Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2021, 10:37 PM   #29
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
So is there a consensus on what is causing these lines to fail?

What I don't get, given that the hose should be a commodity type product, so you would think that there wouldn't be a lot type failure of these.
Mine didn’t fail but it was going to fail and probably not fair off given the condition of the one I removed. I know exactly why mine was failing and it was the lose oil pan bolt in the same proximity of that hose. Oil and rubber don’t play well together and it was deteriorating my hose.

I had checked the torque on every bolt I could reach with the aluminum plate in place. When I replaced the hose I torqued the remaining bolts.

It would be nice if more people knew what caused their hose to fail. I’d really suggest anyone that has the time to check every oil pan bolt.

I’ll check the 4-ply silicone hose I bought at the next oil change, if not sooner.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #30
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Just happened to me while doing some test pulls. The hose has a 2" slice in it. Went sideways. Pretty hairy. Looks like its part 12656725 for me. Going to the shop on Monday. I'm at 57k miles.

Last edited by grampa_ss; 09-24-2021 at 10:47 PM.
grampa_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #31
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I’m reading thru this thread, trying to get a sense on the cause. Is the common denominator here that the failure is occurring on cars that have had some work done, like headers, cam, etc. ?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #32
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I’m reading thru this thread, trying to get a sense on the cause. Is the common denominator here that the failure is occurring on cars that have had some work done, like headers, cam, etc. ?
it is an issue i've read about since day 1. those bolts are loose when they leave the factory and/or they are very sensitive to torque values and loosen up over time.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #33
Trochoidal

Had the car in the air today and checked the silicone hose. Everything is dry and looks as good as it did when I replaced it last year.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 09-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #34
grampa_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Had the car in the air today and checked the silicone hose. Everything is dry and looks as good as it did when I replaced it last year.
good to know. what tool did you use to get the clamps off? it looks pretty tight in there.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #35
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
good to know. what tool did you use to get the clamps off? it looks pretty tight in there.
It was a combination of 2 types of tools. Links below.

I will say that if I only had the dual hinged 45° needle nose pliers, I may have been able to get the clamp closest to the front of the car. But the hose clamp pliers kit sure helped too.

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-PSX2...2602734&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Pliers-Flexib...2602851&sr=8-1

Old 09-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #36
grampa_ss

Thank you!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #37
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
This is going to cause a lot of people who don't know any better and ones who don't pay attention to their car to ruin their engine. I think the LT1 will still overheat in limp mode though and I think the AFM will start cycling different cylinders to try to stop the overheating. I am not sure if it will eventually overheat and damage the heads or something else even when in limp mode. I am sure it probably would.

Mine did happen when I had my heads and cam on, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I put a lot of miles on my car and I think I some of the first cars to get that much miles (80k+) and it eventually failed after so many heat cycles. I shouldn't have tried to limp mine home and should of towed it but it was really close to home.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #38
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Looking through this thread, it looks like everybody that has encountered the issue has a 2016 or 2017 based on their "Drives" info. Curious if Chevy has addressed this - have there been any reports on later model years?

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #39
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Looking through this thread, it looks like everybody that has encountered the issue has a 2016 or 2017 based on their "Drives" info. Curious if Chevy has addressed this - have there been any reports on later model years?
I searched TSB's but I couldn't find anything using terms like "hose" and "coolant" and "oil cooler leak".

In this case I'm not sure if there might be "political" reasons why they wouldn't make a TSB on it since its not a hidden issue that would be hard to diagnose. I think they mainly do TSB's to not have techs spending unnecessary time diagnosing things. If the hose fails or leaks you would either see it on the ground or you will eventually overheat which I fear could eventually kill a lot of motors.

I am wondering if when mine failed and it ran at higher temps if it could have caused my intake valve seats failing, not sure how it would have but overheating can cause a lot of issues like that.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #40
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Thank you!
You’re welcome! I’ll also add that clamp kit is anything but Snap-On quality. But hey, it did the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
This is going to cause a lot of people who don't know any better and ones who don't pay attention to their car to ruin their engine. I think the LT1 will still overheat in limp mode though and I think the AFM will start cycling different cylinders to try to stop the overheating. I am not sure if it will eventually overheat and damage the heads or something else even when in limp mode. I am sure it probably would.

Mine did happen when I had my heads and cam on, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I put a lot of miles on my car and I think I some of the first cars to get that much miles (80k+) and it eventually failed after so many heat cycles. I shouldn't have tried to limp mine home and should of towed it but it was really close to home.
I couldn’t agree with you more. The tow bill alone would cost more than being proactive and replacing that piece of hose. It’s not a tough job. Honestly there’s more time removing fasteners and the aluminum plate. Even though one of the clamps isn’t in an ideal location, it’s not hateful. Now the coolant bath is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
This might be specific to the the years you mentioned. Maybe they changed to a braided hose or heat wrapped it after 2017. It would be worth someone sharing by poking around with a light and cellphone camera to capture an image. I’m sure any of us that addressed this could tell you real fast if it was updated.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #41
grampa_ss

It was really weird. I didn’t even know anything happened. Car didn’t go into limp mode. Temp gauge was normal. This is what happened.
Did a pull in 2nd gear at 45. All was good. Did another pull and rear end kick out hard, real hard, 90 degrees. Done lots of pulls on this same road for 4 years. Scared the hell out of me. Went home 1/2 mile away and noticed the fans running full speed. Popped the hood, looked clean, but coolant reservoirs empty. The driveway had a solid trail of coolant. Got under the car and started drying it up, then found the torn hose.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:35 PM   #42
R8R1LE

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE Manual
I would make a heatshield.
Another item on the "if I ever mod it" list.
R8R1LE is offline   Reply With Quote