Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
thornstein

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Infotainment system just freezes.

I'm about out of options and looking for some insight. I've searched this forum time and again, had it reloaded by the dealer, had the infotainment system replaced under warranty, etc. It just keeps freezing up on me and I cannot associate it with anything specific. I'm past 3 years and it's out of warranty now. The unit was replaced about a year ago but I don't drive it too much so time has passed and the 90 day warranty on parts is gone. .

1. It's a 2016 SS convertible with 24,000 miles on it.

2. Sometimes it seems to go out when you hit a bump, makes me think it's a connection or something. Then it will just go at, as it did this morning, sitting at a stoplight. The other day it went out and froze the millisecond I pushed the set button on the cruise control.

3. The 5 station selection buttons on the bottom of the screen go into 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. and the station labels disappear until the system comes back on.

4. Sometimes I can still select stations on the driver display from the steering wheel control but it doesn't actually make anything happen. Sometimes it's all locked up and I can't get anything to move.

5. I try pressing the power button and sometimes I can get the screen to go blank but most of the time I get no response out of any of the buttons.

6. When it comes back on, and that's completely random, I can't associate it with having done something to make it come back on, even though I'm trying all the buttons, etc.

7. I've tried disconnection the negative battery cable and letting it sit for 10 minutes. This seems to help it for a ride or two, but then I have to do it again. Sometimes this doesn't help at all and it still goes out the first ride after I do this.

8. I have no media or anything connected to the USB ports.

9. When the unit was replaced last year, it seemed to help for a while. Again, I don't drive it regularly so it might have been OK for a thousand miles.

10. They say it has the latest software version. I can only take their word on that.

11. When it freezes, everything freezes on it. You cannot get out of the screen and into any other component of the screen.

Has anyone had the same issues? Could someone suggest something? Maybe even an alternative. Music goes with a convertible SS just like gasoline. When cruising down the road and the music goes off, it really ruins the experience for me. Thanks for any input you might have. -Tom
Attached Images

thornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
Sorry i cant help you with the radio issue but i can tell you it's possible that something else not even related to the radio might be causing the problem. The entire car uses a can-bus wiring system so everything in the car is connected..... My windows wouldnt index back up after shutting the door and i was getting messages in the DIC about rolling the windows down and back up again....this had been going on for over a year and was progressively getting worse...... turned out the whole issue was caused by a bad gear position sensor on the transmission. i was lucky It gave them a code after they had the car for 3 weeks... they replaced the part and my windows have worked perfectly ever since.... Hopefully whatever is failing on your car will eventually set a code so you can find it. Good luck.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Check with some of the Audio shops in your area maybe you will find someone who's dealt with this issue before.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
Usmcdevildog

Drives: Camaro ZL1 automatic
Bro my 2018 ZL1 Is doing the exact same thing the OP said in his original post, I am at a loss!
Usmcdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
thornstein

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I was able to fix mine. I tried all the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box to see if any were loose. Particularly the one that is for the "radio". Nothing helped. Then I was in the trunk and there is another fuse box there, buried under the mat, etc. It's about in the center of the trunk. I checked all of them and there were a few that were loose. I took them out, checked them, reinserted them all the way, and I haven't had this issue since. Try it and I hope that works for you.
thornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
I have experienced many of the same issues including the audio cutting out, radio stations not changing with the steering wheel controls, screen going blank, station select buttons going grey with just numbers. In my case, however, it was because my trunk was full of water and the amplifier was sumberged. I think it was causing problems on the data busses my guess was the MOST50. I ended up removing the amplifier and repairing it.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote