Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #295
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not referring to the Limp Mode issues but the increase in performance between the base models and the Track edition models. GT350 - GT350R, ZL1 - ZL1 1LE.
The ZL1 isn't a dedicated track car so it does everything well (triple threat). The ZL1-1LE sacrifices in two areas to dominate in the other and Chevy says straight out that its not for everyone.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #296
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not referring to the Limp Mode issues but the increase in performance between the base models and the Track edition models. GT350 - GT350R, ZL1 - ZL1 1LE.
OK however, you did state Tech and dilemma which equates to limp mode.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #297
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The ZL1 isn't a dedicated track car so it does everything well (triple threat). The ZL1-1LE sacrifices in two areas to dominate in the other and Chevy says straight out that its not for everyone.
So I ask Al when he was at the WPB BJ Auction if the ride of the ZL1 1LE was about the same as the Gen5 Z/28 which I also owned prior to selling it once I got my '17 ZL1. He said it "can be" or it can be "tighter" and/or "less forgiving" depending on the setup the owner has in the car (just that line right there gets me excited, a car that comes configurable from the factory....sigh). From the factory, the ride will be similar to the Gen5 Z/28 BUT with all the creature comforts and power of the Gen6 ZL1 which will result in Camaro PERFECTION as far as I am concerned. The Gen5 Z/28 was not that bad on the road. Was it a Cadillac? No. Was it miserable? Absolutely not. I am 50+ years old and loved every minute in that car whether I was on the track or on my way to/from the track. My only complaint was it was a little under powered compared to my Gen5 ZL1. Having that addressed is all I needed to hear. IMHO, the ZL1 1LE is still a triple threat with a little more emphasis in one of the areas than the standard Gen6 ZL1 which I own and love.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #298
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #299
Camaro Maybe

Drives: BMW 7 Series, Camaro Maybe
Congrats to Chevy and the Camaros design team!!!! What a super car destroyer. This car is really faster and better than any Ferrari save the subjective looks and reputation.

God bless America!!
Camaro Maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #300
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
This is a true super car/sports car now. Any journalist that continues to deny that fact is probably a CNN or MSNBC contributor as well having a bias on display for all the world to see.
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #301
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Imagine if Jan Magnussen or Tommy Milner were behind the wheel...
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #302
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
They ran a 7:13 unofficially according to Motor Trend:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...t-test-review/

Quote:
I mention the above because Camaro bossman Al Oppenheiser shared an after-dinner story with us about his new Camaro ZL1 1LE, the laser-focused track-day special version of the brutal ZL1. A Camaro engineer who I’m gonna name (Bill Wise) knocked off a 7:16.03 lap of the legendary Nordschleife circuit at the Nürburgring. For some perspective, a Ferrari Enzo did a 7:25.21, a Ferrari 488 GTB did a 7:21.63, and a Porsche 911 GT2 RS did a 7:18.00. Bill was driving a Camaro. Crazy, no? Want to hear crazier? That 7:16.03 is quicker than any other General Motors (cough, Corvette, cough) product has gone around the ’Ring. His time is also more than 13 seconds quicker than what the standard ZL1 has done, 7:29.60. Al’s story, however, was one of tragedy. A little window of time had suddenly opened up one afternoon in Germany, and Bill jumped into the red ZL1 1LE and managed to run a lap in the 7:13 neighborhood. A Lexus LFA Nürburgring package ran a 7:14.64. But because everything happened so fast, Team Camaro didn’t document it. No GoPro, no one thought to hit record on the PDR, no onboard data capture equipment—nothing. These things happen, though mostly it seems to Camaros.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #303
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
How does it sacrifice in other areas? The ZL1-1LE is 63 pounds lighter and has 325s in the rear. It can achieve the same quarter mile times (or better) than the ZL1.

Sure its going to be a rougher ride and not a daily driver. But its going to one hell of a weekend car to drive around town.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #304
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
If your wife has any substantial chest at all....she is NOT going to like all that bouncing around....But you might, LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #305
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone580 View Post
How does it sacrifice in other areas? The ZL1-1LE is 63 pounds lighter and has 325s in the rear. It can achieve the same quarter mile times (or better) than the ZL1.

Sure its going to be a rougher ride and not a daily driver. But its going to one hell of a weekend car to drive around town.
Read the motor trend link above your post...the regular ZL1 is simply a joy in tour mode. If I lived close to several road courses the 1LE would likely be in the stable as it is a weekend car for me, but the regular is honestly a better option & glad I went with it. The article was as I expected. Simply tickled to death what GM has brought to the table with these cars...outstanding!!

I 'think' the A10 will be able to consistently beat the 1LE in the 1/4 if what we are seeing from members and early 1LE times stay consistent...I'm not a big 1/4 mile guy & did think the bigger tire / dig may be a factor & in favor for the 1LE too, but not so sure now. I'm just assuming the extra downforce may the drawback there, but let's be honest...The 1LE was made to shine in the turns.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote