Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #827
OhioRiderAaron

Drives: BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
About the same setup: -2.6/-1.6 (F/R) camber, 0.0/+0.13 (F/R) toe. I agree with TrackClub. If anything, the car will feel a touch tail happy on certain turns. Some additional camber, like near -2.0, might help in the turns, but might hurt power-down. Plus, I hear as you get to -2.0 rear, you being to have toe adjustment issues. Personally, I am thinking to try a SS/FE3 rear bar as it is just a touch less stiff to try and plant the rear a little better.
I actually disagree regarding the rear camber. Heck even TCKline thought I was running too much camber in the rear of my M3; however, I ended up turning faster laps and the rear-end felt more planted at those higher values. I'm no expert or seasoned racer by any means, but I feel like the threshold for rear camber to max grip is higher than many people say (-2.0-3.0deg).

Not totally relevant but it may help to understand my experience level or lack-there-of, but I was running 2:09s, 1:56s, and 1:39s at Watkins/Pitt/Mid-Ohio with my mostly stock car (however I am in no way saying I was the fastest F80 ZCP M3 driver out there either).

Having said that, suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated, I will definitely look into trying them out this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Looks like our set ups are almost identical, except i run a bit of toe out in F and more toe in R (+.0.24 i think?)
Overall the car is very stable and neutral in both slow and fast corners. Of course i can get it loose, but that's a driver induced issue Cheers!
That's quite a bit of rear toe, tire-wear has been a non-issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Try the other drive modes first. Try PTM Race and even all-off first. The eLSD engagement, TC and Stab can effect the feeling you have, too.
I'll be at NCM this weekend which is a fun track to experiment with so I'll make sure to try out RACE mode. The GM platform is still a bit new to me still.
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #828
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
I actually disagree regarding the rear camber. Heck even TCKline thought I was running too much camber in the rear of my M3; however, I ended up turning faster laps and the rear-end felt more planted at those higher values. I'm no expert or seasoned racer by any means, but I feel like the threshold for rear camber to max grip is higher than many people say (-2.0-3.0deg).

Not totally relevant but it may help to understand my experience level or lack-there-of, but I was running 2:09s, 1:56s, and 1:39s at Watkins/Pitt/Mid-Ohio with my mostly stock car (however I am in no way saying I was the fastest F80 ZCP M3 driver out there either).

Having said that, suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated, I will definitely look into trying them out this season.

That's quite a bit of rear toe, tire-wear has been a non-issue?

I'll be at NCM this weekend which is a fun track to experiment with so I'll make sure to try out RACE mode. The GM platform is still a bit new to me still.
All good points and looks like your pace is pretty good
Bimmers are very capable cars for sure!

But if you are feeling much understeer in a stock SS 1LE then something is wrong your set up wise. Camber will influence degree of rotation. So less camber in the rear should produce better rotation on that end and hence eliminate understeer.

Camber split F vs R is also relative to weight ratio F vs R.
That's why mid/rear engine cars call for tons of rear camber vs front engine cars. Because there is less mass and hence less inertia to counter.

I suspect your M4 was closer to 50/50 weight distribution vs the 1le? Just a guess, as i havent checked. No two cars are the same...

Bottom line, less camber in the R should give ya more neutral handling. And this would be in line with what virtually all the fast guys on this forum run set up wise as far as F vs R split.

Yep my R toe is more than i had asked for as for some reason the Hunter machine was not permitting a finer value. To be clear that's a total toe. I double checked the specs and i was off a bit as the actual is 0.1 on EACH side. The tire wear F and R has been near damn perfect!

Here's a pic of the F (rears were in a bit better shape):
Attached Images

TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #829
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
TrackClub - on my SS 1LE on G3's, I ran -2.7 / -1.7. On G3R's, I run -2.0 in the rear which is nominal setting per the ZL1 1LE section of the Track Prep Guide. I keep the -2.0 when my youngest son runs on the G3's.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #830
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
TrackClub - on my SS 1LE on G3's, I ran -2.7 / -1.7. On G3R's, I run -2.0 in the rear which is nominal setting per the ZL1 1LE section of the Track Prep Guide. I keep the -2.0 when my youngest son runs on the G3's.
Thanks for chiming in!

Yep your original setting matches most of the fast guys re F vs R split.

Dont know what G3Rs require per se, other than more camber equally F and R as compared to the GM specs for other cars incl SS 1LE. While the manual calls for 2.0/1.5 for the SS 1le and 2.5/2.0 for the ZLE the splits are the same, yet everyone maxes the F way beyond the spec for best performance. I suspect ZLE guys also max the F beyond 2.5 effectively making the split bigger and similar to what we run on SS 1les.

One more point: given you run ZLE wheels which i believe create a wider F track width, running a smaller split would make sense and dial some stability back in.
It would also make sense for your young gun given he is learning the trade.

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #831
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Added video to my Mid-Ohio post #813... A perspective from another vehicle following during one of the sessions.

Added Pics of my tires to my PittRace post #799.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #832
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Here's a pic of the F (rears were in a bit better shape):
Well TC i think I'm officially taking claim of better front tire wear than you with this set. Unless you have a better set than this pic. I however have to do the higher street pressure to even mine out. I didn't get to actually cord these tires at Nelson Ledges this weekend but they are damn close. Nelson does not have much paved paddock so I had to ask the Instructors/crew if I could pull my car by their trailer to get it on the pavement to swap my fronts after the morning sessions, because i thought and now still think i could have made it through the 2 afternoon sessions with them swapped. But because i was over there in front of them a few instructors and the safety steward came over and told me they didn't want me going out on them (they said i had 3 laps till cords).

Well i had my BRAND NEW 19x10.5s with Kumho V720 ACRs in 295 square with me so I said I could change them all out even though i really didn't want to use them this day. So anyways, i did the swap and to my dismay, 10 min into the session in which i never got a clean lap anyways, my car got extremely squirrely coming out of a corner and my steering wheel was way out of straight coming down the next straightaway. I did a cool down lap and pitted. When i jacked the car up later to swap wheels back for driving home, i found my driver front ACR tire had the inside belts delaminate from the carcass and basically blew up inside the tire. The tire had no leaks and still held air, but this is clearly a defective tire and I'm glad i didn't have a major issue.

FYI I was still within 1 second of my #1 time here with those G3s and I ran a 1:12 flat on the ACRs with some traffic intervention.
Attached Images

TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #833
TrackClub

Oh man that could have ended badly...
Glad you managed to keep er shiny side up!

Yep, agree: you officially take P1 for the even wear on the G3s lol!!! How many days on them?
Old 06-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #834
TheRealJA105

I didn't keep track. Now these wheels are at the tire shop and I'm kind of being a guinea pig as i only remember one person trying the 305 on the front rim. That's what's going on them and I have a TNiA Wednesday. I have 5mm and 12mm spacers to run them if required. Sidewalls may give too much to take advantage of the extra bite??? I'm going to find out!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #835
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Hey everyone, the admins approved the transfer of the thread to me (with Provost's blessing) and I should be getting these updated sometime after this weekend.As of right now it looks like the earliest post that hasn't been updated was on page 49, post #681, so it will take me a while to get caught up, but once I do I will try my best to update these as they come in.

Thanks!
YouTube Channel
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:47 AM   #836
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
Hey everyone, the admins approved the transfer of the thread to me (with Provost's blessing) and I should be getting these updated sometime after this weekend.As of right now it looks like the earliest post that hasn't been updated was on page 49, post #681, so it will take me a while to get caught up, but once I do I will try my best to update these as they come in.

Thanks!
Awesome! Thank you for volunteering MODRN71 and thank you Provoste for starting and maintaining this thread for such a long time (hope all is well in the enduro world, eh?!). Best cheers!
Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 AM   #837
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I didn't keep track. Now these wheels are at the tire shop and I'm kind of being a guinea pig as i only remember one person trying the 305 on the front rim. That's what's going on them and I have a TNiA Wednesday. I have 5mm and 12mm spacers to run them if required. Sidewalls may give too much to take advantage of the extra bite??? I'm going to find out!
305 on a 10.5 should be alright, no? What tires going on the rims next? Acr?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #838
TheRealJA105

Quote:

Thanks!
Awesome, thanks Luan!

Quote:
305 on a 10.5 should be alright, no? What tires going on the rims next? Acr?
I'm putting the 305/30/20 rear G3 on the 10" front rim. I will get another ACR to run on the 19x10.5s.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #839
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:

Thanks!

That is great news!! Thank you for stepping up Luan (MODRN71)

Thank you Eric (Provoste), with most respect, for making the difficult decision to turn over your "baby"
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #840
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Awesome, thanks Luan!

I'm putting the 305/30/20 rear G3 on the 10" front rim. I will get another ACR to run on the 19x10.5s.
Ooh, that's a bit skinny beyond a min rim size, eh?
Hope it works out for ya without any drama given your pace