Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
First time at the track.. disappointing results

Went to the track for the first time last night with the Camaro to get a baseline before heads/cam/FBO next month. Got to say I’m kind of disappointed, I thought I was a better drive than I am lol. Car’s an a10, pretty much bone stock just a catch can, borla axle back, and 20x11 rears and 20x10 fronts. D/A was 3k.

Best pass was a 12.75 @ 112mph. I thought summer tires would do well for stock power on a prepped surface but I was wildly wrong. Spun probably close to 100 feet both times. I only did two passes, I thought I’d snap an axle and said **** it.

- How are you launching these cars? Off idle? Launch control? One foot on brake and one on gas (I was going to try this and was practicing in the lanes but it felt super awkward). I left off idle switching my foot from brake to gas and putting it to the floor but it didn’t work at all. Second run I tried feathering it more and still spun and had a worse 60ft. Probably doesn’t help they didn’t have room to go around the water box and I had to drive through it.

Slip from my first ever pass and the better run of the two:
Attached Images

Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I have always found the best to way to launch most automatic cars is to launch it off the foot brake. Stall the car as hard as you can without it moving; as soon as the tree turns green, let off the brake quickly, keeping the throttle in the same spot for a brief moment as the car starts to roll of the line. This lets the car start moving before you start applying power. As soon as the car starts moving, start giving the car more gas as aggressively as the tires will allow as you get up in RPM.

I know it sounds simple, but in reality it isn't. It takes time to learn the traction limits of the car.

Perhaps there is a large State Road near you with stop lights? That is where I find it is best to practice launching since the speed limit is usually 60+mph.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
da isnt helping. did you only make 1 pass? what mode/settings etc did you use? looks like it 1/8 miled ok but slowed down on the back half.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Hmm, 20x11 rears, what tires did you install? Did you lower the rear tire pressure? Burnout or not? Traction Control on or off?

For reference, my new (at that time) bone stock SS A8 (just a fire extinguisher added) in August heat also ran 89/112 the first time on a dragstrip. I did not lower pressure in the runflats or do a burnout, specifically because I was preparing for an event where I would not be doing a burnout. Anyway, I got a 1.9 short time, 8.0@89 mid track, and 12.3@112 in the 1/4 mile. Launched from idle, applying the throttle not really mashing it at the time. I think that I had turned Traction Control off, even though I did not do a burnout that time. The next month, better weather too, I lowered the rears to 27psi and did a burnout, and definitely turned Traction Control off. Was rewarded with 1.8 short times and 7.8@91-92 mid track, and 12.0@114 in the 1/4 mile, again launching from idle. I also tried loading it against the brake a little (but not hard up like other guy suggesting), however my particular car was a little slower that way.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
Flexhorn

Drives: A10 ZL1
Your 60’ is not too bad for stock. Me car stalls when I try to rev to 2k rpm’s, so I use the launch control setting it to 2300. I lower my tires to 21. I’m now running 824 Rwhp and need new tires but my Toyo 888r’s were good for about 3k miles of hooking well.
Flexhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
That translates to a 12.3 @ 116.6 mph corrected to standard conditions at sea level - like the magazine times you see (although they are done on street asphalt and not a prepped strip surface). That said, you're pretty much exactly in line with C&D and MT for an A10 SS. DA makes a big difference.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote