage or a few other "known safe" locations, but keep recording in parking mode otherwise. I contacted Blackvue about this shortly after I'd bought my dash cam, and they flat out said they weren't going to do it. Weird.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The one feature I'm sorely missing from these and all other dash cams is GPS based power-off—essentially, I want it to turn off with the car when I'm parked in my garage or a few other "known safe" locations, but keep recording in parking mode otherwise. I contacted Blackvue about this shortly after I'd bought my dash cam, and they flat out said they weren't going to do it. Weird.
I had a similar idea, but based on wifi. I figured, if the dvr saw my LAN, it could go into a customizable mode.
But, yes, gps-based is better (use it anywhere).
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
I went with the Thinkware u1000 2 channel with the RADAR and an iVolt battery pack in my glove box. Awesome setup, IMO.

willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote