Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Let's assume that GM is shelving the Gen 7. They could, with much less R&D and capital (no plant retooling for new body and chassis etc.) keep the Alpha Gen 6 going for 10 years but put enough resources to design an LT5 based gen 6, call it whatever, but it would be a beast.
And the LT2 goes in the SS. Sounds like a great second half to a long Gen 6 run.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
And the LT2 goes in the SS. Sounds like a great second half to a long Gen 6 run.
yup, that would be a no brainer. They should do that next year.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Quote:
yup, that would be a no brainer. They should do that next year.
Agreed. Like you two, and others, have said: it sounds to me like LT2 is more of an LT1 replacement than a special upper tier engine.

However, if it requires the new electrical architecture GM developed for the C8 it might not be backwards compatible into old platforms like Alpha.

*edit*
To the OP, why wait 3 years to put that engine into a Z/28 anyway? If it can be done at all for the 6th gen, why not put it into the Camaro as soon as possible.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #18
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Camaro is going away, no more Z/28, but think there is a solid chance you will get an LT2 in an SS before the curtain falls. Now an LT2 SS1LE would be a very potent car for the $$ JMHO.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Agreed. Like you two, and others, have said: it sounds to me like LT2 is more of an LT1 replacement than a special upper tier engine.

However, if it requires the new electrical architecture GM developed for the C8 it might not be backwards compatible into old platforms like Alpha.

*edit*
To the OP, why wait 3 years to put that engine into a Z/28 anyway? If it can be done at all for the 6th gen, why not put it into the Camaro as soon as possible.
Makes a lot of sense to replace the LT1 with the LT2 for 2021 or 2022 - keep the Camaro in the media/relevant while the 6th Gen dies out.

It’s powertrain hardware - shouldn’t require the new electric architecture to control.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I would think that if they can drop the LT2 in easily they will. Much like the C6 did when they dropped the LS2 for the LS3
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Makes a lot of sense to replace the LT1 with the LT2 for 2021 or 2022 - keep the Camaro in the media/relevant while the 6th Gen dies out.

It’s powertrain hardware - shouldn’t require the new electric architecture to control.
Engines are mechatronic systems now. Not only are there temperature sensors everywhere to control things, but there is feedback from things like stability control into the engine. And since the new architecture is supposed to be integrating everything (and also allowing for over the air updates, which could include revised engine tuning) I wouldn't bet against the two being designed to go hand in hand.

Now, on the flip side, it is entirely possible that even if the data protocols are radically different on the new electrical system, GM could either translate the data from the Camaro into something that works for the LT2 or they could re-work the engine control module so that works in a Camaro (more extensively than they'd normally have to at least).

And of course, I could be entirely off base on all this and it turns out that making the LT2 work in a Camaro is a trivial exercise.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #22
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
So many variables...now will they even advertise the car on tv

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #23
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Engines are mechatronic systems now. Not only are there temperature sensors everywhere to control things, but there is feedback from things like stability control into the engine. And since the new architecture is supposed to be integrating everything (and also allowing for over the air updates, which could include revised engine tuning) I wouldn't bet against the two being designed to go hand in hand.

Now, on the flip side, it is entirely possible that even if the data protocols are radically different on the new electrical system, GM could either translate the data from the Camaro into something that works for the LT2 or they could re-work the engine control module so that works in a Camaro (more extensively than they'd normally have to at least).

And of course, I could be entirely off base on all this and it turns out that making the LT2 work in a Camaro is a trivial exercise.
Did the LT2 derive from the LT1, and if so, what could be some of the items they engineered to push it to 495HP? If it is all mechanical, can't they just use the existing LT1 electronics, for the most part?

Again, I think (and believe me I really have no clue here) even if they have to do some R&D and rework some stuff, this would be fairly low risk and would be a great way to extend (and maybe more profitable than perhaps a whole new Gen7) the current 6th Gen, vs. not have a Camaro at all.

For Gen 7, whenever that occurs, I think GM will have to make the Camaro more practical to drive, a la (i hate to say) the Challenger. More visibility, roomier back seat.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #24
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Did the LT2 derive from the LT1, and if so, what could be some of the items they engineered to push it to 495HP? If it is all mechanical, can't they just use the existing LT1 electronics, for the most part?

Again, I think (and believe me I really have no clue here) even if they have to do some R&D and rework some stuff, this would be fairly low risk and would be a great way to extend (and maybe more profitable than perhaps a whole new Gen7) the current 6th Gen, vs. not have a Camaro at all.
So would that make it a LT 1.5 then lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So would that make it a LT 1.5 then lol
mmmm...more like LT 3/2
Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #26
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
If Chevy has no intent of producing a 7th gen Camaro, then forget the engine, it isn't worth any money spent towards making it happen.

Assuming the engine can be put into that car with relatively little work (aside from all the testing and tuning to make sure the MRC, and traction control type goodies are calibrated for the extra forces that come from extra power), then GM would be completely stupid for not putting it in the Camaro. The Challenger and Mustang both offer higher HP models than the Camaro (without including Shelby or Hellcat models)...... So in the interest of competition, there is no logical answer for not putting this motor into the car.

We shall see what happens.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #27
Mountain

Quote:

Understand that, but, from what it seems, the LT2 is a reworked LT1. Not some totally brand-new engine, with a bunch of new crazy tech that was developed fresh just for the C8 and it's electronic architecture.

What I am saying is that the engine, itself, has no absolute tie to the C8 architecture. The intake, exhaust, ignition, etc, are all things that could be "tuned-in" to work with the Camaro's engine controller and adjusted to the Camaro's current systems; if anything, a similar part that is compatible with the Camaro's system could be used for the data input/output. It's not like there are specific sensors, throttle bodies and whatnot made specifically for the LT2/C8 combination that HAVE to be used otherwise you cant control the LT2 (thus making the LT2 exclusive to the C8). It's still a Gen V, LT-family, OHV V8...

Quote:

For Gen 7, whenever that occurs, I think GM will have to make the Camaro more practical to drive, a la (i hate to say) the Challenger. More visibility, roomier back seat.
I saw some cut-aways of the LT2. The two things I noted were that (1.) the throttle body is bigger (LT5 95MM?) and (2.) the intake manifold is a similar design as the LT1, but looks to have longer and wider runners. Of course, the headers (3.) are drastically different. Likely, the heads (4.) are improved and the camshaft (5.) is optimized for the new intake system, headers and improved cylinder heads.

I think the Camaro, if and when a 7th gen eventually comes out, will be a new animal from what is used to...

Last edited by Mountain; 07-19-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #28
Mountain

Motortrend has some good pictures of C8. Here are some of the LT2. The one very realistic thing that would keep the LT2 from the Camaro is this: engine orientation: on the LT2, the intake faces towards the rear; if the intake can simply be rotated around and will bolt up no problem - fine. But, if it will require a new intake, it will take sharing the LT2 on a larger volume program to justify investment into a new intake and also re-certifying the engine power numbers (amongst re-cerifying the car's fuel economy and emissions).