Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Something odd happened.

I started it up and it after sitting for 3 weeks. I moved it a couple times during that. sounded horrible,smoked, stunk. Check engine light flashing, stabiltract saying service. It sounded like misfire. Called dealer, they said get it towed here or you will destroy your catalytic converter. I did. They replaced #4 sparkplug saying it was fouled. It had a tiny bit of carbon on it. My sparkplugs on my 72 corvette have 10 times more carbon on it and it runs fine. I'm wondering if the plug just went bad or had a hairline crack in the porcelain? Has this happened to anyone else? It runs good now with the new plug in. It has 3,500 miles on it.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Haven't had it happen on this car but have had it happen in the past. Plug looks fine but insulation fails and it arcs inside the plug. Changed out plug problem solved.
Z28GTOSSMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The spark plug could have been bad and didn’t show up until all those miles were put on the car. Hopefully your Camaro is good to go now!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I have had spark plugs fail in a number of rather odd ways in various vehicles over the years (but not in my '17, at least not yet).
So, it happens.......

Quite fortunately though, you appear to have caught it before any worse damage was done.