Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: When will the Z/28 be revealed?
50th Anniversary Celebration 39 27.66%
Detroit Auto Show 44 31.21%
New York Auto Show 19 13.48%
Other 39 27.66%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #71
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The thing has been running around for almost a year. I'm sure it's more than ready to go. For some reason, GM just doesn't want to reveal 6th gen Camaros at auto shows any more.
The ZL1 was revealed at NY and the 1LE at Chicago. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #72
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The ZL1 was revealed at NY and the 1LE at Chicago. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
The ZL1 was shown at the Turbo 4 reveal and the 1LE was revealed before Chicago. Chicago was just its first public appearance.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #73
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
The thing has been running around for almost a year. I'm sure it's more than ready to go. For some reason, GM just doesn't want to reveal 6th gen Camaros at auto shows any more.

Might cannibalize sales of the ZL1 or 1LE if the Z/28 is revealed too early.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #74
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Might cannibalize sales of the ZL1 or 1LE if the Z/28 is revealed too early.
Not likely....at least not noticeably anyways...Those who want one are probably waiting as it is (or have bought a 1LE for the time being)....

If it's built like a Z/28, it'll be very sparse on the interior...not attractive to the same sort of person looking at a ZL1....

And if it's priced like a Z/28, it could very well be nearly twice the price of a SS/1LE...not attractive to....well, most people.

But for the 1500 or so special people who get one, it'll be just right, blisteringly fast, and worth every penny.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #75
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
So I heard a rumor (from someone within the management group @ Daytona Speedway Inc) that Chevy is could be targeting the Rolex24 @ Daytona to unveil the ZR-1 Vette. Could they do both the ZR-1 and Z/28. If the Z/28 has the same LS5 that we are hearing is in the ZR-1, that would be really cool. They both seem to have radical aero and would look awesome sitting side by side.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #76
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

And if it's priced like a Z/28, it could very well be nearly twice the price of a SS/1LE...not attractive to....well, most people.
That's a 5th Gen thing. Before the 5th Gen retardation, the Z/28 wasn't absurdly priced above everything else. And given how 2015 Z/28s are still sitting on dealer lots with $20,000 discounts, I doubt GM would make that same pricing mistake again.

Of course, this is GM we are talking about, so anything is possible.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #77
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
That's a 5th Gen thing. Before the 5th Gen retardation, the Z/28 wasn't absurdly priced above everything else. And given how 2015 Z/28s are still sitting on dealer lots with $20,000 discounts, I doubt GM would make that same pricing mistake again.

The same people are in charge of the program...the same formulas have been followed...so I wouldn't expect much to change with respect to the Z/28, either.

The biggest mistake with the Z/28 in Gen 5...wasn't its price. They just built too many...overestimated the demand...Track cars are extremely niche...should have only produced 500 per year...IMHO.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #78
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

I'll keep repeating this until I no longer have to:

Halo cars are built to sell the rest of the lineup, not themselves. The fact that the Z/28 barely sold doesn't matter so much as how good it was at selling everything else.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #79
Bhobbs

Quote:

You can't really compare a 5th gen Z/28 to any other Zs, especially the Z28s of the 4th gen. Those cars were just the V8 car with a Z28 slapped on the side. They weren't built for track performance. The 1st gen Z/28s are the closest thing we have, and they were far less advanced than the 5th gen Zs. If GM continues to build Z/28s, like the 5th gen version, people will get accustomed to $70+k Camaros and the shock will wear off. Then, the performance will be the biggest issue.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #80
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
Quote:
The same people are in charge of the program...the same formulas have been followed...so I wouldn't expect much to change with respect to the Z/28, either.

The biggest mistake with the Z/28 in Gen 5...wasn't its price. They just built too many...overestimated the demand...Track cars are extremely niche...should have only produced 500 per year...IMHO.
It's price was definitely the problem. No one was going to pay $75,000 for a vehicle when one sitting right next to it would outrun it all while having an AC and radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Halo cars are built to sell the rest of the lineup, not themselves. The fact that the Z/28 barely sold doesn't matter so much as how good it was at selling everything else.
Yeah, that must be why the Z/28 was released at the tailend of the 5th Gen run: to sell all of those 10, 11, 12, and 13 Camaros.

Quote:
You can't really compare a 5th gen Z/28 to any other Zs, especially the Z28s of the 4th gen. Those cars were just the V8 car with a Z28 slapped on the side. They weren't built for track performance. The 1st gen Z/28s are the closest thing we have, and they were far less advanced than the 5th gen Zs. If GM continues to build Z/28s, like the 5th gen version, people will get accustomed to $70+k Camaros and the shock will wear off. Then, the performance will be the biggest issue.
Every modern car is much more advanced than its 1960s counterpart.
And I doubt people will get accustomed to a $75K Camaro since the $37K Camaros are sitting.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #81
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
MuhThugga. Why didn't the Z/28 sell in high numbers when the price was discounted $20k? Driving a full out, teeth rattling track car isn't everyone's thing. That's why we have a 1LE and ZL1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #82
Mr. Wyndham

You don't like it...I get that. But you really aren't making much sense.

Quote:
It's price was definitely the problem. No one was going to pay $75,000 for a vehicle when one sitting right next to it would outrun it all while having an AC and radio.
1800 people did.

It's not about being the fastest. If it was, we'd all be saving up for LaFerraris, right?

It's a track car. It has one reason to exist: To tackle track days. Find another car with that equipment, that goal, and that engineering focus...and you'll also find it costs twice or three times as much. And with that said - there is a tiny, tiny market for such a car.

Quote:
Yeah, that must be why the Z/28 was released at the tailend of the 5th Gen run: to sell all of those 10, 11, 12, and 13 Camaros.
Nope. You don't seem to realize that Camaros and Corvettes make the news. The news reports on the CHEVROLET Camaros and CHEVROLET Corvettes...that gets people reading the word CHEVROLET. Some will need a new car someday...and remember that they read about a CHEVROLET. Others will actually go to dealers to see one...and leave with a Sonic.

The benefit is not so narrow-minded as the Camaro, alone.

Cars like these also serve as a test-bed for new Technologies. Have you noticed that the new Colorado ZR2 happens to be sporting an improved version of the DSSV dampers that debuted on the Z/28?

Quote:
And I doubt people will get accustomed to a $75K Camaro since the $37K Camaros are sitting.
Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure many thought that we'd never see $100,000 Corvettes...

I think that perhaps your real issue is that it's called a "Z/28". Maybe it's a sore spot that being so expensive; you, I, and many others can't justify buying the nameplate. I felt the same way at first...then I realized how awesome it was that a "Z/28" was impressing the world over.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #83
Bhobbs

Quote:
I know modern cars are much more advanced than their 60s counterparts. What I meant is the 5th gen Z/28 was much more advanced than the base SS, than the 69 was to its base V8.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #84
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

This is all true, except for one tiny part of the formula...the LS7. That was an engine that had been in production for six years. The R&D and all of that type of overhead had already been paid. It was an engine that didn't have a car. I agree that they should've kept the production to 500. It is a very niche car, I would daily drive one,(w/ ac option of course) but I'm weird like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

To be sure. GM would like nothing better than to read a headline like "Just when you thought it couldn't get any better...".

I can only hope for one of two things. Either they build a Z/28 priced for the masses, or make the car so bad ass and special that it drives the price of the 5th gen Z/28 into the dirt so I can get one of those...
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote