Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #239
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hey guys, really dumb question but I have zero knowledge about electronics. I bought a cable from battery cable USA but they only had red cables in stock. I want to guess the cables are exactly the same but I wasn’t 100% sure. Will this be a problem that I bought a red cable instead of black or does it not matter because they are the same inside? I will be using the cable for the purpose of this thread (engine to chassis ground) as I too sometimes have hot start issues.

Last edited by m6-lt1; 09-14-2021 at 08:46 PM.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #240
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Hey guys, really dumb question but I have zero knowledge about electronics. I bought a cable from battery cable USA but they only had red cables in stock. I want to guess the cables are exactly the same but I wasn’t 100% sure. Will this be a problem that I bought a red cable instead of black or does it not matter because they are the same inside? I will be using the cable for the purpose of this thread (engine to chassis ground) as I too sometimes have hot start issues.

No difference. Color helps identify if its a positive (red) or ground (black).

but in your case it'll be a ground wire that's red.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #241
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post

If it were a positive cable and you ordered a black one, I’d say reorder a red one. Bad things happen when you touch things to a hot line. Red is more of a warning to be super careful about what you touch it with. Plus anyone can clearly see both ends of the cable here and they’ll figure out it’s not hot.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #242
oOKhanhOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Here is hoping that new battery added to the ground cable(s) you've added puts your car right and your starting woes are behind you.
I haven't changed it out yet. but lately the car has been starting up cold and warm/hot start just find. as if it never had the starting problem. I wonder if me adding a ground wire from battery to an existing ground post in the trunk helped the vehicle recharge properly? I should get the battery tested again.

I have ground from negative post in the engine bay to engine and ground from battery to existing chassis post in the trunk.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #243
oOKhanhOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
If it were a positive cable and you ordered a black one, I’d say reorder a red one. Bad things happen when you touch things to a hot line. Red is more of a warning to be super careful about what you touch it with. Plus anyone can clearly see both ends of the cable here and they’ll figure out it’s not hot.

That's true. Only m6-lt1 will knows its actually a ground wire.

In that case, just get the 0/2 gauge. a bit thicker and you can get it in black.

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00-...able-with-ends
Old 09-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #244
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
Agreed. The red cable will be fine to use as your new ground connection. It may confuse someone else but you know what you did. It will work fine. I wish you happy starting going forward.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #245
SSDan

Quote:
I haven't changed it out yet. but lately the car has been starting up cold and warm/hot start just find. as if it never had the starting problem. I wonder if me adding a ground wire from battery to an existing ground post in the trunk helped the vehicle recharge properly? I should get the battery tested again.

I have ground from negative post in the engine bay to engine and ground from battery to existing chassis post in the trunk.
On my car - I have no proof the extra ground cable in the trunk helped but I know it didn’t hurt. It’s great your car starts well now. Getting the battery load tested would be a good idea just for peace of mind. Best wishes for your starting worries to be over.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 09-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #246
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Thank you all for the quick reply’s about my red cable issue. Since they are the same I will just spray paint it black or wrap black electrical tape around it
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #247
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Thank you all for the quick reply’s about my red cable issue. Since they are the same I will just spray paint it black or wrap black electrical tape around it
Use the tape... It'll be fine...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #248
Bigtime32

Drives: 17 2SS
Hey guys I’m buying a 2017 SS next Tuesday. I’m flying to Virginia to buy the car and then drive it almost 1000 miles home. I’m worried that I might have a problem getting the car to start if I shut it off when I stop for fuel.. Is there anything I can do to help me from getting stuck with a car that won’t start.??
Like is said I am flying down and driving it home, so I am limited on having tools or a jumper pack with me
Bigtime32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #249
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime32 View Post
Hey guys I’m buying a 2017 SS next Tuesday. I’m flying to Virginia to buy the car and then drive it almost 1000 miles home. I’m worried that I might have a problem getting the car to start if I shut it off when I stop for fuel.. Is there anything I can do to help me from getting stuck with a car that won’t start.??
Like is said I am flying down and driving it home, so I am limited on having tools or a jumper pack with me
If you just give the car 5 mins....i'm sure it'll start. That being said. I always keep this in the trunk. NOCO Boost Plus GB40
Old 10-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #250
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime32 View Post
Is there anything I can do to help me from getting stuck with a car that won’t start.??
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
If you just give the car 5 mins....i'm sure it'll start. That being said. I always keep this in the trunk. NOCO Boost Plus GB40
A couple of thoughts:

- This has definitely been an issue for 2016 models - not as much for 2017 and newer. So, maybe you will be fine. (I'd add the ground cable as a precaution once I got home with it anyway).
- As grampa ss said if you get a no start - open the hood to let as much heat out as possible and wait 5-10 minutes.
-If you get a slow start after the first stop - it may crank slowly but should start. The problem gets worse with each consecutive start if they are in very close sequence to each other. (Like going to the store, then the gas station and then the pharmacy - all within a few minutes of each other).

Good luck and have fun with your new ride.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 10-01-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #251
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
A couple of thoughts:

- This has definitely been an issue for 2016 models - not as much for 2017 and newer. So, maybe you will be fine. (I'd add the ground cable as a precaution once I got home with it anyway).
- As grampa ss said if you get a no start - open the hood to let as much heat out as possible and wait 5-10 minutes).
-If you get a slow start after the first stop - it may crank slowly but should start. The problem gets worse with each consecutive start if they are in very close sequence to each other. (Like going to the store, then the gas station and then the pharmacy - all within a few minutes of each other).

Good luck and have fun with your new ride.
Mine did a slow crank for about 5 seconds after a 30 minute drive and ten minute shutoff yesterday - it is the worst it has ever sounded. Normally I just get the first crank slow then it starts normally. I made two more stops after that though, and it was fine. Makes me wonder if it is actually a starter issue.

I agree, this is an issue dogging the 2016's though. I am thinking about dropping $200 on a battery just in case, and I have that ground-strap from Gen5 even though I have my doubts it will do anything. Still waiting for somebody - GM or aftermarket - to give us the silver bullet to fix this. Not even worried about warranty - I just want it fixed!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #252
SSDan

Geoff, don't doubt it - put the ground cable on. This is an issue of too much resistance in the electron flow between the battery and the starter caused by both a heat soaked starter compounded by a poor ground. Improving the ground with an additional cable is enough of a reduction in resistance to make a difference. I and many others have cured this with an added ground cable. Many people have gone the new battery route (including me) and/or a new starter and have ended after a while right back in the slow crank club.

I have had at least a hundred hot engine starts since adding the cable - not one of them has been a slow crank. And that is with the original starter and a 2 year old battery.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)